Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 14:05   #16
BHPian

It will be interesting to know how many Verna and Accent are sold per month. I think Accent, though a decade old, still has some takers.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
It will be interesting to know how many Verna and Accent are sold per month. I think Accent, though a decade old, still has some takers.
Verna never sold in large numbers like Accent did, in spite of having better engine. The reason I believe is ugly looks. But the new one looks a lot better and may change fortunes of Verna in India.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:43   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess they are planning to launch a minor facelifted Verna until they have the All new Verna ready. Even markets like North America are still waiting for new Accent, i doubt Hyundai will launch it in India before other markets.

Hyundai Please Please tune the Suspension sensibly this time, we can live with a stiff ride but not with the terrible POGO STICK ride in currently offered in the Verna. A non Jerky CRDi engine just like the i20 and Elantra would be great too.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:55   #19
BHPian

^^ The stance looks pretty much like the ANHC
Old 18th June 2010, 17:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

The car coming on June 25th will indeed be that ugly verna transform.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Verna never sold in large numbers like Accent did, in spite of having better engine. The reason I believe is ugly looks. But the new one looks a lot better and may change fortunes of Verna in India.
I don't think it was looks that much than the initial price. We had a thread even on how less Vernas there are on the road. I guess with that price customers decided to extend budgets a wee bit and venture into the other 'H' badge territory. Back to the topic. The new one in the first pic looks much more meaty, so much Camry types. Hope they price this one lesser than the entry level Honda ANHC.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post
If Hyundai is launching new models they better be serious, in the past too they've launched few products and then loose interest and the car dies a slow death - e.g. Getz, Sonata ( both old and emberra) , elantra , Tuscon and now Verna. There is hardly any effort from Hyundai to sell Verna, see other manufacturers like Ford and how they have marketed Fiesta in the last couple of years.

Of all the new launches they have in pipline I'm only interested in Elantra as it was the only true enthusiasts' car from their stable.
Verna Petrol is a Sales disaster, courtesy good competition whereas Verna Diesel needs no formal advertisements as the beast literally has no tough competition in it's segment.

Was Verna Petrol ever clocking good sales numbers?
Old 18th June 2010, 22:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Verna Diesel needs no formal advertisements as the beast literally has no tough competition in it's segment.
No competition? I heard Optra Magnum prices have been revised downwards considerably. So a Magnum ( a C+ segment ) coming at 10 lakhs IS a tough competition to a 9.5 lakh top end Verna ( a C segment ). Whatsay?
Old 18th June 2010, 23:08   #24
BHPian

Guess looks is an individual choice. Personally I always liked the rear looks of the Verna; the front of the Transform is much more appealing to me than that of the (? Maserati inspired according to some) Verna.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
No competition? I heard Optra Magnum prices have been revised downwards considerably. So a Magnum ( a C+ segment ) coming at 10 lakhs IS a tough competition to a 9.5 lakh top end Verna ( a C segment ). Whatsay?
Price wise, it is but how many Optra's compared to a Verna is the prime concern here. Magnum isn't that popular compared to Verna and even if the price revision holds true I don't foresee a considerable dent to Verna's sales.
Old 19th June 2010, 00:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

^^AFAIK Fiesta outsells the Verna.
Old 19th June 2010, 00:40   #27
BHPian

The existing Verna managed to sell pretty decent numbers. It did not exactly set the sales chart on fire though. Maybe Hyundai hope to achieve this feat with the new City inspired Verna! But the question is, how will they manage to compete with the cars that are already well placed into the market. They need to woo customers who are likely to buy the rival branded cars. Marketing will be a major challenge for the Verna I feel. And yes, they better offer air bags too!
Old 19th June 2010, 06:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Better if they do not launch this model. It would only reduce whatever volumes that it is presently selling. What may be beautiful for the Koreans need not be beautiful for Indians.
which model?

Jokes apart, agree with you on the safety kit issue. Also, Hyundai has been fairly prompt with the addition of safety kit for it's cars(i10, i20 etc.)
Old 19th June 2010, 11:34   #29
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The car coming on June 25th will indeed be that ugly verna transform.

are people still buying old ugly verna?

Hyundai please launch new international diesel verna in India.
Old 19th June 2010, 13:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Price wise, it is but how many Optra's compared to a Verna is the prime concern here. Magnum isn't that popular compared to Verna and even if the price revision holds true I don't foresee a considerable dent to Verna's sales.
That is the misfortune in India. We don't give a damn about ugly looks, if it is otherwise ok, and because of this we see more and more ugly cars hitting market. Manufacturers don't give a damn about looks. I see so many ugly cars these days that I have to list out what is not ugly. Anyway, coming to Magnum, it is bigger,better,faster and a segment hihgher than Verna. The only fly in the ointment is lack of people's faith in GM. If the same Magnum had a Skoda badge, it would have sold at least 3 times more than Verna.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed