Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 19:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The evening daily here reported that the MSIL confirmed the launch of cervo in this coming december , he car is powered by a 0.7L 660cc petrol engine that is capable of generating 60 bhp and top torque of 64Nm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Would love to see something like this in a AT. Hope we get to hear something sweet at the earliest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
what we will be able to do is - "wait for the heat of Cervo"
I think you are talking about this article :

Source : Maruti Cervo launches in December, expected price Rs. 1.5-2.0 lac|Newz24x7

Article :

Quote:
Come December and India gets a huge offering of latest cars in various segments and Maruti Suzuki Cervo is one of them which is eagerly awaited among the Maruti fans in the country. The automobile manufacturer that created waves in the country’s small car segment with the launch its poplar small car the Maruti 800cc, now aims to get back the entry level supremacy with the Cervo launch, its next small car in India. The Cervo is expected to come with a price tag between Rs. 1.5 lac and Rs. 2 lac.

Maruti enjoys the goodwill as India’s most favorite small car maker and with Cervo the company is hopeful to make it big one more time. The car is expected to do well given Maruti’s strong experience that it enjoys for decades and ofcourse a good customer support. The car is powered by a 0.7L 660cc petrol engine that is capable of generating 60 bhp and top torque of 64Nm. The other features that aim to make this small car a big wonder is its 4-speed automatic transmission and advanced variable timing technology to give you that overall engine efficiency. The car has a top speed of 115 km/h.

Maruti Suzuki Cervo ranks equally high when it comes to its exterior and interior features. The vehicle comes with eye-shaped headlight cluster, honeycomb radiator grille and chrome finished strip. It has handles and bar with body colored front and rear bumper and arching roofline. The interior of the car offers ample legroom and comes with 3-spoked power steering. This 5-seater small wonder has a dashboard with AC vents and amazing luggage space. The safety features of the car include front disc brakes, rear drum brakes and child lock.

It remains to be seen whether Maruti Cervo will be able to impress its Indian audience in the small car segment given the fact that Tata Nano has taken the Indian car customers by storm. But we still believe that Maruti definite has an edge over Tata Nano which now is no more a ‘one lac rupee car’, given another price revision by Tata Motors that makes it dearer by Rs. 9,000. Moreover Maruti is the household name in small car segment that it has earned after decades of hard work and customer car service in India not to forget the amazing build quality to woo its small car fans.
1) 60 bhp from 660cc = 90.909 ~ 90.1 bhp/ltr. Higher than even the G3HC ( i.e. ANHC ). ANHC can gather upto 80 bhp.ltr approx. 90 bhp/ltr. is hard to believe. If Maruti has managed that, then it would be very nice.

2) 6.53 kgm of torque is also an amazing figure.

3) The real problem this car can give rise to is massive overlap between Alto F8D and this Cervo. F8D manages to hit a higher top speed, but has got less power and torque. I hope Maruti manages to avoid the overlap. If the quoted price is true, then Nano is sure to get hit by Cervo.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:35   #62
BHPian

If the specs are true then we might get a car which will not take on the Nano. It will be a 'entry level premium car' i guess.
Maybe the upcoming Nano Europa will be a match for Cervo.
Guess Maruti is confident it will be a success, because of the tremendous response k10 Alto is getting.

Quote:
The Cervo is expected to come with a price tag between Rs. 1.5 lac and Rs. 2 lac....
Quote:
The other features that aim to make this small car a big wonder is its 4-speed automatic transmission and advanced variable timing technology to give you that overall engine efficiency. The car has a top speed of 115 km/h.
If indeed Maruti can give an Autobox at around 2.5L, that would revolutionize city commuting.

Last edited by Daewood : 9th November 2010 at 10:41.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

I have one question , Why everyone thinks that Cervo can not be priced between 1.5 ~ 2 Lakhs , For obvious reasons they are going to strip fancy features offered in Japanese market ( going by history of MSIL models in India) for a barebone car if it should be very much possible if they keep the profits ( and royalty payment) reasonable.

When M800 was launched probably Suzuki thought 660CC engine will not work in India but today when Nano is doing rasonably good they have no reason to rethink that kei engine will do fine here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
I just wanted to say that making a car to compete with the Nano will prove detrimental to Suzuki's brand image. Being a small car maker is different from being a "cheap" small car maker. The Grand Vitara was never a hit for the exact reason that Suzuki was seen as a cheap car maker by the general public.
well lets rewind back a little bit before nano era , Maruti was exactly that .. that is a cheap small car maker. The only thing that nano changed was definition of Cheap. Before nano cheap meant 2.16 Lakhs ex-showroom and now after nano it means 1.1 lakh ( ex-factory after price revision) and 1.3 Lakhs ex-showroom.

Grand Vitara flopped due to insane pricing and because Maruti perhaps was never interested in selling it. It is lot easier to sell and service cars with similar configurations which they do now. There is no great learning curve for mechanics to service smaller Maruti models but GV was an odd one out and does not fit in the overall strategy.

Last edited by amitk26 : 9th November 2010 at 11:06.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:07   #64
Senior - BHPian

@amitk26, They can strip all they want. If its going to have that engine and an AT, its going to sell well. It looks good compared to a Alto and would be a perfect City car.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:27   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@amitk26, They can strip all they want. If its going to have that engine and an AT, its going to sell well. It looks good compared to a Alto and would be a perfect City car.
Well my question was not about the saleability of the car , Maruti Brand equity and image is such that any thing from Maruti will sell.

I was just wondering why almost everyone on this thread thinks it is impossible to price barebone Cervo between 1.5 ~ 2 Lakhs ( Ex-factory)
I think Maruti can very well price it right if they really want it. The dies are old and have recovered the cost , Component and labour cost is lower in India then in Japan and small cars get tax break so there is no reason it can not be done.
Weather they will do it or not is the question. How much they will milk customers depends on if Nano production numbers improves afer the supply chain issues are fixed and market response is known.
Old 9th November 2010, 14:33   #66
BHPian

VVT and Auto tranny in a sub-2L car.
I wonder how they are planning to keep the costs down?

Maruti has never done either in the hatchback segment (successfully).
Old 9th November 2010, 14:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

I googled a bit for Cervo, and found some news stating that India Cervo will be placed above A star, and will have 1L engine:

2010 Suzuki Cervo specification | mintori.com

Maruti Suzuki Cervo Car Launch late 2010 in India: New Cervo Small Car | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

I tend to believe that as alto 800 and alto k10 to some extent are already catering to below 1L segment, doubt that MSIL will bring Cervo in 0.7L to cannibalize sales of its own products. 1L engine seems more probable.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:06   #68
BHPian

Guys,
I had met my Maruti Sales assistant to discuss details about my wagon-r booking. And when i asked him about the cervo, he said maruti was planning for a December launch but that it has been postponed to March or something. He also mentioned that it would be priced somewhere between 1.75 and 2 lac rupees! Also, according to him, the Kizashi is going to be priced somewhere around 17 to 18 lac and is going to be launched within a few months! Do not know to what extent this true!
Old 30th November 2010, 19:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Guys, And when i asked him about the cervo, he said maruti was planning for a December launch but that it has been postponed to March or something. He also mentioned that it would be priced somewhere between 1.75 and 2 lac rupees!
If that price is true then it will replace M800. I would love to see that.

Quote:
Also, according to him, the Kizashi is going to be priced somewhere around 17 to 18 lac and is going to be launched within a few months! Do not know to what extent this true!
17 to 18 lac . That can't be true! I though they are going to ask 10 - 14 lac for it!!
Old 1st December 2010, 19:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Kizashi if priced at 17-18L would most probably go the Grand Vitara way, which would be bad because it is supposedly a great car.
And Cervo at 1.75-2L sounds too good to be true. Dont mind MSIL proving me wrong.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:31   #71

Whats new suzuki india startegy on Cervo....

With the maruti 800 to be phased out of 13 major cities with BS - 4 starting April 2011..Cervo may be launched....Also with the launch of Alto K -10 and Alto 800 existing could maruti be planning to phase out alto 800 as well and replace both maruti 800 and alto 800 with Cervo???

But a price tag of 1.5 to 2.0 lacs is doubtful...given that it sells for $12K -$14K in Japan..or may be maruti can strip it down for the indian market?????
Old 12th December 2010, 19:55   #72
BHPian

Re: Whats new suzuki india startegy on Cervo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrtonSenna View Post
With the maruti 800 to be phased out of 13 major cities with BS - 4 starting April 2011..Cervo may be launched....Also with the launch of Alto K -10 and Alto 800 existing could maruti be planning to phase out alto 800 as well and replace both maruti 800 and alto 800 with Cervo???

But a price tag of 1.5 to 2.0 lacs is doubtful...given that it sells for $12K -$14K in Japan..or may be maruti can strip it down for the indian market?????
They could go the Eeco way. Strip the Cervo to the bare bone and remove all the frills and fancies in the base model. Deprive the Cervo of power steering/AC, various electrical and safety fitments and gadgets and you could well have a base Cervo for about Rs 2L (ex-showroom). Even if the top-end model Cervo is priced at about Rs 2.5-2.75 L (ex-showroom) it would fit in below the Alto K10 line-up. even if these two cars do land up in the same price range, like the Estilo and Wagon R, Maruti would not mind.
Old 12th December 2010, 20:20   #73
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Cervo - Yet another small car to India !!

To me, it looks like one of the best looking suzuki's. If launched, I guess it would cannibalise alto, a-star, estilo and wagon R sales. I really doubt if this would be launched in the 1.5 - 2 lakh price range given that Nano experience has demonstrated that indian customers are not necessarily after cheap cars!
Old 13th December 2010, 07:08   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

cervo might become the new entry level car for Maruti with (true to form) several variants being launched to cover differing price points.
Maruti has already proven their ability to seamlessly straddle the various segments of the bottom and mid end of the market by stunning the consumer with scads of choice - they really seem to have something for everyone - just look at their product line-up!
Kizashi at 17-18 will be a waste of time - that car should ideally be sitting just above the SX4 at a max of 12-13 lacs and should be pitted against the Chevy Cruze/ Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla in their segment.
Kizashi has the capacity to become a category killer if this pricing strategy is adhered to - on the sheer weight of Maruti's reach and after sales service alone.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:26   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Exclusive : Maruti Suzuki Cervo gets Indian launch in July 2011 | Auto News | IndiaOnCars

Seen this link, is there any clue to this launch?

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks