Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Best driver's car below 5Lakhs (ex-showroom)
Figo - TDCi 58 17.68%
Swift - 1.2K series 111 33.84%
Figo - 1.2 petrol 12 3.66%
Swift - DDiS 120 36.59%
A-star 8 2.44%
Chevy Beat (Petrol) 19 5.79%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 11:34   #106
BHPian

swift DDiS is one hell of a car to drive. Its decent on corners as well and with performance tires it will be quite a handler. The other factor which we are ignoring while arguing about swift D and palio 1.6 is the ability of a driver. A good driver will ensure that his/her car is in the optimal power band while extracting maximum juice out of the car. Its just the matter of time when one gets adjusted to the turbo lag and with timely gear changes the driver can ensure that his pace does'nt loose out on the momentum. And trust me when the swift D is in the turbo zone not even palio 1.6 will find it easy to match her pace.
After reading couple of posts regarding turbo lag and linear power delivery looks like you guys would'nt want to call vRS as driver's car as well :-)
Also i've been smoked couple of times by swift D in city and i've no shame in accepting that. And most of the time it was because swift's turbo zone is quite quick.
So when we are talking about driver's car we should not forget about driver's ability as well. Palio 1.6 is one of the best driver's car around under 5 lacs but so is swift D. Just my 2 cents.
Old 24th June 2010, 11:52   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Think of it, when you are discussing about factors like handling, torque etc about your enthu car with your friend, you would expect him to go pepped up and say wow.. and Oh is it... etc..
Quote:
I am sure, it will be fun, but dont think you will be enthusiastic about it, cos you know what to expect out of the movie. I guess its something in this line.
xingamazon: Well, Swift is a common car, and you have a valid point! There is no exclusivity unless you mod it a bit!

However, this thread is about the best drivers car! None of these make a difference there!

Would the 3 series CE be any less of a drivers car than highline version because it doesnt have sunroof, i-drive, xenons to boast?
Old 24th June 2010, 12:00   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to say you also got my point wrongly, I am not saying swift is not FTD. I totally am impressed about the car and have a dogmatic followship of it as well.

But my point is not that.

Let me try to put it in the other way, just assume we were in the 70's all people atleast 90% of the cars were ambassadors, in that case imagine how discussion would have been between car enthisiasts.
They would be discussing things like I did like this with my car, I did this thing with my car. The discussion would not be about the car itself.
Not that I want to equate Swift with Ambassador.

Anyway, as I mentioend before, its just my view point, I would not expect anyone to agree with it.

Edit: one more small point, you watch movie 3 Idots once again(if you had watched it before)
I am sure, it will be fun, but dont think you will be enthusiastic about it, cos you know what to expect out of the movie. I guess its something in this line.
I dont buy a car to talk about it to a fellow enthusiast. I buy a car that can keep the enthusiast in me alive and kicking. A 1.3 DDIS, 1.6 GTX does this to me more than an 1.1 Vxi or the MH-400.

It is not about i agreeing or disagreeing with you. Just that the point you mentioned, 'may not' be the exact reason to decide if a car is an enthusiat's car or not. Yup, the above, IMHO
Old 24th June 2010, 12:47   #109
BHPian

Figo Diesel

In my opinion Figo diesel is a better car than swift. Swift may be peppier, but the ride, suspension and handling of Figo is far better. Also, the drivers seating position gives you a clear feel of great drive. So, for me its figo.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:25   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
And trust me when the swift D is in the turbo zone not even palio 1.6 will find it easy to match her pace.
I am confused now,
agree torque plays its part, but 100 thoroughbred Italian horses are no match?

^^taking into a/c speeds between 80-150kmph
Old 24th June 2010, 14:33   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
And trust me when the swift D is in the turbo zone not even palio 1.6 will find it easy to match her pace.
Though I do agree that the Swift is a very fun to drive car, I think you are going overboard here. A Palio 1.6 (GTX / S10) variant will smoke the Swift, DDiS or no DDiS. In ideal 'driver' conditions.

In city conditions, even a bicycle can leave behind anything else.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:55   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Though I do agree that the Swift is a very fun to drive car, I think you are going overboard here. A Palio 1.6 (GTX / S10) variant will smoke the Swift, DDiS or no DDiS. In ideal 'driver' conditions.

Yes, the discussion is going overboard and it began to sound like Swift is the one and only. Swift is fun to drive, and may be the only drivers' car currently available. But it is not the ultimate in the category.

There was a poll comparing these two on the FTD factor. Palio 1.6 leads that poll by a good margin. Why to discuss again?

Quote:
...and that so called turbo zone is so short lived (1900 to 3000 rpm roughly) in the rev range whereas a 1.6 will start showing the beast inside once it crosses 3.5K rpm. One driving DDIs will have to sweat his way through the gears to try to cope up with.

Last edited by clevermax : 24th June 2010 at 15:03.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:04   #113
BHPian

If ford launches Figo 1.6 at < 5 lacs, then I think this debate would be settled fair and square. I test drove my colleague's Ritz petrol and was a bit disappointed. I have been reading lot of positive things said about the 1.2 petrol motor and naturally my expectation was high. What I found was while the car was very smooth, it was not responsive to throttle inputs. The power delivery was very linear and the car took its own time to build up the speeed. I did not find it peppy or rev happy. Not sure if it is because it is a new car.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:39   #114
BHPian

I dint say palio 1.6 cannot match swift's pace or smoke it, i said it will not be EASY for palio when swift is in its power zone. What my point really was that its the driver which defines the car and a good driver's car will always compliment the driving ability of the driver. So a better driver driving a swift D will be able to overcome an average driver driving a palio 1.6 through the sheer torque advantage of the swift D. Likewise a better palio 1.6 driver will be able to smoke a swift D almost always!. But in real driving conditions it would be really difficult to differentiate between the two. Its only when you compare two cars that you can know the respective ability of a particular car and i do not think swift looses something substantial when being compared to palio 1.6. In terms of the driving pleasure if palio 1.6 has the lovely linear power delivery then the swift has the turbo kick and torque wave which gives the adrenaline rush. Nonetheless both are one of the best driver's car around in hatches and there's no denying that fact.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:12   #115
BHPian

I voted for Swift petrol, but I am wondering why isnt the Palio 1.6s included in this list. That model is still available in those cities where BSIV has not been implemented right??
Old 24th June 2010, 17:00   #116
BHPian

Not only that Swift is a FTD car, its probably most affordable FTD car too.
Nothing beats the combination of FTD + Reliable + Peace of mind + affordable + Highly mod friendly. All these comes with best in class engines and fuel efficiency. its like have your cake and eat it too.
Ofcourse, you have to live with the minor rattles though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post

Hey TypeOne, on race track preferably with lot of twist and turn, it will very tough fight between the two. But on such a track I will put my money on safer side...namely Swift 1.3.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th June 2010 at 18:36. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:37   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Ain't this unfair? For one you have chosen to believe a third-party website against the official FIAT website, to conclude that it has been discontinued. Then you try to cover it up by saying that a few of them have delivery issues. Palio 1.6 has sure gone from the BSIV cities, but it is still on sale elsewhere.
An unfair poll is as good as a rigged one.
Auto makers are very lazy in updating their websites.
Even Ford hasn't corrected the wrong info about Figo EXi in their website for around 3 months.
If you want to know the real picture call up their dealers.
I asked and the answer i got was not only palio 1.6 even 1.1 production hasn't happened in 2010. Maybe it sign of something new like UNO being launched soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1310 View Post
In my opinion Figo diesel is a better car than swift. Also, the drivers seating position gives you a clear feel of great drive. So, for me its figo.
that maybe due to the higher seat position in Figo compared to the Fiesta. But a lot of people who love cruising in highways prefer the lower position with a cockpit kind of feel. Though the higher position helps a lot in driving through crowded streets or while offroading (pot holed roads).

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
I have been reading lot of positive things said about the 1.2 petrol motor and naturally my expectation was high. What I found was while the car was very smooth, it was not responsive to throttle inputs. The power delivery was very linear and the car took its own time to build up the speeed. I did not find it peppy or rev happy. Not sure if it is because it is a new car.
Isn't that the advantage of petrol engines. Diesels have a high low end torque and hence the initial rush but usually die after 3500rpm, whereas petrols go as high as 6500 with their peak performance coming in after 3500 rpm.

Last edited by Daewood : 24th June 2010 at 17:46.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:00   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon
I for sure to be calling a car an enthusiast car I would be choosing one which is not a common place.
Explains your vote for the A-star. But you are confusing a rarely-seen-on-the-roads car with a driver's car. The former just gives you uniqueness on the roads, which is not the same thing as being a driver's car.

BTW, the old Zen sold well enough to not be eligible to be called a rare car.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:03   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am confused now,
agree torque plays its part, but 100 thoroughbred Italian horses are no match?
(Swift D vs Palio 1.6)
Even the Swift D comes with Italian horses.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:19   #120
Senior - BHPian

Sir, not that I would want to argue. But let me put my viewpoint again.
Quote:
Swift though a well built one, lacks this factor, which I feel is very critical. I mean when you talk about its handling, I am sure your friends will tell, ya my bro has it, my dad has it, my uncle has it.. even my grandpa loves driving it....
As I said before, thats just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Explains your vote for the A-star. But you are confusing a rarely-seen-on-the-roads car with a driver's car. The former just gives you uniqueness on the roads, which is not the same thing as being a driver's car.
Likewise you are confusing Fun with enthusiasm. There might be some cars which are Fun to drive (which is of course what the thread heading says)
But I mentioned a point about Enthusiasts car, which I feel is different from Fun oriented car.
Anyway enough of my counters, let me shut my enthusiast theory and go by the thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks