Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 11:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the response, i think i am really the minority here lol. I have driven the Jazz and it doesn't felt it had 90bhp under the hood. Have not tried the 1.2l swift so can't comment on that. I agree that 1.2l is fine for usual city driving, but there are few people who would like to have bigger better performing engines.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Imagine a turbocharged or supercharged 1.2 K series Swift.
More than turbo charging, a more efficient option for petrols seems to be super charging considering the higher number of revs than diesel variants. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:32   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Y...
If the Polo was launched with the 1.2 TSI i would have booked it day one.
T..
My previous post probably explain why this won't happen in a hurry.
In fact i don't expect ANY manufacturer introducting turbocharged petrol hatches anytime in the near future.

Sigh.
Old 11th June 2010, 13:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
My previous post probably explain why this won't happen in a hurry.
In fact i don't expect ANY manufacturer introducting turbocharged petrol hatches anytime in the near future.

Sigh.
I'd agree with you on the turbocharging front, although supercharging is a good option for small engines. The company i work for is actually exploring this possibility. (fingers crossed) !
Old 11th June 2010, 13:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well I guess its partially due to the govt taxes but also because of public perception of "right balance between power and mileage". Same as whats happening in the bike scene with 150cc bikes. There is a popular perception that anything beyond 150cc is too powerful, too dangerous and is not fuel efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
More than turbo charging, a more efficient option for petrols seems to be super charging considering the higher number of revs than diesel variants. Correct me if I am wrong.
I thought turbocharging and supercharging are the same thing. What's the difference?
Old 11th June 2010, 13:53   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Well I guess its partially due to the govt taxes but also because of public perception of "right balance between power and mileage". Same as whats happening in the bike scene with 150cc bikes. There is a popular perception that anything beyond 150cc is too powerful, too dangerous and is not fuel efficient.

I thought turbocharging and supercharging are the same thing. What's the difference?
The idea of turbo charging and super charging are same. That is to pressurize the air. The difference lies in how it achieves this. Turbo chargers use exhaust for running the turbine and thus pressurizing the air. On the other hand, super chargers are belt driven from the engine and thus use engine power for running the turbine.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:16   #52
BANNED

I have a feeling that a supercharged engine mat be taxed for the capacity incl. the supercharger. Also, VW has a 1.2TSi and all reports are very good.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Looking at the response, i think i am really the minority here lol. I have driven the Jazz and it doesn't felt it had 90bhp under the hood. Have not tried the 1.2l swift so can't comment on that. I agree that 1.2l is fine for usual city driving, but there are few people who would like to have bigger better performing engines.
Super minority !!

With sales growing 25-30 % - factories chock a bloc - car manufacturers have no time ( rightly so) for "performance " cars or engines

just go with the flow of what's avl !!
Old 11th June 2010, 14:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

When will this 1.2L madness end?

When the government starts giving subsidies for sub 1L cars!
Old 11th June 2010, 16:18   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think there is a chink in the law. Turbo-charging, is the name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
price-sensitive hatchback segment.
Part of the reason why VW hasn't yet introduced the 1.2TSI in Polo in India.
Bang on. Price that is the main reason we don't see powerful cars here.
Indian market is very sensitive to price and even more in Km/Ltr.
Its the simple reason why the oil burning swift (Diesel) is a huge hit even though it rattles like mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
In short I think with the new generation 1.2l engine we can eat the cake and have it too.
Spoke like a true Km/Ltr man. But for atleast a few blokes performance is the norm and not the Km/Ltr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Also frankly speaking, what do we really do with powerful cars in India ? Any decent road where you can do 40+, the cops are waiting with radars
Would you rather drive a Baleno with 45bhp at less than 40Km/Hr ?

If you have 100 or 200bhp does't mean you have to drive like a loon, does it ? Many blokes drives 4x4 on the road at least some of them are designed as off road tools. Then why buy one and use it on the road ?

My point is, there is nothing like "enough" power. Power is never enough more the merrier.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Bang on. Price that is the main reason we don't see powerful cars here.
Price is indeed one of the main reasons. There is also another reason why a company will not sell a bread and butter 1.2L for the masses and another one for the enthusiasts with a 1.6L even at a price differential of 1 lac or more. The 1.6L will develop a reputation for low FE and will eventually start affecting the sales of the 1.2L which would probably be a lot more fuel efficient. This is what happened to the Palio and it's a case study now.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj
If you have 100 or 200bhp does't mean you have to drive like a loon, does it ?
What are we supposed to then do with a nice powerful car ? Just boast that we have a powerful car and drive like the other guy in his M800 ? What's the point in having even a 1000 horses under the hood, if there is no opportunity to let them loose ?

P.S.: The lucky ones in South India could maybe unleash them on the track once in a blue-moon, which is not even an option for the ones up north.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are we supposed to then do with a nice powerful car ? Just boast that we have a powerful car and drive like the other guy in his M800 ? What's the point in having even a 1000 horses under the hood, if there is no opportunity to let them loose ?
You don't have to really let loose to appreciate a powerful car even in city driving. I have been driving an M800 for several years and mostly drive a Fiesta now. The difference in sheer driveability between the two cannot even be compared. It's just way easier in a more powerful car. Less gear changes, changing lanes with ease, finding gaps and taking them in a blink etc. All this can be done without driving rashly In a less powerful car, half the time goes in planning moves. And by the time you start to execute, some other car would have pulled a move on you. I agree with yzfrj. There can never be enough power. More the merrier.

Last edited by Gilead : 11th June 2010 at 16:45.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Agree that mostly driveability gets better with a more powerful car. But again that is not a direct mapping to power / displacement as the 1.2K vs 1.3G engines of the Swift clearly show.

And even a small car (M800 for eg.) can be fun in the right hands and give more powerful cars a run for their money - Manek should know.

P.S.: BTW, I have nothing against powerful cars. Just that there is isn't much chance of us getting them here due to the way market demand is currently. Maybe it will change in the future, like when from 100cc bikes, the shift happened to 150cc+.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:16   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The 1.6L will develop a reputation for low FE and will eventually start affecting the sales of the 1.2L which would probably be a lot more fuel efficient
Interesting view indeed.

Quote:
if there is no opportunity to let them loose ?
B 'ji. I've seen speed limit of 100 when I drove down to KL on Bangalore - Salem highway. So more power can be very useful on the highway. I really know as I drove a Zen and was always around 80 and max 100km/Hr. I was missing my vtec and even would have settled for dad's oil burning swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The difference in sheer driveability between the two cannot even be compared. It's just way easier in a more powerful car. Less gear changes, changing lanes with ease, finding gaps and taking them in a blink etc.
True, its simply effortless to drive on the highway and a lot safer overtaking tool.

Quote:
I agree with yzfrj. There can never be enough power. More the merrier.
Thanks mate.

PS : Anyway lets not forget Spiderman "With great power comes great responsibility"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks