Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 14:21   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
When I bought the car in December last it came with a 100000km/3year warranty.
Quote:
I would like to know from GTO as he has mentioned that 3 years/45000km package for Cruze costs Rs.33,999/-
Quote:
How does this work against the original package of 3years/100,000km which was offered when I bought the Cruze.
Just to clarify:

Warranty : Free replacement of defective parts. Every car is sold with a warranty.

Service packages : Free services (regular scheduled maintenance visits). These are generally optional, and can be availed of by paying a certain fee.

The two are completely different.

Quote:
Then he called up after a TD of my car and said brake pads have to be replaced which costs Rs.5000/- for front and Rs.8000/- for rear.
Known dealer scam. Have your pads checked out by a local competent mechanic. I doubt they'd need replacement so early.

Quote:
do I need to pay this amount before hand so that all my services are covered up?
Generally, the service packages can only be bought at the time of delivery.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:52   #17
BHPian

Yes, the honeymoon period (first three years) is always beautiful. Now its the time to sing, dance and somersault. Once the fascination period is over, people start realizing the tough realities.

Even for the worst auto - product, the useful operating life period covers the first three years and even-though there are some known problems /issues, the mean time between failure (MTBF) is very high (other than some rare manufacturing defects). The real cash outflow starts only after the fifth year, because of aging and wear and tear. Then multiple and chain problems start, where nobody will be there to rescue with "cashless ownership".

Even in the offered period, GM avoided the most common point of failures like tires, batteries and any damages because of accidents. So in my opinion its only a marketing gimmick, where GM already accounted for the regular service cost and the consumables used. Believe nothing is free in this world.

Also who knows GM is calculating the cost and its interest and its interest for all these freebies offered, to be charged after the third year.

Tail Note : One point of time I was a strong admirer of GM. Today I hate GM, only because of the terrible attitude of their dealers, who is supposed to act as the brand ambassadors for the company. I don't suggest a GM car even to my enemies (Sorry if its an off topic).

Last edited by sunil8089 : 24th June 2010 at 15:00.
sunil8089 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2010, 15:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
Today I hate GM, only because of the terrible attitude of their dealers, who is supposed to act as the brand ambassadors for the company. I don't suggest a GM car even to my enemies (Sorry if its an off topic).
As someone who is about to get a GM car, I would like to know the reason for this. Care to share your experience here?
Old 25th June 2010, 11:39   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, the honeymoon period (first three years) is always beautiful. Now its the time to sing, dance and somersault. Once the fascination period is over, people start realizing the tough realities.
GM Service is fairly inconsistent and varies from dealer to dealer. Not at the Maruti level by a mile, but there is a fair share of satisfied owners. My bhabhi drives a Spark and we're happy with the after-sales in Bombay (two services up), Rudra owns an Optra since 5+ years in Optra is another satisfied owner, and there're plenty more on the forum. I think its important to run a forum search and zero in on the right dealer. Look up actual owner review threads.

Quote:
the useful operating life period covers the first three years and even-though there are some known problems /issues, the mean time between failure (MTBF) is very high (other than some rare manufacturing defects). The real cash outflow starts only after the fifth year, because of aging and wear and tear. Then multiple and chain problems start, where nobody will be there to rescue with "cashless ownership".
Agreed with the Opels; they were disastrous to own. That's why GM ditched the brand. However, the new Chevys are all Korean and thus, fairly reliable + cheap to own. Fact is, Jap & Korean products are the most relevant to our market (reliable, fuel efficient, cheap spares etc.).

Quote:
Even in the offered period, GM avoided the most common point of failures like tires, batteries and any damages because of accidents.
Hardly any manufacturer gives warranty coverage for the battery, tyres or accidental damage. Batteries & Tyres are covered by their respective manufacturers; this is the norm and hardly something you can hold against GM.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

I shall site another example where the cashless ownership + the 1,00,000 kms warranty has been beneficial to me.

Yesterday while driving I realised that the car is overheating. On checking the coolant, it was found empty. I took the car to GM workshop this morning and the radiator was found leaking. The radiator was changed under warranty, no questions asked. The coolant was also replaced and the labour was also free. All in all, I came back without paying a single penny. (Well apart from the small tip to the mechanic)

I totally agree with GTO that this might just be the case with my Dealer, other dealers may handle the above situation in a different manner.

My experience with my Dealer has been good so far. Since the dealers are the face of a company, I wouldnt mind buying a GM car again from the same dealer.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
GM Service is fairly inconsistent and varies from dealer to dealer. Not at the Maruti level by a mile, but there is a fair share of satisfied owners. My bhabhi drives a Spark and we're happy with the after-sales in Bombay (two services up), Rudra owns an Optra since 5+ years in Optra is another satisfied owner, and there're plenty more on the forum. I think its important to run a forum search and zero in on the right dealer. Look up actual owner review threads.

Thanks GTO, but I am not happy with GM dealers in Chennai - both Sundaram Motors and KLN Motors

TVS (Sundaram Motors)
- They generally had a brand image of TVS. Even though I was a genuine prospect,I never ever got any respect (as I get from Maruti & Hyundai) or at least a fair treatement.
  • When you walk to a TVS office the first thing you notice is that - you recieve a cold welcome, seems like they are thinking "Why this fellow is here?". You have to proceed to the counter to make them understand the objective of the visit.
  • In my first discussion I had, the sales person (fairly a senior fellow) walked away while proceeding and sat with another prospect (who may be better valued) and never came back. I was left unattended for more than 10 minutes. At last I got irritated and walked out from their office.
  • Next time I met another fellow (Mr.Raj) who is a junior fellow, but fairly OK in behavior. Since I need a performa invoice for a loan, do you know how many times I had to beg with him to sent me the same.
  • Because of some personal reasons I postponed the purchase from Dec 2009 to Jan 2010, where the GM price got increased, I phoned and requested for revised price quote from the same person. But I never got any reply or he never had a courtesy to call me back one time.
  • Since I didn't receive the same I called him again and inquired the same. The excuse was wonderful - "He was shifted from the sales of Spark to Beat". But he could have redirected my request to another person who may be handling Spark. This was my last engagement with Sundaram and GM.
But if this is their attitude in sales team, I am really afraid of their attitude if I go for the mentioned "free service". Further more in none of the visits (at least 4 time), they never offered me a cup of coffee (even though I may refuse) or the politeness to offer me a seat till somebody attend me. I have to wander in the shop floor or near car till I catch some sales person.

KLN Motors : They are slightly better in pricing, but I don't know whether these fellows heard about "Sales followup".
  • June 2009, they had conducted an event in our apartment complex along with Radio Mirchi, where they displayed Spark as well as test drived the same. They took all my contact details. Till today I not even receive one followup call from them.
  • Whenever I planned to buy the car, I always visited them and took competitive quote. But no followups from their side.
  • They never offered me a test drive and whenever I asked for the same, they given some lame reasons like "Car gone out for another test drive"
Commonly both have an attitude - "If you want, buy the car other ways get out." The professionalism is lacking in their Sales calls and behavior.

At the same time I will tell my experiance from Hyundai from Hyundai Motor Plaza (HMP) Guindy, even though it was a casual visit.
  • The receptionist given me warm welcome, a sweet smile and asked me to wait in the launch.
  • She offered me a coffee, and asked to wait for five minutes, till the next sales person is free. Also she given me some news papers / magazines to keep me engaged.
  • Approx 5 minutes after one fellow named "Manikandan" came to me and start the discussion.
  • One thing which really impressed me is, since I was from Kerala, he tried to talk to me in my mother tongue, even though he don't know the language much.
  • He took me through the features, descriptions and model details (i10 and Santro). Moreover he presented and demonstrated things to me, even though I was not a very keen to see all.
  • He offered me a test drive, even it it was night, but I refused.
  • He given me the brochure and a quote with all available cash benefits as a nice A4 size pack.
  • Also he offered me all arrangements to take care of my old car - Matiz (which is a pain to sell) through some trusted dealers.
  • But most importantly he did regular followup, at least once in every two weeks. Every time I say some objection, he say "No problem sir, i will be in touch with you after some time."
Even though Hyundai was one of the least preferred brand in my mind at that time, I ended up in buying a Hyundai, primary because of their customer service attitude and regular sales followup. More than buying a product I am having the emotional happiness that they see some value in me and treated as a king.

Maruti is also not much different. I been to Cars India, Kiwiraj Motors and Indus motors many times. They also have the courtesy to see you as a valued customer, without any egos. Also some of them were chasing me to close the sales.

I know dealers have nothing to do with Company's attitude and culture, but as a common man I never be able to be in touch with the parent company. I know many GM products are miles ahead than Hyundai and Maruti equivalents in quality and VFM, but I may have to depend these nonprofessionals for any of my future needs. So I stayed away from GM.

This is one of the primary reason why Maruti's and Hyundais are selling well in this country.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:02   #22
BHPian

Ok not on all cars !!

the standard warranty of 45k kms or 3 yrs is common to all chevy products, but the chevy promise (i.e. no costs of replacing or repairing of any parts or oils, just fill petrol and drive for 3 yrs) is valid only on the Spark.

i had been to the showroom to test drive a Beat and specifically asked for it and came to know about the same.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TVS (Sundaram Motors) - They generally had a brand image of TVS. Even though I was a genuine prospect,I never ever got any respect (as I get from Maruti & Hyundai) or at least a fair treatement.
lesser said about sundaram motors the better. now imagine how sundaram+ honda can be !!

Quote:
Just to clarify:

Known dealer scam. Have your pads checked out by a local competent mechanic. I doubt they'd need replacement so early.

brake pads have a straight line across the pad surface which is a few mm deep. you need to even think of changing the pads only when the line has vanished ( because of pad wear )
Old 25th June 2010, 15:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if this sounds off topic, I have started seeing some Optras in the classifieds on TBHPs. All are good looking cars with a price of just 3.5 lacs. Is it that the resales value is less or are these cars expensive/ problem-some to maintain/ less reliable after the initial 3 or 5 year warranty period?
Just curious to know.
Old 23rd February 2013, 20:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hardly any manufacturer gives warranty coverage for the battery, tyres or accidental damage. Batteries & Tyres are covered by their respective manufacturers; this is the norm and hardly something you can hold against GM.
Agreed. But this is not warranty we are talking about; Its the 3 year cashless ownership package which owners have to pay extra for. They are covering brake pads, oil, oil filter and every other wear and tear part, then why not Tyres and Battery. Accident related is 100% understandable. There are batteries with 2-3-5 years of warranty available in the market. High mileage tyres are also available in the market with every manufacturer. Its a matter of tuning their OEM deals to match their Complete care package - After all the customer is paying for it.

Additionally, Most manufacturers do cover clutch plate under warranty. Somehow GM does not. GM needs to review their commitment to the indian market. Product and product pricing are good no doubt but the dealership niggles need to be ironed out quick, fast and in a hurry. Lest they end up with the sales numbers faced by TATA in current day and age.

Quote:
Agreed with the Opels; they were disastrous to own. That's why GM ditched the brand. However, the new Chevys are all Korean and thus, fairly reliable + cheap to own. Fact is, Jap & Korean products are the most relevant to our market (reliable, fuel efficient, cheap spares etc.).
Not quite sure how accurate this statement is wrt year 2013; The spark and Optra were the resurrection of Daewoo models, UVA I am not so sure. Aveo was an Suzuki tie up if I remember right.
But Beat, Aveo, SAIL, SAIL Sedan, Cruze, Captiva are all original GM products.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd February 2013 at 20:15. Reason: back to back posts. please use multiquote feature to quote & reply to multiple posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks