Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 07:31   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gen2 Suzuki Swift, EDIT:Caught testing in India, Pics on Pg.15

My Brother's friend picked up a VDi the other day. I've been telling whomever I see that the new SWIFT is round the corner but some people don't have the patience.

I can see the writing on the wall. You go buy a car and then realise in 3 months that it is out-dated, then you lose interest in it and start cursing the company, then sell it off and invite a bad experience on yourself when the thing you have to blame is your own ignorance
Old 26th January 2011, 14:08   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
My Brother's friend picked up a VDi the other day. I've been telling whomever I see that the new SWIFT is round the corner but some people don't have the patience.

I can see the writing on the wall. You go buy a car and then realise in 3 months that it is out-dated, then you lose interest in it and start cursing the company, then sell it off and invite a bad experience on yourself when the thing you have to blame is your own ignorance
Oh, I don't know. If I were buying a Swift now, I would go and grab the current Swift as soon as I can. Because one thing, the new one doesn't look as good as the current one (IMHO), and also newer doesn't always mean better.

Example: Old Zen better than new Zen, Old WagonR better than new WagonR (IMHO - 4 cylinders), older 800 better than newer one (5-speed gearbox), old Ikon (1.6 engine) better than later one, old i10 (better looks)...
Old 26th January 2011, 16:09   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Oh, I don't know. If I were buying a Swift now, I would go and grab the current Swift as soon as I can. Because one thing, the new one doesn't look as good as the current one (IMHO), and also newer doesn't always mean better.

Example: Old Zen better than new Zen, Old WagonR better than new WagonR (IMHO - 4 cylinders), older 800 better than newer one (5-speed gearbox), old Ikon (1.6 engine) better than later one, old i10 (better looks)...
Since the new swift is almost the same as the old swift on the cosmetic front, it boils down to personal choices as you mentioned. Please also note that its mentioned the new swift is going to have better interiors than old one, slightly more rear space, refinements for both engines and also going to have marginally better handling due to extended wheel base which makes a better case to wait for the new one.

Offtopic: New Wagon R has K-Series engine and I consider it to be much better from the engine perspective. Also it has better handling compared to the old one. M-800 with 5 speed was a limited period offering and agree with you on i10 ! But I have heard that old 1.6 from Ikon was a nightmare, dont know how far its true. I know a friend of mine who had hell a lot of trouble with his 1.6 though.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th January 2011 at 16:12.
Old 26th January 2011, 16:13   #304
BHPian

I echo your opinion Raju.
Externally i also feel the current swift looks better.
But interior wise new one is better and it will be having more equipments than the current one.
Old 26th January 2011, 17:12   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I would not be surprised even if they drop most of the EU specs / features. Thats the way usually the manufacturers treat Indian customers. But I guess there is a strong wind of change blowing over Indian market which is a very good sign. Let one or two manufacturer bring some real good VFM cars with killer pricing like Etios, rest will be forced to bring down the premium they charge for no reason and offer us good spec + quality vehicles.

Cmon maruti, drive the change - give us a loaded car with a killer pricing! And for GOD sake, please give us a ZDi too this time.
Etios dropped even power steering in lower variants, and it is missing many features present in competition. A solid car neverthless! Just the wrong example to support your statement, IMO.

Maruti can learn a thing or two from Hyundai though! The i20 success story shows a hatchback can have an ZDi version, and still sell well! But then, they will have to lower the price of the LXi version as well, to bring it down below Etios Liva. Will be interesting how Maruti plays this card!
Old 26th January 2011, 18:05   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Etios dropped even power steering in lower variants, and it is missing many features present in competition. A solid car neverthless! Just the wrong example to support your statement, IMO.
I personally dont think its a wrong example !

1. I will always buy a car with the features I want - so it really doesn't bother me what features are cut in the low variants [Personally I am never a big fan of low variants].

2. If Maruti is thinking of reducing the length of Dzire to less than 4 metres, then they are looking at offering something better than Etios at a price similar to them.

As per your statement, they could have always stripped the Dzire off all features and priced it aggressively - but they are looking at options. And for me, this is what matters - competition brings goodies to us, customers.

And probably Etios low variant is mostly aimed at taxi segment who don't really care for all those extra bits.
Old 27th January 2011, 14:34   #307
BHPian

Hi
hope Maruti leaves the cosmetics and tries to improve the quality of the interior plastic (they really suck and vibrate like an old mans teeth in the cold) and shudder over slightly rough roads.

rgds
DP
Old 28th January 2011, 18:29   #308
Senior - BHPian

Indian autos blog has captured a higher trim level maruti suzuki swift.

Link: Spied - New Maruti Suzuki Swift | Indian Autos blog

That model looks to be like a ZXI with 15" alloys.
Old 28th January 2011, 18:38   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

This is the same thing which i told to my friend and he ignored me and bought a LDi. One should wait if the new launch is confirmed by reliable sources but many people don't bother about these things.

When you buy a car and it is discontinued just after the purchase the feeling is very wistful, the resale value of car is also affected.

BTW is there any technical change to engine also?
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:11   #310

Is existing Swift going to get discontinued after the release of new Swift or continue to be will be available ? I read in couple of other forums that the existing swift will also be available along side the new one. It doesn't make sense but there was some discussion around this.

-b
Old 2nd February 2011, 17:58   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhavani View Post
Is existing Swift going to get discontinued after the release of new Swift or continue to be will be available ? I read in couple of other forums that the existing swift will also be available along side the new one. It doesn't make sense but there was some discussion around this.

-b
We have answered this question time and again and will do so for the last time. The existing swift will be phased out and replaced by a new one soon.
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:05   #312
Senior - BHPian

New Swift, apparantly, is among the safest small hatches out there.
The safest cars on sale - Telegraph
(picture is of the old Swift, but the article refers to the new one)
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:14   #313
BHPian

@sidindica - Any chances of scoops on the new swift india launch soon ?

I am just bummed by the "no launch date yet" thing for so long now.

ACI Feb issue suggested "May 2011" coinciding with the old Swift launch month (back in 2005).
Old 8th February 2011, 00:39   #314
BHPian

Team
I just sold my 6 years old Tata Indica two days ago. I had booked a Swift back in Oct '10 but now I guess I will just wait for the new one to launch.

Any inside info on the price hike? If yes, how much increase is expected?

I wish dealers could get a clue about the launch date and start accepting bookings.
BTW, glad they launched SX4 -D. Cheers!
Old 8th February 2011, 06:24   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
Team
I just sold my 6 years old Tata Indica two days ago. I had booked a Swift back in Oct '10 but now I guess I will just wait for the new one to launch.

Any inside info on the price hike? If yes, how much increase is expected?

I wish dealers could get a clue about the launch date and start accepting bookings.
BTW, glad they launched SX4 -D. Cheers!
Since you have already booked your swift, probably you can change it to the new Swift. I read in this thread that dealers are agreeing to change the existing booking to the new Swift. Please do check that since you are ready to wait for the new one. Also this might help you to get a priority for delivery.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed