Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 21:06   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
The other thing he mentioned was that moving forward EP may come with 90 HP default. So maybe Fiat is trying to up the game on the Punto by providing the EP with 90 HP - would be awesome if this is done at the same price or with a marginal increase.
Good move from the FIAT to bring in the "Sporty Hatch".
Will they upgrade my 3 month old MJD EP with 90 HP MJD engine

Hope FIAT does the Killer pricing for Punto Sports.
Old 6th July 2010, 21:48   #197
BHPian

This is very nice & good. But i cant understand why the heck have they not started sending out teasers... Nothing on the tv or in the newspapers. They should have started everything by now.
Old 6th July 2010, 22:13   #198
Senior - BHPian

My observations are in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
The Punto 90 HP is expected to be launched by July 15. The price is expected to be about 40-70K more than the current Punto EP.

40-50K is what the guys @ Kulathungal Motors, Trivandrum said also, when I went there to take delivery of my MJD EP FGT.

The other thing he mentioned was that moving forward EP may come with 90 HP default.

In addition, eventually the VGT will be available in Active and Dynamic also as an engine option, according to the Trivandrum guys.
Old 6th July 2010, 22:53   #199
Senior - BHPian

It seems the dealerships are still confused about 'Punto Sports' and 'Punto 90HP'. I think that's why many dealerships mention 40-70K premium over current Punto MJD EP. It depends on the city as well. Probably 40K increase in OTR price is valid for Bangalore (where taxes are high).
Old 6th July 2010, 23:03   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Pricing the Punto 90 hp more than 15k's over and above the current Emotion pack trim would be a sacrilege. Fiat needs volumes at this point of time, not exclusivity and it makes sense as well because apart from the FGT to VGT and a remapped ECU, absolutely nothing else changes.
15k is less for a new variant.....the 75 hp will get cannibalised then. Also a VGT does not come cheap & so is the ECU. Expect a 25-30k jump in pricing of the 90 HP.

But I'm sure it will be priced lower than the i20 & even the exorbitantly priced Polo diesel (which has a mediocre 75hp 3 cyl. motor)

Except for the fit & finish (which seems to have improved as per auto mags) I see no other deficiency in the Punto 90 HP, which is supposed to be a very torquey car.
Old 7th July 2010, 00:43   #201
BHPian

Saw one Gray colored G Punto 90HP parked on F. C. Road just outside the Times House Building, last Thursday. The car bore a red temp. registration plate and had a black film. Can't say if it was a TD vehicle (since was parked outside TOI office) or actually a delivered vehicle to some customer

The pic taken by me is almost the same as sidindica's in post 167, only thing is its gray in color(and low in quality as it was taken from my E51 in dim light conditions).
Old 7th July 2010, 09:00   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pricing the Punto 90 hp more than 15k's over and above the current Emotion pack trim would be a sacrilege. Fiat needs volumes at this point of time, not exclusivity and it makes sense as well because apart from the FGT to VGT and a remapped ECU, absolutely nothing else changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
To be honest, I see a price increase of 20K (almost the same as you), and if that indeed is the case, boy, would that be great!
It isn't just about strapping a VGT and a remapped ECU. The 90 HP variant has different pistons, etc in the power train. A close friend working for FPT mentioned at least 10 differences that I cannot recall at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
Saw one Gray colored G Punto 90HP parked on F. C. Road just outside the Times House Building, last Thursday. The car bore a red temp. registration plate and had a black film. Can't say if it was a TD vehicle (since was parked outside TOI office) or actually a delivered vehicle
Test car for Zigwheels I presume?
Old 7th July 2010, 09:16   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
It isn't just about strapping a VGT and a remapped ECU. The 90 HP variant has different pistons, etc in the power train. A close friend working for FPT mentioned at least 10 differences that I cannot recall at this time.

I would still say that the premium shouldnt be more than 15-20 k's simply because Fiat-Tata already have volumes in the form of Linea + Manza which come with the same engine.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:22   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't very confident myself, but I was thinking that it shouldn't be a huge deal:

a. FGT - VGT (Main cost)
b. ECU remap - zero cost.
c. Changing connecting rods/pins etc. should be negligible.
d. Cooling - Now this is the area where I think I went wrong, maybe the cooling system is beefed up, coolant pump etc.

I cannot see why they'd need different pistons, diesel engines are built tough, this extra power shouldn't have any effect. Plus, they already have steady volumes from the Linea and the Manza (EDIT: just noticed ET's post above).

Anyway, I definitely was being too optimistic, thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited by Amartya : 7th July 2010 at 09:23.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:26   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would still say that the premium shouldnt be more than 15-20 k's...
Extreme, even if it is a minimal 20K ex-factory, the end user will have to pay 30+ K when you bring the tax factor into the picture. IMO, that justifies the 40-50-70K guesswork.

70K is a bit extreme, let us hope for 40...

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th July 2010 at 09:29.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:44   #206
BHPian

I fully agree with Extreme_torque, the premium has to be in the range of 15-20 K only. I dont see any reason for the cost of production to increase more than 20K. Yes if they give T-Jet then the price difference will be higher.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:21   #207
BHPian

By charging a premium of 15-20k, Fiat are not going to get 'numbers'. They might as well charge 50K extra and earn something out of it.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:47   #208
Senior - BHPian

I hope that, there will be a price revision for all the FGT variants to accommodate the VGT(or the 90HP). I believe Fiat should drop the Dynamic FGT to bring the E FGT closer to the Active.

Punto petrol range already has the 1.2 & 1.4 in both E and E Pack. And I think Fiat will do well to replicate at least the same in the Diesels as well.

Come on Fiat, be a sport.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:07   #209
Senior - BHPian

Punto 90 bhp VGT got launched already?
Old 7th July 2010, 12:15   #210
BHPian

Just got a call from Tafe Chennai. The 90Bhp Punto is being launched at a 40K more than the current one.But no schemes/offer.. That makes it close to 70-80K more than the current FGT Epack.They are getting three vehicles this weekend! Have booked a test drive..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks