I would use the night service if it is made available at A.S.S. 90 87.38%
I would still get my car serviced on weekdays in day time. 3 2.91%
I would still wait for Saturdays to get my car serviced in day time. 10 9.71%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 11:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Evening / Night Service Centres?

Few days back, I was discussing about cars with a friend who stays in Gurgaon.

He told me that there are some authorised service centres in Gurgaon, which provide a night service for servicing of cars. You can drop the car at the service centre after dinner and collect it next morning on your way to the office.

I feel that this is a very innovative idea from authorised service centres.

Such kind of night service would be very useful for working professionals who find it difficult to schedule car servicing during the weekdays and end up getting caught in the weekend rush at service centres. Also, it becomes difficult to manage without the vehicle, if the vehicle is given for servicing on a Saturday.

So my questions are:

1. Does any authorised service centre in Bangalore provide this kind of service ?

2. Can we request the car companies to provide such service centes ?

3. If such a night service is made available in your city, would you use it ?

Please cast your vote in the poll.

Rohan
Old 20th June 2010, 23:06   #2
BHPian

Well, Mandovi Motors on Bannerghatta Road had this night service option the last time I went there (sometime in February). I havent tried it, though!
Old 21st June 2010, 19:05   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm all for evening / night servicing. In fact, its one of those things you wonder why every service station doesn't offer already!! This makes ample sense, especially for those who have a single car for the daily drive to work.

- Minimal downtime for the car (during regular work hours). The service is being performed when she'd be parked down your house anyways

- Modern cars barely require 1 - 3 hours for scheduled maintenance. Easily managed in one evening

- Even if its a complex job (say, a clutch or suspension overhaul), one overnighter is more than sufficient

- A win-win really, if we consider the service station's POV. Business runs when it would have otherwise been inactive and within available resources. No need to expand (machinery, property size etc.), except for additional hours / personnel to work at night. The fixed cost of equipment & rent is evenly spread between the day & night shifts. Similar to how factories work on a double / triple shift, isn't it?

Offer free pickup / drop off and we have a deal. I believe some workshops already run evening services. However, the concept still isn't well marketed or widely adopted. Again, I can only wonder why...

P.S. : Edited your thread title to include all cities (not only bangalore).

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2010 at 19:07.
Old 21st June 2010, 19:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi

This is really a good idea, hope the Authorized Service centers implement this one.

i would also be willing to pay market rates (Taxi) for home drop in the evening and pick up from home in the morning if the service center is willing to provide the service.

Alternatively i also willing to pay (reasonable cost) for the home delivery of the car once the work is done.
Old 21st June 2010, 19:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Me too thinks same. I always have this excuse of not able to get the vehicle to the service center on time due to official duties. And sat & sun something comes up and we dont leave our cars, but take it for long drive. Hehehe.

So, a night service center especially on weekdays is double ok for me.
Old 21st June 2010, 19:35   #6
BHPian

I was so glad to know Mandovi motors at JP Nagar, Bangalore has night service facilities. But the catch is, you gotto leave your car before 8 PM! For people like me working in odd shifts that is the time of peak workload.

How I wish I could drop my car at 12 in the night and pick it up next day. And I don't think that is asking too much. Dealers sure make a considerable amount of money on spare parts & service and offering any-time-service is only going to benefit them.
Old 21st June 2010, 21:20   #7
BHPian

I think this is inherently a good idea but i am unexplainably uncomfortable with leaving my car with the @$$ for just an overnight job. I think its a question of trust for now which will definitely change if it becomes popular.

Then again, i am usually with my car at the @$$ in the day time too to see what is being done and figure out more about what makes my baby tick.
Old 21st June 2010, 23:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I was so glad to know Mandovi motors at JP Nagar, Bangalore has night service facilities. But the catch is, you gotto leave your car before 8 PM! For people like me working in odd shifts that is the time of peak workload.

How I wish I could drop my car at 12 in the night and pick it up next day. And I don't think that is asking too much. Dealers sure make a considerable amount of money on spare parts & service and offering any-time-service is only going to benefit them.
Yeah 12 seems nice good, however if you actually dropped your car for servicing how would you get back home ? I understand Mandovi wants to a) sent SA home in case there aren't cars for night servcie
b) Ensure everybody gets home safe after dropping Car for service.
Old 21st June 2010, 23:10   #9
BANNED

Folks, I'm living in Gurgaon and have been giving my Alto regularly to Apra for servicing during the night(since I work from 1800hrs to 0400hrs). Normally, post dinner, I reach Apra around 2230hrs, drop my car for service and pick it up on my way back home at 0400hrs morning, believe me, so far I've had a GOOD experience, there's not much rush, your car is well looked after, there are people available on the phone to listen to any additional details you want them to attend to, etc. Way to go - Night Service Centres !
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- A win-win really, if we consider the service station's POV. Business runs when it would have otherwise been inactive and within available resources. No need to expand (machinery, property size etc.), except for additional hours / personnel to work at night. The fixed cost of equipment & rent is evenly spread between the day & night shifts. Similar to how factories work on a double / triple shift, isn't it?

P.S. : Edited your thread title to include all cities (not only bangalore).
It is really a win-win situation for the customers and the agency.
The agency can virtually double their business with the same investment for equipment (of course with extra labour costs for the night shifts).

Still, I am not able to figure out what prevents the agencies from providing such a facility. Are there any legal complications (labour laws etc) involved in running night shifts ?

In big cities like Bangalore, there is always a huge rush of vehicles for servicing. Customers are always complaining that less personal attention is being given to vehicles because of the huge work load on the service personnel.

If night shifts are introduced at least in the major agencies in the big cities, the work load on the service personnel could be reduced and customer satisfaction could be improved.

If such a facility exists in one city, why should the other cities be deprived of it ?

Rohan
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Certainly I will opt for this only After making sure of some things like....
  • Some times things that are easily spotted during daytime go unnoticed during night however well lit the service centre may be.
  • Many a times the service cneter has called me midway through the service to get/give some clarifications. (like some unexpected spare replacement that would affect my bill amount considerably) But i wouldn't want anybody disturbing my sleep
  • If by chance the service takes longer than expected and it affects your next day office plans, there should be an alternate arrangement. Coz Unlike weekends I will have very less time to plan
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Yeah 12 seems nice good, however if you actually dropped your car for servicing how would you get back home ? I understand Mandovi wants to a) sent SA home in case there aren't cars for night servcie
b) Ensure everybody gets home safe after dropping Car for service.
Ensure everybody gets home safe? Why would they care about it?

With me, I work in night shifts and I can easily find someone in my team to come along and drop me back home.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Certainly I will opt for this only After making sure of some things like....
  • Some times things that are easily spotted during daytime go unnoticed during night however well lit the service centre may be.
  • Many a times the service cneter has called me midway through the service to get/give some clarifications. (like some unexpected spare replacement that would affect my bill amount considerably) But i wouldn't want anybody disturbing my sleep
  • If by chance the service takes longer than expected and it affects your next day office plans, there should be an alternate arrangement. Coz Unlike weekends I will have very less time to plan
+1 to that. I am for weekend servicing for the points put by hemant. Many times I have been called by SA for the clarifications and correct cost of service and definitly dont want to be disturbed in the middle of nights.
With my earlier Santro I used to give the car for service late evenings say 6.30 pm, ensuring they take my car first thing in the morning for service and would later pick it up by 11.30-1200 pm. However I found my service cost going up on such occassions although the bill had the details. Eventually stopped doing that and since then have been giving the car on Sat for service.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yikes! Imagine Skoda A.S.S .... at night!

No, seriously it's a great idea! For people with one car it'll really be a boon as most don't use their car at night anyways.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Yikes! Imagine Skoda A.S.S .... at night!
I don't think day or night matters for Skoda A.S.S.

I don't have any first hand experiences with Skoda A.S.S. But based on what has been posted on the forum, we can be sure that they are quite capable of daylight robbery.

With no offense meant to Indian and European brands, I feel that this concept of night service is more relevant for Japanese and Korean brands.

Rohan

Most Viewed