Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Best driver's car below 5Lakhs (ex-showroom)
Figo - TDCi 58 17.68%
Swift - 1.2K series 111 33.84%
Figo - 1.2 petrol 12 3.66%
Swift - DDiS 120 36.59%
A-star 8 2.44%
Chevy Beat (Petrol) 19 5.79%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 23:10   #121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Even the Swift D comes with Italian horses.
Oops!! O yes, forgot the Royal Fiat Connection,
i am sure Fiat would be hating this engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22
So a better driver driving a swift D will be able to overcome an average driver driving a palio 1.6 through the sheer torque advantage of the swift D.
A good driver needs torque or he can play with the 'box to bring out the horses into play.
Old 24th June 2010, 23:26   #122
BHPian

Swift petrol all the way..Most fun to drive
Old 24th June 2010, 23:30   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
why isnt the Palio 1.6s included in this list. That model is still available in those cities where BSIV has not been implemented right??
No. Only stock clearance may be there (If at all, anything is stuck with the dealers!)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-palio-9.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th June 2010 at 23:33.
Old 25th June 2010, 00:39   #124
Senior - BHPian

Swift Diesel all the way. After driving one for almost 25 thousand kilometers I still love the turbo kick like I loved it on day one.

After driving the Swift Diesel with that kick in the back turbo kick and the torque, petrol cars just don't seem exciting anymore.

Also the stuck to the ground like a vaccume cleaner handling, nothing matches the need for speed + handling + economy at the same time.

Swift D for me all the way.

Till death do us apart \m/
Old 25th June 2010, 01:40   #125
Senior - BHPian

Be it Diesel or Petrol, Swift is the handling KING. Ok , it may not have the all involving Hydraulic steering of the Figo, but it's still so much fun to drive a Swift!
Old 25th June 2010, 10:19   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Be it Diesel or Petrol, Swift is the handling KING.
is the Swifts handling prowess a result of its suspension alone or the shape of the car (stealth bomber like with no sharp edges) also plays a role?
Old 25th June 2010, 12:38   #127
BHPian

Nice to see some people recognize A-star's capabilities as a driver's car. My relatives tell me i'm stupid to buy such an expensive two seater car. Although my younger brother loves to rip it like me.
Old 25th June 2010, 19:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Hey TypeOne, on race track preferably with lot of twist and turn, it will very tough fight between the two. But on such a track I will put my money on safer side...namely Swift 1.3.
Ahhh ... but I think differently. And, what about the straights?
Old 26th June 2010, 05:07   #129
BHPian

Figo TDCi rocks my world.

I have driven only the Figo TDCi in the contender's list. I now own a Figo TDCi. I have owned it for 3 days only!

My knowledge is limited about various factor's which make a driver's car, but here is my feedback on the Figo TDCi:

I am happy with the car in city driving. The turbo kicks in at 2k rpm. I have not revved it above 2.5k due to run-in.

I'll be driving 200 kms for the first time today. I hope to get a good response on the highway. I will keep the revs below 2.5k due to run-in. The car reaches speeds in 3 digits in 2.5k rpm range.

As of now Figo TDCi is the best driver's car under Rs. 5 lac for me. Reasons being linear power, negligible turbo-lag, great handling and steering feedback.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:25   #130
BHPian

My vote goes to the Suzuki Swift Petrol, the engine is very responsive, it does not mind being revved. The wheelbase of the car is wide and not too long and the height of the car is not to much either, so while attacking some twisty roads, the car feels quite planted.

Also, of all the above mentioned cars, the Ritz, Figo, A-star etc, the swift is one car which has the most number of after market accessories, be it the head light and tail light assembly, body kits or performance engine components. So if one does decide to go for a swift, then there is ample and tried and tested opportunities to make the swift handle, ride, perform and look even better.

So in my humble opinion the title has to go to the swift :-).
Old 26th June 2010, 16:11   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10
Between the 1.3 DDIS and 1.3 G13BB i ll give it to the DDIS.
In my recent Highway trip, there was a Copper DDIS follwing us. After each toll, i take off like a rocket, only to find the DDIS blazing past after i cross the 3-figure mark!!.
I can see your point. I would be doing 100+ on the Kerala NH in our Swift-G and see Swift-D's blazing past as if it were a walk in the park. A nice example of bhp figures not meaning much in isolation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
isn't linear power delivery one of the hallmarks of a better 'driver's car'. If so then it has to be the petrol swift right?
Agreed. But isn't hi-speed performance also a characteristic to be taken into consideration? Do we have performance figures for the Swift P & D to see where each score/fail ?
Old 26th June 2010, 16:56   #132
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to the Swift (Petrol) since 70% of my driving would be in the city although for the highways, I would go for the Swift (Diesel)
Old 26th June 2010, 17:52   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I can see your point. I would be doing 100+ on the Kerala NH in our Swift-G and see Swift-D's blazing past as if it were a walk in the park. A nice example of bhp figures not meaning much in isolation.

Agreed. But isn't hi-speed performance also a characteristic to be taken into consideration? Do we have performance figures for the Swift P & D to see where each score/fail ?
There was a comparo done by BSM between the old 1.3 petrol and DDiS and the winner was the petrol. Though both cars had the ability to do 160kph, the petrol reached there first.

Would things have changed much with K-series taking on the mantle?
Old 27th June 2010, 00:23   #134
Senior - BHPian

Diesel isnt an option when I consider a driver's car. (my personal view)

Performance - Swift 1.3 > Swift 1.2 > I10 Kappa > Astar > I10 IRDE > Beat > Polo > Figo 1.2 > Punto 1.2
Handling - Punto > Figo > Swift > Polo > Astar > Beat > I10 Kappa

So my choice is
1) Swift 1.2 (since 1.3 isnt available)
2) Polo 1.2
3) Figo 1.2
4) Punto 1.2 (1.4 would have taken 2nd place if it would come within 5 L)
5) Astar

Beat and I10 are noway drivers car. 1st comes handling then power. And these two cars are not meant for enthusiasts.
Old 27th June 2010, 09:12   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Diesel isnt an option when I consider a driver's car. (my personal view)
You are so true over here,
For an enthusiast the engine's characteristic should be such that the engine should deliver its max power high up in the rev-range, i don't give a damn about horrific low end(below2.5K), terrible bottom end(2.5-5K), but all i care is for power over the 5000rpm mark, how the engine revs all the way to the red-line, doesn't struggle and should be on castrol not cholesterol which in no ways can a diesel engine belt out.

The insides to which have been very well penned by Mr. Shapur Kotwal asst ed- ACI(and it is his column so he needn't be diplomatic or biased over there).

^^An enthusiast car will always be unpractical so before guys cry hoarsely, they need to check the parameters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks