Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Luxury or Practical Vehicle ???
Luxury(eg.Audi,BMW,Merc's etc) 51 38.93%
Practical(eg.Toyota,Honda,Maruti etc) 80 61.07%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 11:09   #16
Team-BHP Support

My vote right now goes for PRACTICALITY - because I don't have the money to buy Audi/BMW/Merc.

But in future, I might vote for either LUXURY (when I have pots of money) or ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS (meaning public transport - if I lose all the money I have).
Old 16th June 2010, 11:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post

Anyways assuming that you had enough money on hand to buy a budget practical or an expensive luxury vehicle,which one would you choose.
I would like to meet the guy who has enough money to buy an S class but buys a maruti or a hyundai because it is more "reliable".
Old 16th June 2010, 11:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

1) All brands are relative. Toyota LC200 will cost close to Rs. 1 crore. 3-series/C-class are cheaper than LC200. This must be like Japs vs European.

2) Voted for Practicality. First I cant afford Luxury, next, I cannot digest high cost of spare parts specially the case with Audi, Merc and BMW. What an OVRM costs Rs. 1 lakh ?

3) Europeans have certain amount of Ego with them, they dont change/make necessary alterations to their cars when the come to India. IIRC, there are many cases of European cars break down as compared to Japs.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised

Guys,

I am surprised by the results. I know India loves HONDA and TOYOTA but the question is 'If money was not an object'.

In the current situation, I will go for practicality or 'practical luxury' (read VW).

But if I had more money, why wouldn't I afford AUDI or BMW. They are so much better.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:22   #20
BHPian

I have the money to buy luxury (read import CBUs) but I still don't find one I can drive to office daily. This vehicle suits best to me since:
Practicality or Luxury-800px2008_toyota_hilux_ggn25r_sr5_4door_utility_01.jpg
It can climb the almost 45 degree ramp to the covered parking which no sedan can

My wife won't complain of less boot space when she goes on those monster shopping expeditions

& I can conveniently ask annoying passengers to sit in the back(flatbed).

Last, but not the least, I will opt for a fiberglass cover for the flatbed so children won't make it their playground.
So, you can judge what I voted for.

Last edited by JustCause : 16th June 2010 at 12:25.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Highly confused thread and hence the posts are even more confused. I don't quite get what the purpose here is, some comparisons being made make no sense.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:37   #22
BHPian

Luxury or Practicality - These need not be mutually exclusive. Both are relative terms and vary from person to person.

For eg-: An Accord is both practical and quite luxurious as well. Same can be said about the big 3 if one has the money. It would be highly inappropriate to call them impractical.

I voted for practicality; because its the first thing I look for. Once that is satisfied; then I look for most comfy in the price range. So both conditions are met in the given budget.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:20   #23
BHPian

Practicality and luxury varies from individual to individual. For me swift is a practical car for my usage, but for somebody who can afford only a Maruti 800 or a Nano. Swift is a luxury to him. For me owning a sedan say a Honda city is a luxury.

I think the terminology "Practicality" and "Luxury" must be detailed properly to avoid confusion.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:34   #24
BHPian

Practicality till the time I don't have enough money to afford luxury.

Where do we bring in the word showk; hobby, inclination, pursuit into the picture?

The day I will have enough money to buy a BMW, 20 years (God! Make this a little shorter) I will buy it. I have the inclination, I have the pursuit.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:44   #25
BHPian

If I can afford it, then definitely luxury. And a beamer it will be ofcourse for the sheer driving pleasure. Freude am Fahren!!

For the time being, sticking to practical cars with the most luxury in its segment.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:53   #26
BHPian

it is a luxury to drive a Swift in Delhi traffic and cos you never know which idiot is going to hit your Audi with a bike/nano/auto/bus/dinky car...
Old 16th June 2010, 13:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for "practical". With increasing brood in the joint family, I would prefer a comfortable family mover over fast going sedan.
Old 16th June 2010, 14:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

I havent voted. Because of following reason.

I might be wrong, but I dont think practicality and luxury brands are mutually exclusive. Luxury is a way of life for some reason,
For e.g. Living in a bungalow might be luxury for me. But if I am a millionaire in dollar terms that would be more practical approach for me. As I have some lifestyle needs which I need to fulfill.
Same thing if I am CEO and come in an Alto, people might think my company is not doing well etc. in that case getting a Merc Audi would be more practical for my social image.

Basically I believe they are not mutually exclusive states, its an effect of my earning and other factors.

But I belive the survey would have been more sense, if the question was to chosoe between Practical cars and Performance oriented cars. I guess that would have been mutually exclusive car.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:04   #29
BHPian

No brainer! If money was not an issue at all, why would I stick to MS/Hyundai???? The luxury brands posted here are by no means 'unreliable' to me.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:05   #30
BHPian

I somehow don't really get the premise of this poll in the first place.

First of all, the comparison should be in the same price bracket or segment. I remember seeing a thread asking 'Fully loaded hatch vs. entry level sedan'. That would be a more pertinent question to ask. Extending this argument further, one could also evaluate the classic 'head vs. heart' question e.g. Punto vs. i20.

If I had the money to buy a Beemer/ Audi, why on earth would I want to settle for a Corolla or Civic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks