Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 23:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If so, that would be nice. I am all for more efficient smaller capacity engines.
Even if Cervo comes to India, it wont necessarily be with the 660 engine which is unique to Japan. Even the M800 used to be an M660 for JDM.
Old 15th September 2010, 23:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Says who? Small cars contribute 90% of Maruti's bottom line. Small cars make over 70% of the Indian car market. Small cars is where Maruti has built a formidable reputation after 26 years of hard work; that of being VFM, cheap to own and very fuel-efficient.

Who is trying to shake off the small car image in Maruti? IMHO, he should be fired. ASAP!
I just wanted to say that making a car to compete with the Nano will prove detrimental to Suzuki's brand image. Being a small car maker is different from being a "cheap" small car maker. The Grand Vitara was never a hit for the exact reason that Suzuki was seen as a cheap car maker by the general public.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

It's just a matter of time before the Cervo is here. Like I mentiond earlier, MSIL is in a catch 22 situation. The F8D motor is becoming a double edged sword for them. If they bring the Cervo with a 660 cc motor, it would be impossible for them to price it below the M 800 which has a higher capacity motor.

When the M 800 is phased out, if they do away with the Alto 800 cc, they will have no problems in bringing in the Cervo and will have much more leeway in pricing the same somewhere above the current 800 and close to the Alto 800 cc . My guess is it will be powered by a 2 cylinder 665 cc K series engine with a power output in the range of 50 bhp.
Old 16th September 2010, 13:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair
The Grand Vitara was never a hit for the exact reason that Suzuki was seen as a cheap car maker by the general public.
There were other more valid reasons for GV not selling than the image. The GV along with Baleno are usually cited as examples of how MSIL's image does not help it in higher segments. But there are other things involved like price, value vis-a-vis the competition etc which play a big role on sales. While having formidable competitors like OHC, Lancer weakened the Baleno's case, wrong pricing helped kill sales. Finally it sold only after massive discounts.

Take the CRV, which is from Honda which has a good image in India. It was doing great numbers till some time ago, inspite of being costly and petrol. Check out the latest numbers for the CRV and you see just a few units being sold. Reasons : Apart from being priced way too high, there were new entrants in the market like Fortuner etc which people found value in.

So, basically there is only so much that image can do or impede - the product comes first + the other 3 Ps play a role too. If the Kizashi is good (initial reports say yes) and is priced well, I see no reason for it to not sell, inspite of the small-car image of MSIL.
Old 16th September 2010, 13:53   #50
BHPian

It looks like a cross between the Beat and the Ritz. An offspring perhaps??
Old 25th September 2010, 19:07   #51
BHPian

Nano sales in 5 figures/month, and no sales downfall for maruti means that Maruti missed a full segment of buyers.
And now to make matters worse for maruti, it wont be able to price Cervo below Alto, unless its ready to cannibalise its Largest selling Model. A more pragmatic way would be to Plonk a 700 cc engine in Alto and price it in 1.5-2.0 lac range and Cervo with a K-series priced in 2.8-3.5 lac range. Its must be a Billion Dollor decision for maruti to make. (Ek Taraf Khai... Doosri Taraf Kua!!)
Old 6th October 2010, 02:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

I think , stripping down the Cervo , to bring it down to the 1.5 L price point , will be a huge task . I suspect , the speculated , Made in India / Made by Maruti , will be the car slotted in the price range of 1.5 - 2 L. It was rumored to be ready by 2012 , so I guess this will be the car.
Old 8th October 2010, 00:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
I think , stripping down the Cervo , to bring it down to the 1.5 L price point , will be a huge task . I suspect , the speculated , Made in India / Made by Maruti , will be the car slotted in the price range of 1.5 - 2 L. It was rumored to be ready by 2012 , so I guess this will be the car.
Look the link below according to Cardekho it is schedule to get lunch in November 2010 Maruti Cervo in India - Maruti Cervo Price, Maruti Cervo Reviews | CarDekho.com
Old 8th October 2010, 12:51   #54
BHPian

I happen to speak to an Maruti engineer from Gurgaon. According to him Cervo is infact in Maruti's pipeline. When I asked him about Nov launch, he explicitly din't say yes, but he was not ready to reveal more info.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

I am in planning mode of buying a new small car, and currently waitng for new offers. Should I be waiting for Cervo or can I continue my search irrespective of it?
Old 1st November 2010, 15:17   #56
BHPian

This car is very exciting, to say the least
If its launched at a good pricepoint and looks the way, it does on the pictures posted, then its a sure winner for Indian market

It looks way better than worst looking auto'ish nano
Old 1st November 2010, 16:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am in planning mode of buying a new small car, and currently waitng for new offers. Should I be waiting for Cervo or can I continue my search irrespective of it?
IMHO, its best to continue search. Cervo will be coming is a news of past. In the past Maurti had denied any thoughts/plans of launching Cervo. Also now the increasing cost of Nano means that the gap between Alto and Nano is reducing.

There is already a big overlap in the small car range of Maruti. Coming up with Cervo at a price tag lower than rs. 2 lakh is not only a challenge, the overlap will also increases.

Maruti is also not declaring anything concrete. So its better to continue the search. On another note, new models come and old models go, dont wait too much for a perfect car. Best is to buy the car that suits you the most out of the current available cars in the market and start enjoying the car.
Old 8th November 2010, 17:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Cervo launch in coming december

The evening daily here reported that the MSIL confirmed the launch of cervo in this coming december , he car is powered by a 0.7L 660cc petrol engine that is capable of generating 60 bhp and top torque of 64Nm. The other features that aim to make this small car a big wonder is its 4-speed automatic transmission and advanced variable timing technology to give you that overall engine efficiency. The car has a top speed of 115 km/h.

Maruti Suzuki Cervo ranks equally high when it comes to its exterior and interior features. The vehicle comes with eye-shaped headlight cluster, honeycomb radiator grille and chrome finished strip. It has handles and bar with body colored front and rear bumper and arching roofline. The interior of the car offers ample legroom and comes with 3-spoked power steering. This 5-seater small wonder has a dashboard with AC vents and amazing luggage space. The safety features of the car include front disc brakes, rear drum brakes and child lock. It remains to be seen whether Maruti Cervo will be able to impress its Indian audience in the small car segment given the fact that Tata Nano has taken the Indian car customers by storm. But we still believe that Maruti definite has an edge over Tata Nano which now is no more a ‘one lac rupee car’, given another price revision by Tata Motors that makes it dearer by Rs. 9,000. Moreover Maruti is the household name in small car segment that it has earned after decades of hard work and customer car service in India not to forget the amazing build quality to woo its small car fans.
Old 8th November 2010, 18:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

Would love to see something like this in a AT. Hope we get to hear something sweet at the earliest.
Old 8th November 2010, 18:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

what we will be able to do is - "wait for the heat of Cervo"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks