Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 20:43   #1
BHPian

Automobile Advertisement

In old times people used to buy products by word of mouth. As industry grew the competition started. This led to the berth of advertisement. Started appearing in news paper, road side hoarding so on so forth. Later on it itself became a big industry.
In automobile sector it fallowed the same rule. Old times, advertisement used to project inputs of a car which other cars did not have. Engine cc, seating capacity, open top, it can be any thing connected to the car. As years rolled by glamour started to take over. Cars were made for rich people. It became a status symbol. Once this happened whole concept of ad changed. Child sentiments in a car ad, glamour girl standing next to a car tiring to get some attention, a movie actor explaining handling of a car, I wonder if he knows where the hood lever is. One funny thing is they keep you guessing until the end of ad, finally you know its about the car.

Not all car manufactures do that. I have seen in a mpv ad, thugs tiring to mug the mpv in the night thinking of driver only. Suddenly they realize 8 to 10 footballers in side sleeping. that’s what I call ad for space. I have seen many international ads projecting only their product quality, plane & simple. Rolls Royce ad I love the most (the only sound you hear is clock ticking).
So what is your opinion on my thought. Have you come across any well connected ad or not so. Lets share old or new.
Old 17th June 2010, 22:30   #2
BHPian

I remember this Scorpio ad a few years ago. They use to show a stunning black scorpio in snow and the ad ends with the tag line 'A car you can walk in to, not crawl in to'. I thought it was a well thought out ad. At that time, Scorpio was probably the biggest car around in India and Mahindra used its 'Space' to position the Car rather than its SUV characteristics and other features of the car. But these days, their positioning is around the muscular SUV stance of the scorpio and its 'intelligent' features like tyretronics.
Old 18th June 2010, 00:04   #3
BHPian

Saw this ad once in a magazine. It goes something like this:-

At 20 you were obsessed with curves
At 30 you claimed the curves
At 40 you are still obsessed with curves

Obsession is a passion.

Any guesses which ad this is? Trivia time!!

PS- this ad I saw in an inflight magazine ages ago. It may not be the exact same lines but the jest is still the same!
Old 18th June 2010, 00:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

A Subaru ad airs in USA now - The owner stands next to a totalled subaru (legacy) in the junkyard, thinking how his subaru saved his life , which he shall never forget and was totalled in process. He then unsrews the gear lever knob of his old Subaru as a memento, and drives off in a new subaru. I like the ad becaus of its emphasis on the fact that nothing surpasses the value of human life - and Subaru realizes that.

The Avalon ads with retro themes are also nice - emphasizing the space inside the car.

The Genesis COTY ad was also good.

Among Indian ads - I really liked the Tata Safari - reclaim you life ad - its great!
Old 18th June 2010, 00:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Xylo Ad

Have you seen the Mahindra Xylo AD on the Xylo site? Just click on the watch videos button.

:: Welcome to Mahindra Xylo co.in ::

I could not see the vehicle anywhere but yes there was some very nice and high leg show .

I have full regards to the vehicle but the ad... well... may be Mahindra is matching the demands of modern times.
Old 18th June 2010, 01:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
A Subaru ad airs in USA now - The owner stands next to a totalled subaru (legacy) in the junkyard, thinking how his subaru saved his life , which he shall never forget and was totalled in process. He then unsrews the gear lever knob of his old Subaru as a memento, and drives off in a new subaru. I like the ad becaus of its emphasis on the fact that nothing surpasses the value of human life - and Subaru realizes that.

The Avalon ads with retro themes are also nice - emphasizing the space inside the car.

The Genesis COTY ad was also good.

Among Indian ads - I really liked the Tata Safari - reclaim you life ad - its great!
yeah the subaru adv is really nice concept. it feels great after watching boring american insurance advs..
Old 18th June 2010, 01:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

The current ad on tv for VW Beetle with the tag line "Curves are back". The visual being of a svelte female hogging her way back to curves.
Classic stuff, will stay in the mind and will comeback every time I see a "BUG" henceforth.
Old 18th June 2010, 07:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Any product has an intrinsic value proposition to its target customer base and the job of an advertisement is to bring that in the forefront to connect with the customer.

Two ads that I really like are
1. TATA Safari Dicor - The original DICOR ad which brought out the message that you can go anywhere in this butch SUV. Brings out the Adventure Quotient of the vehicle and tries to connect with AQ of the target customer.

2. Grande MKII - The ad which states that we evaluate things more by the look rather than actual analysis. Brings out the point that give the car a chance by virtue of its features.
Old 18th June 2010, 08:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Saw this ad once in a magazine. It goes something like this:-
At 20 you were obsessed with curves
At 30 you claimed the curves
At 40 you are still obsessed with curves
Obsession is a passion.
Any guesses which ad this is? Trivia time!!
I think it was for VW Beetle, same funda is being used for the one being aired these days except that they stuck to only one liner "curves are back"

The Chevrolet U-Va ad was IMO an apt one which says that space is not a constraint. It specifically targetted the USP of the vehicle. The recent ad for Indica Vista where you see the guy with a open gaped mouth - too crass. Also M-800 ad an old one where a sardar kid runs the 800 everwhere, the ad stressed on the fuel efficiency of M-800 which was the USP of the car.
Old 18th June 2010, 09:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

The best print ad for a car, in my opinion, I saw in an old magazine.

Top of page: "You know what practice makes" in large font
Then a lot of white space
Then the picture of a VW Beetle (the original one), and the VW logo.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 18th June 2010 at 09:39.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The current ad on tv for VW Beetle with the tag line "Curves are back". The visual being of a svelte female hogging her way back to curves.
Classic stuff, will stay in the mind and will comeback every time I see a "BUG" henceforth.
That was a real nice ad though. After seeing the ad my better half asked me "Does the car drink that much fuel?" !!!

Was wondering whether there are any threads related with Best / Worst ad's?
Old 18th June 2010, 14:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The best Print ad for a car I've ever seen.
This Used car ad beats all other ads hands down.

This had come as a froward mail to me, the creator of this really deserves a lot of
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Advertisement-bmw.jpg  

hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 19:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The best Print ad for a car I've ever seen.
This Used car ad beats all other ads hands down.

This had come as a froward mail to me, the creator of this really deserves a lot of

Hats off - hands down one of the best ads I have seen.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:45   #14
Team-BHP Support

Guys, please continue in existing threads for automobile ads. Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks