Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 14:59   #61
BHPian

great pics sid
I think Maruti is giving sleepless nights to rest of the car makers with this product
if they could have changed the styling in the front a little bit it would rock
Old 25th June 2010, 15:35   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Would prefer not to see a Dezire'd version .
I would prefer a 'DZirification' of the new Swift like this: (Need to keep the C-pillar as it is, because the blackened A and B pillars need such a visual support in the C-pillar to complete its 'floated' look. Also, the boot length should be as small as possible.)
Attached Thumbnails
Gen2 Suzuki Swift, EDIT:Caught testing in India, Pics on Pg.15-marutisuzukiswift5.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 25th June 2010 at 15:55.
Old 25th June 2010, 18:37   #63
BHPian

Now the car looks awasome, but 221 liter boot is not acceptable. Also I feel like bigger wheels will make it more interesting.
Old 25th June 2010, 20:12   #64

This car is a great (and Logical) step forward for the Suzuki Swift. While maintaining the essential Silhoutte of the original concept (which by the way remains fresh, to date) fresh and styling infusions have ensured that the Car is an 'Aggresive Evolution' in a manner that would keep existing owners happy for continuing to be closely related to the new models while new owners are still connected to the original style DNA of the Swift. Overall a great move forward and now eagerly looking forward to New Swift on Indian shores.
Old 25th June 2010, 22:01   #65
BHPian

With no doubt the new avatar is a treat! Now we could see another mad rush of waiting period once its launched.
Old 25th June 2010, 23:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

This car set the benchmark for small cars some 5 years ago & I believe it is going to do it all over again with the new launch. Hats off to Suzuki for a superb makeover.

The power output for the new petrol engine is superb. The new Swift is finally going to be THE hatch to own.

I love the new interior and exterior styling.
Old 26th June 2010, 09:44   #67
BHPian

[quote=agm;1948187]Awesome job Sid.

Some times i wonder how you manage to get all these info and pictures ,which many fails to get.

quote]

All the info and the pics have been adapted by sid from 2011 Suzuki Swift: New Photo Gallery and Complete Specs - Carscoop

Moving on..nonetheless the new swift tries to make space in the i20 - Punto markets, while doing so it has lost its sporty appeal.
The transition from a shorter wheel based hatch into a longer, more utility based car, the New Swift seems to adapt according to the competition. This car has turned towards more or less, a family oriented car, rather than an enthusiast's'.

The above facts are obviously my opinion.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:13   #68
Team-BHP Support

Good review, Sid.

Is it just me or does the rear-end have Renault Megane written all over it? Nevertheless, it looks a lot more fresh and a little more contemporary than the old Swift. Although I sense it may not appeal to the majority.

I don't see any improvement in terms of space. The terrible rear leg-room seems to have been carried forward from the old Swift. Ditto the boot-space.

I sincerely hope Maruti introduce the 90 hp 1.3 MJD instead of sticking with the lesser 75 hp lump.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:12   #69
BHPian

Woow, a job well done to Suzuki. The car looks very nice. I just love the shape of the C-Pillar. And i think European countries get a 3 door version as well, I am sure that is going to look fantastic with a factory fitted sports body kit.

And as everyone has rightfully pointed out, competition is stiff in this segment, so i guess it all comes down to what Maruti decides to do with the pricing. If they decide to charge the customer a premium for this brand new model, then the swift might have to relinquish its crown as the 2nd, 3rd best selling passenger car in India in any given month tag. But if they do what they did with the New WagonR and make the transition form old to new seamless then they have yet another winner for sure.

Maruti, please keep the pricing competitive and also if possible do research on whether the 3 door version will sell in numbers here in India. With most families in tier I and tier II cities owning more than one cars, you might be pleasantly surprised as to how many takers there might be for a Hotted up 3 door version of the swift. :-)
Old 26th June 2010, 14:34   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift sport, 3-door, 90bhp. Hmmmm. Sure will be a dream to drive.

With the current scenario(waiting period and all), I wonder how can Maruti produce this 'limited edition'.

The body structure sure will be different than the regular model, doors will be different, being a 'sport', suspension, transmission would be better/different, then you have the completely different engine. Sounds like a lot of changes!!

I think Maruti top brass might have pondered over it, but eventually everyone quietly returned to their respective cabins!!
Old 26th June 2010, 15:11   #71
BHPian

"Dry Ice" you are absolutely correct in your observation. Lets just hope that stiffer competition in the industry will put more pressure on Maruti to increase volumes in the near future and Maruti might just start looking at low volume niche products like the 3 door swift.

Another benefit of stiffer competition could be that the demand for the swift may not be as high as it is now (in the future) with other cars such as the Vw polo or the Ford figo and many more coming into the picture.

But these are all wishes and desires, and deep down I do realise I am not going to be able to buy a factory produced hotted up Swift any time soon. :-(.
Old 26th June 2010, 16:57   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

The body structure sure will be different than the regular model, doors will be different, being a 'sport', suspension, transmission would be better/different, then you have the completely different engine. Sounds like a lot of changes!!
When you compare the 3-door Swift to it's 5-door sibling, there is absolutely nothing different underneath. It sits on the same chassis, it's powered by the same assortment of engines as in the 5-door variant, they have the same transmission; there is nothing better/different about it. And most of all, there is nothing 'sport' about it.

In the UK market and other markets, the Swift is sold in 2 body styles i.e. 3-door and 5-door. Both variants come with the same engine/suspension/transmission/body structure. The only difference is that one is a 3-door and the other is 5.

On the other hand, the 'sport' tag is exclusive to the Swift Sport which nestles a larger and more pumped up 1.6 litre lump and comes with all the bells and whistles you'd expect. In fact, this 'Sport' variant can be chosen in both 3-door/5 door guise!
Old 26th June 2010, 17:03   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

suhaas thanks for the info. My post was in a lighter vein, trying to *think* like Maruti. The way it(rather, almost all the players in the indian market) stays away from launching a enthusiasts' car.
Old 26th June 2010, 18:01   #74

Just wondering whether rmaruti can come up with a convertible version of the dZire. Might look good and although not very practical, we miss a convertible in our market.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:40   #75
BHPian

Great going Sid - nice write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
The rare Fabia is going to mistaken for a Swift more frequently.
With VW taking a stake in Suzuki, this could be a "game plan"

Swift was a revolution when it first came out. It was the only car at that price range that offered ABS, Airbags, climate control etc and a lot more. The design was also revolutionary. This was value for money and the reason why I brought the car in 2006.

The new Swift although good does not seem to have the "wow" factor that the launch of the previous model generated. While it will still be a good seller and will probably retain the top position, it might not provide the increase in volumes that the launch of the old one did to Maruthi.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed