Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 09:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano Convertible

source: World Exclusive - Tata Nano goes topless | Indian Car and Bike Blog

Quote:
We don’t know if Tata has any plans to unveil a Tata Nano convertible, but we have got our hands on not one but two Nanos with the roof chopped off. The Nano ‘Spyder’ was spotted ferrying visitors at its plant in Sanand. Maybe the Spyder was a one-off model, just used to take visitors around the plant so that they can catch panoramic views. The two particular models pictured above have merely got their roof chopped off and the vehicle does seem to be running well. However, those who have observed the underbody of the Nano do know that there is something more to it than that.
Hit the jump for our detailed technical analysis.

We request you to drive the Nano over a ramp at any of Tata Motors’ Service Stations and observe its underbody as it throws light on how the Nano is made. Unlike a conventional car which has no separate frame (like in body on frame vehicles), the Nano is monocoque but not to the extent that you think it is. What Tata have done (and a genius invention at that) is sort of blend a conventional body-on-frame chassis and a monocoque construction into one. Checking the underbody, there appears to be a separate frame similar to body-on-frame vehicles but instead of the body being bolted to the chassis, it is welded making it an unibody or monocoque. It is a different kind of concept but that’s their key to success and a novel one at that as the Nano has passed European crash regulations too.
In normal monocoque vehicles, the longitudinal mebers and transverse members are belnded with the body unlike the Nano, where it appears separate.
So, its easy to do a convertible version in a body-on-frame vehicle than a monocoque as the rigidity lies in the frame and chopping off the roof will not require as much reinforcement as required in a monocoque. So will Tata make a convertible version of the Nano? We quite hope they do and pave the path for popularising convertibles in India, which so far has just one such vehicle from San Motors for around Rs 6 lakhs but a convertible Nano for Rs 2 lakhs wouldn’t hurt (even if the rear seats have to go). We hope Tata is listening.
Disclaimer – Above information is purely based on our own observations of Nano’s body.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano Convertible-tatananoconvertible.jpg  

Old 12th June 2010, 10:02   #2
BHPian

This looks pretty cool. I think TATA are getting this ready in preparation for the Nano's introduction in the European market. Convertible's are more common and accepted in those markets than in India.

They could introduce it in India, but I wonder how much they will sell considering the climatic conditions and pollution levels we find in our cities. It will definitely sell more than the San Storm did though
Old 12th June 2010, 11:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks really cool. Not very practical for India, but with the Nano, the price might make it into a desirable 2nd/3rd car (a convertible).
Old 12th June 2010, 11:18   #4
BHPian

Nano (topless) is looking great !!! This car will suit as a car for each & every player after the Formula 1 season finishes & parade of drivers is conducted.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Looks really cool. Not very practical for India, but with the Nano, the price might make it into a desirable 2nd/3rd car (a convertible).
Fully agree with you. Even if the cost is less, I am thinking that how much it will sell in India.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel this is a completely meaningless speculation based on the pictures. My guess is that these cars are one-off models used to ferry visitors inside the plant, as the article itself says. Tata has been known to do that all the time.

Around 5 years ago, I visited Tata Pimpri (near Pune) plant for some work and was driven around the plant in a convertible Indigo. Although we were amazed by the vehicle and really enjoyed the ride, it was always known that the model was a one-off model for this specific purpose.

I guess the same is the case here.

Thanks,
-AD

Last edited by Dr.AD : 12th June 2010 at 12:06.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well, it does look really good. But I doubt it is going in for production. Primarily because of one thing that is mentioned in the article. "It is being used to ferry guests around the Sanand Plant." If you go to the Tata Motors facilities, you shall notice that this is a sort of a tradition. I have seen topless Indicas, Indigos ( with an extra row of seats in the boot ), and a topless Winger, all used to ferry guest around the plant.
Old 12th June 2010, 12:30   #8
BHPian

I feel that convertibles do not make much sense in indian climate and environment. But getting one on the cheapest car could make one think
Old 12th June 2010, 13:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanx Sid , this is the one i was talking about in some other Nano related thread. As julupani said Tata Factories have topless Indicas,Indigos and even Wingers.As suggested earlier don't think Tata's will ever try to go for a Topless Nano, as of now.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:41   #10
BHPian

Is it actually a convertible? I mean do they have a roof that comes on?
Old 12th June 2010, 14:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it actually a convertible? I mean do they have a roof that comes on?
No its just a chop job....
Old 12th June 2010, 14:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

uh oh whats so special about it. Tata had chopped Indica's to ferry guests around in their plant too. Doesnt means that its going to go into production.

Can I also request that this thread be closed as it serves no purpose.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 12th June 2010 at 14:54.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
No its just a chop job....
Looks more like a photochop to me.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

They cant just chop of the roof and introduce it in the market.Convertibles require further re-engineering because of the loss in the stiffness of the chassis.So no chance of this coming here,unless Tata wants to spends another few crores to get it designed.
Old 12th June 2010, 18:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

no photochop, no convertible.

these are open cars deliberately cut off for visitors having ferry through the assembly shops.

there are indica limousine with roof cut, winger and almost all tata models that have roof cut off in pimpri tata motors plant.

the one shown above is of Sanand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks