Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 00:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
The rear of the XJ looks best among cars in India IMHO. loved it!!!
+1 to that. Tail looks simply awesome.

Looking at the pictures, one of my elderly colleague remarked, " To me, it looks like a beautiful women's backside, with her dupatta gracefully falling from either side." Interesting, I liked his analogy!

Last edited by SunilM : 16th June 2010 at 00:13.
Old 16th June 2010, 00:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Awesome looker. Clearly the #1 choice in the luxury category for me. How does pricing compare to S500 and 750i?
Old 16th June 2010, 10:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Also the military are increasing spending and a lot of contracts will go for locally supplied items. tata won't want to miss out on that !
Any country for that matter would prefer local vendor(s)for their contracts (defence in particular),if they meet their technical specifications and this is no secret.I have been a part of few defence projects and i know how the system works, the quality checks, etc.Your post is primarily based on assumptions, not facts.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the tail is the only angle from which I don't like the car. Looks are truly subjective
Old 16th June 2010, 12:04   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
.Your post is primarily based on assumptions, not facts.
On the contrary, Jane's Defence Intelligence reports that Tata are talking to the Indian Militry and offering a modernised Defender. Still a long way to go in terms of specs, cost etc but first step is to establish a production base.

Lets get back to topic - Jag XJ's
Old 16th June 2010, 12:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Somehow the tail is the only angle from which I don't like the car. Looks are truly subjective
Well,obviously my jaw's gonna hit the floor when I see one in the flesh,but I think she's too big to pull off that coupe profile.Stylistically,she just falls short of the XF's perfection,or the Rapide's!

And you can't deny the fact that she's got a heavy,big rear.The blacked out D-pillar doesn't help at all,looking completely out of sync in a car like this.That's just my opinion though.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
ground clearance ? Have heard Jags come with pedestrian airbags, any more information on that ?
Lol not yet. It does have the bonnet deployment feature though, where on sensing pedestrian contact, pyrotechnic actuators quickly deploy and raise the bonnet thus increasing the travel distance on contact and absorbing the impact better.

Surprisingly no interior pics yet? The interior is one major selling point for this car
Old 17th June 2010, 12:04   #23
BHPian

I see that its got only 6-speed to Merc's and BMW's 8. Its a car prefereable over the 7 and S though. The trio of Germans look subtle compared to the XJ.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Range Rover has just introduced a new 4.4 litre V8 diesel producing nearly 700NM of torque @ 2000 rpm, and also has a 8 speed paddle shift. I think it will do nicely in the XJ as well, a bit of sharing within the family, just like our own Safari and Sumo!!!

The XJ has (not sure if standard) a 1200 wtt Bowers & Wilkins (their basic PC speakers cost nearly £400 here) with 20 speakers, 30 GB hard disk memory, 7.1 surround supporting both Pro Logic IIx and DTS Neo. Taking the family share thing further, this would be a nice upgrade for the Aria. ;-)

Last edited by shortbread : 17th June 2010 at 17:49. Reason: audio upgrade
Old 17th June 2010, 17:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar already has 3.0 V6 diesel in the XJ and that makes much better sense to launch it in India, to compete with the S350 CDI and 730 LD.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:12   #26

The problem with launching the deisels in India at the moment is purely costs. Because these are CBUs being imported in India, the duties make the cost uncompetitive.This is the reason they have only launched the 5L petrols for both the XF and the XJ. In my opinion, this will also position the brand above the germans and should only help when (if) they start importing CKUs and assembling them locally. Should be the same with all the other JLR models.

The 6 and 8 speeds gearboxes are sourced from ZF, same as BMW and I can envisage the Jags moving to them in the near future.

The B&W system is available as an upgrade (I think for £1000-£1200 in the UK) but is standard on the higher models. It is a treat to listen to and is touted as one of the finest car media systems. Can't imagine them in an Aria as a standard fit as it is too late to package those 21 speakers now. B&W were involved from the beginning during the design of the XJ to package the speakers hence the excellent accoustics. Plus, how many people would be willing to pay nearly a Lakh extra for the option?

Check out the XJ configurator on the Jag website Jaguar International - CONFIGURE YOUR UNIQUE XJ
Old 20th June 2010, 17:33   #27
BHPian

Nice car. Any interior pics?
Old 20th June 2010, 18:51   #28
Team-BHP Support

My theoty is that Jaguar are carefully building its brand up. If you bring in diesels and hence create large demand with so few dealers, it will lead to dissatisfaction in terms of service.

Best to bring the V8's which sell to a limited market and build up infrastructure first
Old 24th June 2010, 18:13   #29
BHPian

I too think they are building the brand as it is not as popular as Mercs, BMW's and Audi's for a common man with deep pockets .

More pics from all angles would be great and it truly looks mean, big & luxurious
Old 24th June 2010, 23:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

it looks menacing.. saw one brand new parked at the famous for exotics DHFL Building at Bandra east in mumbai, a silver XFR, a Panamera, H2 Hummer and A8 W12 were parked besides the new Jag

Most Viewed