Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 00:39   #46
BHPian

The same interiors coming to India? I doubt it. They will most likely spruce up the current interiors one level. 2 din audio will be available only in the high end trim level. But overall, the best just got better
Old 24th June 2010, 00:44   #47
BANNED

Its still the same old wine in a new bottle or vice versa.

The swift is past its prime, its time Suzuki / Maruti gets something better.
Old 24th June 2010, 01:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

I dont really think Swift is past its prime.Why fix something thats not broken?the swift is setting sales records month after month even now.That speaks volumes of the car.So instead of doing something radical,maruti has introduced more of an evulutionary change to the swift and i think it has pulled it off reseonably well.
Old 24th June 2010, 02:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I dont really think Swift is past its prime.Why fix something thats not broken?the swift is setting sales records month after month even now.That speaks volumes of the car.So instead of doing something radical,maruti has introduced more of an evulutionary change to the swift and i think it has pulled it off reseonably well.
I think so too, I was hoping that the Swift would be able to do improve on the interior room and boot space both, but atleast the interior room is improved.

I criticized the Swift based on the spy shots, but I ate my words, because this version looks good. This is a good evolution of a huge success, I think this will do really well.
Old 24th June 2010, 02:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Nice write-up and nice pics. The new Swift does look more mature now. Interiors looks much better now, although the quality of Indian spec needs to be seen.

But, I do not understand the point of this new thread. We don't even have spy-pics yet, forget the test drive. We don't even have the India-spec car inside-info. Best thing would be to merge this thread with the older thread, IMHO.
Old 24th June 2010, 07:49   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks more hideous than the current model. They've taken a car with no straight lines in the first place, and added more curves !
Old 24th June 2010, 14:33   #52

Facelift New Swift launch in India, the interiors would be much different than compared to other markets. Hope the low quality and boring interiors are not continued into the new one to be launched in India
Old 24th June 2010, 14:50   #53
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not a big fan of the current Swift's rear end design. And the next-gen Swift is also similar. Some change in the character of the car would have been appreciated.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Engines and Gearboxes:

Initially the swift will be available In Europe with 2 power train options.
  • 1.2 K 12 B gasoline: This engine is an evolution of the same K 12 M which powers the current Indian swift and in the interests of uniform options which result in huge savings of development costs, the European model too gets this motor but heavily modified. It replaces the previous M13A and M15A motors respectively. This 1242 motor produces a class topping 94 ps@6000 rpm and 118 NM torque at a highish 4800 rpm. Surprising, isnt it? But don't these figures fool you. This motor promises to be the most advanced in its class, even more than the class topper, the 1.2 i-vtec of the jazz. Unlike the i-vtec motor which only features VVT tech in the intake valves which work at varying rpms, this motor features dual VVT, in addition to the usual 16V DOHC tech. With varying valve timings in both intake and exhaust valves, this motor promises class leading performance, efficiency, refinement and emissions. 0-100 is claimed in 12.3 seconds.
Its highly unlikely that MUL will make the modifications to the Indian offering... Even if they do, thanks to excise norms, they would have to downsize the engine to 1198 cc to keep it under 1.2 ltrs. Quick maths will tell you that this would result in 90 PS engine.... I am not even taking the fact that fuel quality in India may require further reduction in power. At 88 odd bhp its not that much better than the 1.3 ltr unit from Esteem that Swift originally debuted with.

The car overall is an evolution rather than revolution that the original swift was. Looks like Suzuki choose to spend more mullah on interiors, the exteriors look boring (given that there is hardly any change in the 6 year old design). I am sure though, with this upgrade, Swift will continue to rule the roost. Not caz its a winner, but caz competition can not simply offer a car like Swift in the price point that MUL can afford to offer it in India.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I am sure though, with this upgrade, Swift will continue to rule the roost. Not caz its a winner, but caz competition can not simply offer a car like Swift in the price point that MUL can afford to offer it in India.
It will rule the roost most importantly due to the perception ( A.S.S being the killer blow and the famed less maintenance costs) and the price point to an extent. Price point wise there are at least 2 or 3 manufacturers i.e, Ford's Figo, Tata's Vista,Fiat's Punto who offer same or better value IMO.

Having said that, the interiors look refreshing and nice. If there is a decent improvement in rear leg room coupled with 60:40 split seats for all models( I hope they do it) It would do the owners a lot of good.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its highly unlikely that MUL will make the modifications to the Indian offering... Even if they do, thanks to excise norms, they would have to downsize the engine to 1198 cc to keep it under 1.2 ltrs. Quick maths will tell you that this would result in 90 PS engine.... I am not even taking the fact that fuel quality in India may require further reduction in power. At 88 odd bhp its not that much better than the 1.3 ltr unit from Esteem that Swift originally debuted with.
Chances of an engine change are next to nil unless they decide to sell both generations of the Swift side by side. The only likely upgrade, if at all any, would be the VVT treatment which could up a few horses along with better FE and reduced emisions.

Quote:
The car overall is an evolution rather than revolution that the original swift was. Looks like Suzuki choose to spend more mullah on interiors, the exteriors look boring (given that there is hardly any change in the 6 year old design).
This is not a nose job. Every panel on that car is brand new. As you said, its an evolution of the current Swift.

Quote:
I am sure though, with this upgrade, Swift will continue to rule the roost. Not caz its a winner, but caz competition can not simply offer a car like Swift in the price point that MUL can afford to offer it in India.
Its the best selling car in its segment, month after month, still soldering on despite competition from the newer i20, Polo, Figo, Beat and what not. If that's not a winner, then I don't know what is. The competition is offering models at similar or lower price points. Maruti has one from its own stable too. As a package, the Swift ticks the most number of right boxes, for most people, which is why the margin by which it outsells the competition, is more that the total monthly sales of a few manufacturers.

Last edited by longhorn : 24th June 2010 at 15:43.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Great Scoop Sid like usual

Sorry but the car looks hideous. The current Swift is GOD as compared to how this one looks.

The sporty look of the car is all gone out of the window in this one.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

The suzuki swift is wagonR-ed. Nothing more, nothing less. FIAT!!! come on bring out the turbo petrol to smoke this contraption....
Old 24th June 2010, 23:03   #59
BANNED

SId thank you for the wonderful clear pictures.

I am ok with all the aspects of the new swift ,infact i thought was running in my mind to sell my current swift VDI 2008 and go for this one.

But all that changed once i saw the boot space.Why the hell does maruti does this ?? The same is the case with new Wagon R
Old 25th June 2010, 03:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Good review Sid !

Looks seems to have improved a bit , but the overall its remains the same. No Wow factor. I thought the increase in length would improve the boot space anyways the rear leg space is better now.
I feel Swift will be out of by end of this year or may be earlier to counter the Toyotas Etios hach.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks