Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Luxury or Practical Vehicle ???
Luxury(eg.Audi,BMW,Merc's etc) 51 38.93%
Practical(eg.Toyota,Honda,Maruti etc) 80 61.07%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 15:32   #31
BHPian

I would opt for Practicality, even If I can afford Luxury. Reason = Peace of Mind (Not that the Luxury Cars are problematic). Am Happy with Practical cars and would be happier if there is some sort of Luxury in them .
Old 16th June 2010, 15:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvivek75 View Post

If I had the money to buy a Beemer/ Audi, why on earth would I want to settle for a Corolla or Civic?
Exactly my point. You would opt for Luxury then. You're not a practical person . Not everyone would opt for an Audi or Jaguar if they had the money. I would think 10 times before i put my money on a Jaguar though and still not invest on that .
Old 16th June 2010, 15:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
How about practicality and luxury at the same time (read Lexus LS460)
Hmm, Yeah thats true. But it's a boring sedan to drive right. Why spend so much on a vehicle that is not fun to drive ?? You can buy a practical car and make it as luxurious .
Old 16th June 2010, 15:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
No brainer! If money was not an issue at all, why would I stick to MS/Hyundai???? The luxury brands posted here are by no means 'unreliable' to me.
Exactly! Unless its given that luxury vehicles comes unreliable, why not buy luxury. Its just that I cant afford luxury, so practical cheap vehicle are the only options for me.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
No brainer! If money was not an issue at all, why would I stick to MS/Hyundai???? The luxury brands posted here are by no means 'unreliable' to me.
You'll be amazed to find out how un-reliable expensive cars are with the help of google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I havent voted. Because of following reason.

I might be wrong, but I dont think practicality and luxury brands are mutually exclusive. Luxury is a way of life for some reason,
For e.g. Living in a bungalow might be luxury for me. But if I am a millionaire in dollar terms that would be more practical approach for me. As I have some lifestyle needs which I need to fulfill.
Same thing if I am CEO and come in an Alto, people might think my company is not doing well etc. in that case getting a Merc Audi would be more practical for my social image.

Basically I believe they are not mutually exclusive states, its an effect of my earning and other factors.

But I belive the survey would have been more sense, if the question was to chosoe between Practical cars and Performance oriented cars. I guess that would have been mutually exclusive car.
My idea of the poll was to see ones personality. It is clearly a choice of ones personality. Everyone is unique. Plus its a fun pole, nothing to be serious about.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2010 at 17:03. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 16th June 2010, 16:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Mods can you please edit.

I think i should have put some budget constraints. Maybe there is a confusion because of that. Think it is better to choose on a tight budget than having limitless money on hand. That would be fair. Hope the mods can edit it for me.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2010 at 17:04. Reason: Use the report post button and do mention the specific edits to be made
Old 16th June 2010, 18:19   #37
BHPian

If budget is not a constraint, I would like to have one of each... practical car for day-to-day use and a luxury car for special occasions!
Old 17th June 2010, 00:35   #38
BHPian

True Luxury is owning a one-off custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmania View Post
If budget is not a constraint, I would like to have one of each... practical car for day-to-day use and a luxury car for special occasions!
+1 to that.

Id still prefer something thats easy to drive in everyday traffic & for everyday running. Who wants to be stuck in traffic in a luxo-barge?
Rather drive a practical hatch which will make driving in traffic easier & more enjoyable rather than a tedious lesson in manouvering skill.
Add to that the biggest headache of them all - parking. With a practical hatch, i can park anywhere & in smaller places.
(If anyone is thinking why not hire a driver. Well, i love driving, so a driver is out of the question.)

And for the weekends & those night drives when you can truly enjoy the car, keep a luxury car.

On the other hand, my heart says, instead of keeping a luxury car for weekends & such, have a second practical car, but modded to the hilt
Enjoy driving it (Make it look stock i.e. - a sleeper but mechanically modded enough to put the luxury cars & even some performance cars to shame...And enjoy the feel good factor you get from seeing the look on the faces of the drivers of those cars after you smoke them) & if you want luxury, add it - heck, change the entire interior. Add features which even those luxury cars dont have. Say complete leather detailing, a carputer, ICE that will blow the roof off,etc.
Thereby you have a one of a kind car that no one else in the world will have as its custom made to your taste & requirement.
And it wouldnt cost more than buying a luxury car. Add to that the enjoyment of being involved at every modification step & your in heaven.

In my books, that is true luxury - A one-off custom specially made for you.
Rather than cars which countless people (there would be other rich people out there as well right ) can buy which are exactly the same.

Last edited by Xehaust : 17th June 2010 at 00:54.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:27   #39
BHPian

i would prefer to have both, one as a weekend car and other for daily use or for my wife
( hopefully she doesn't see this)
Old 17th June 2010, 10:40   #40
BHPian

I sold off both my Indica(s) yesterday at Mumbai, for less, and bought a Figo and a used 2003 Maruti 800 5 Speed for Rs 80000. There cannot be a comparison between a M-800 and a Indica/Xeta, but I thought I will have to beg borrow or steal to maintain the cars and the ever thirsty engines in today's times. The last fuel return my LSi gave was 11kmpl with AC on highway. The M800 5 speed is known to be a fuel saver, just bought it in minutes. Indicas had good road handling, power steering and brakes. Though the option of CNG/LPG in M800 can further improve value for money. Thus compromising luxury for practicability.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Practical Luxury ! Hows that ??

Meaning, even if i have tons and tons of money , knowing the quality of roads and pedestrian , stray, 2 wheeler interference in India, i might stick to a high end 5 series or maybe an M5 or RS6 which have infinite power but also are good enough to drive around the family and the weekday office drives. Being a HUGE sportcar fan, practicality in our country says - Feraris, Porsches, Lambos make little sense !
Old 17th June 2010, 11:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Practicality.

I have heard of two cars which supposedly belong to Tirupur. The Lamborghini Gallardo and the Maybach. Given the road conditions that Tirupur and surrounding areas have, I am at a loss to understand how these cars are bought and used here. The moment these cars move out of their multi-billion dollar homes/garages, they are prone to scratches and dents from innumerable two-wheelers, cars, vans, pickups, bullock-carts and people.

So, is having these vehicles practical? Certainly not. At the same time, Tirupur also has its share of Jaguars (one or two), BMWs, Mercs and even a Porsche. These being luxurious are much more practical (Porsche questionable though) than the Maybach and the Lambo.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Mate Luxury with Practicality and the result is Accord.

Voted for practicality.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:43   #44
BHPian

Often what one thinks to be "luxury" can be very practical indeed. Take the Skoda Superb, for example. It has some excellent features which are "practical" but some would term these as "luxurious."

1. The front left ORWM tilts downwards when one reverses to enable one to see what is at the rear without craning one's neck; it is a practical feature to the hilt and not just a gimmick.

2. The puddle lights and the home coming/leaving lights. The whole car lights up each time you enter/leave it, thus improving visibility. One does not have to grope in the dark on switch on the inside car lights, etc.

3. Audio/other controls on the steering. These are not only practical but ensure safety as one does not have to takle eyes off the road but some can call this feature a luxury.

Thus, one can go on and on. Of course, some things, IMO, like the quality of leather would come under the "luxury" category.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:45   #45
BHPian

Often what one thinks to be "luxury" can be very practical indeed. Take the Skoda Superb, for example. It has some excellent features which are "practical" but some would term these as "luxurious."

1. The left ORWM tilts downwards when one reverses to enable one to see what is at the rear without craning one's neck; it is a practical feature to the hilt and not just mere luxury.

2. The puddle lights and the home coming/leaving lights. The whole car lights up each time you enter/leave it, thus improving visibility. One does not have to grope in the dark or switch on the inside car lights, etc.

3. Audio/other controls on the steering. These are not only practical but ensure safety as one does not have to take eyes off the road but some can call this feature a luxury.

Thus, one can go on and on. Of course, some things, IMO, like the quality of leather would come under the "luxury" category.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 17th June 2010 at 18:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks