Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 22:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

6 seater sedans

Was going through this link today :

List of 6-passenger sedans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. Will such cars have a market in India ? I do not see many of these sedans as of now, except the Ambassador (does this qualify to be a sedan ?) Maybe these cars can give the MUV segment some competition, on account of a nice combination of better ride quality / people moving ability / big luggage boot (sorely lacking in the present MUVs) ?

2. Which sedans currently in India are best suited to offer 6 seaters (3 + 3) as an option ?

Requesting feedback on this, from sedan gurus and other BHPians
Old 19th June 2010, 22:34   #2
BANNED

Hi

In india the 6 seaters was Amby and currently nothing at all...there is not a company ready to make such spacious cars in India (sadly)

The SUVs sold here itself is very cramped compared to the ones sold in other countries.

The MNC auto majors are fooling us !
Old 20th June 2010, 06:54   #3
BHPian

^^ I do agree that MNC auto majors are fooling interms of its size when it comes to a launch in India :(
I was also thinking and looking a lot for 6 seater sedan when I got my first sedan in 2004. Finally, ended up in a 7 seater station-wagon, Indigo Marina

Btw, Josh, we can also take Premiere Padmini & Fiat in 6 seater sedan though cramped as compared to Amby.

Prem.
Old 20th June 2010, 19:28   #4
BANNED

Most of the cars listed in the wiki don't come with a front bench seat and a column mounted steering wheel anymore, effectively making them a standard 5 seating full size car. I don't know if any car manufacturer really adapts that design these days. The only real 6 seaters would be the stretch limos - actually that's what i thought this thread was about before reading its contents.
Old 20th June 2010, 19:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
^^ I do agree that MNC auto majors are fooling interms of its size when it comes to a launch in India :(
I was also thinking and looking a lot for 6 seater sedan when I got my first sedan in 2004. Finally, ended up in a 7 seater station-wagon, Indigo Marina

Btw, Josh, we can also take Premiere Padmini & Fiat in 6 seater sedan though cramped as compared to Amby.

Prem.
7 seater Indigo Marina? I thought they came only in five seater versions! Please confirm.
Old 20th June 2010, 20:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
7 seater Indigo Marina? I thought they came only in five seater versions! Please confirm.
Just kidding - With the space that is offered in Marina, you can put a small side-stools or even 1 or 2 small bean bags to seat 2 kids.

If not, simple, 2 adults can sit comfortably on the floor (yes, inside the boot) with a side-pillow support. Only thing - should be careful in bumps or pot-holes to make sure you dont hit the bumper or under-chassis body.

Prem.
Old 20th June 2010, 20:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oddly I don't see the FIAT MULTIPLA in the list. Even though it looks horrendous, in terms of practicality, I think it is one of the best cars for people looking fr large amount of space
Old 20th June 2010, 20:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Most of the cars listed in the wiki don't come with a front bench seat and a column mounted steering wheel anymore, effectively making them a standard 5 seating full size car. I don't know if any car manufacturer really adapts that design these days. The only real 6 seaters would be the stretch limos - actually that's what i thought this thread was about before reading its contents.
I believe the Chevy Impala still comes with a 6 seat option. Its there as a point on the website.
Old 20th June 2010, 22:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Oddly I don't see the FIAT MULTIPLA in the list. Even though it looks horrendous, in terms of practicality, I think it is one of the best cars for people looking fr large amount of space
yep it is, but as you can see the discussion is about 6 seater sedan and Multipla is a MPV...
Old 21st June 2010, 07:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

I was hoping that a wide bodied car like the Tata Indigo / Manza would offer the front bench seat as an option (to seat 2+1 in the front), the same way as is being offered in some versions of MUVs like Tavera and Sumo.

IMO, while 6 seater sedans may not have sold much in the other countries, maybe in India the market will respond positively, considering the larger family sizes here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks