Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 01:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The slower acceleration times may be due to different gear ratios or state of tune done intentionally to keep the more expensive Linea superior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I will buy this argument. After all, you are paying about a lakh plus more for a similarly specced Linea. You need to show that Linea is faster than Punto.
According to the same article, the gears are same down to the last tooth, so that definitely is not the answer. Also, according to the technical specs, the max. power @ rpm too is same.
Old 24th June 2010, 01:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

The original Punto was not exactly an unpowered car and more horses under the hood will surely help the highway experience...

That said, that chassis just begs for more horses.
Old 24th June 2010, 07:56   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

This is going to be a nice Punto to own. Its nice to see Fiat respond to genuine customer requirement- somewhat of a first in the affordable car space.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:43   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
This is going to be a nice Punto to own. Its nice to see Fiat respond to genuine customer requirement- somewhat of a first in the affordable car space.
Genuine customer requirement?

One look at the sales charts reveals the true story. Hopefully, this will help pull in better numbers. I hope they offer it on both the Dynamic and emotion variants, else i20 and Swift on either ends will continue to eat its sales!
Old 24th June 2010, 11:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Genuine customer requirement?

One look at the sales charts reveals the true story. Hopefully, this will help pull in better numbers. I hope they offer it on both the Dynamic and emotion variants, else i20 and Swift on either ends will continue to eat its sales!
I don't think sales are going to increase drastically with this engine. Maruti and Hyundai fans cannot be enticed with a VGT engine, because the last thing they would be concerned about would be power. The only lot whom FIAT may be trying to please here is the genuine FIAT fans who chose stay away as they found the engine less powerful.

Moreover it would be better for FIAT if Maruti and Hyundai buyers do not convert to FIAT because they would end up cribbing about A.S.S and mileage.
Old 24th June 2010, 13:25   #51

Spoke to the Fiat sales guy today as I was planning on buying the Punto 1.3 MJD EP, but was wondering if I should wait for the 90BHP version.

The sales guy said that the Punto 90BHP model is likely to be available only in the Emotion pack version. Also said that pricing is likely to be about Rs 50K higher than the regular Punto Emotion Pack version.

Not sure how correct the info is, as the sales guy does not have the actual pricing and may only be his speculation. So take it for what it’s worth…
Old 24th June 2010, 13:55   #52
BHPian

Power curves for the 75HP and 90HP versions. As you can see, there is not much difference in the lower revvs, but it gets better as it goes up.
Name:  pcurve.png
Views: 2807
Size:  11.4 KB

Source: http://www.psi-motorsport.com
Old 24th June 2010, 15:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

I just got off the phone with the dealership in Cochin. They told me that they haven't received any information from Fiat about the launch.

If the launch is really slated for the first/second week of July, isn't it time that Fiat informed the dealers about it?
Old 24th June 2010, 15:35   #54

Motorbeam.com says the launch date as 16 July 2010.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:17   #55
BHPian

Again, the story here doesn't seem to be only on extra power...but a new technology - VGT. Fiat happens to be the only manufacturers of VGT in India, in this segment. Hyundai imports it.

VGT delivers more power without compromising on FE & having lower emissions, which a Pete's kit would not do.

Also, i20 sells lesser diesels than Punto.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:53   #56
xPK
BHPian

Hmm. Let me see,
Punto 90hp comes with,
1) Marginal increase in performance
2) Marginal increase in FE
3) Marginal increase in turbo lag.
- resulting in marginally hampered city drivability.
4) Rest all same. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
with 50k extra.

Currently ex-showroom mumbai price for punto 1.3 (EP) is 6,54,937.
So punto 90hp will be around 7,04,937.
On the other hand, ex-showroom price for i20 CRDI (asta) is 7,01,702.

So, I'm not sure whether punto sale will be increased (if yes, by how much), but there would be more i20s running on the road
Old 24th June 2010, 18:15   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Hmm. Let me see,
Punto 90hp comes with,
1) Marginal increase in performance
2) Marginal increase in FE
3) Marginal increase in turbo lag.
- resulting in marginally hampered city drivability.
4) Rest all same. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
with 50k extra.

Currently ex-showroom mumbai price for punto 1.3 (EP) is 6,54,937.
So punto 90hp will be around 7,04,937.
On the other hand, ex-showroom price for i20 CRDI (asta) is 7,01,702.

So, I'm not sure whether punto sale will be increased (if yes, by how much), but there would be more i20s running on the road
There are few things you missed out.Check out the graph of 90BHp above and you will see you have much better top end with 90Bhp VGT compared to 75BHp FGT and this is without sacrificing the all important city drivability and fuel efficiency. Also the set of features on 90Bhp VGT are not known as of now.Also I20 CRDI with its vague steering (Video game like / lifeless) , soft suspension , poor road dynamics (compared to Punto ) never lets you enjoy the power in real life without risking yourself .Forget the I20 , take the eg of Verna which inspite if being a sedan is a poor handler .So what is the use of power with no control on it to put that power on ground.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 24th June 2010 at 18:18.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
There are few things you missed out.Check out the graph of 90BHp above and you will see you have much better top end with 90Bhp VGT compared to 75BHp FGT and this is without sacrificing the all important city drivability and fuel efficiency. Also the set of features on 90Bhp VGT are not known as of now.Also I20 CRDI with its vague steering (Video game like / lifeless) , soft suspension , poor road dynamics (compared to Punto ) never lets you enjoy the power in real life without risking yourself .Forget the I20 , take the eg of Verna which inspite if being a sedan is a poor handler .So what is the use of power with no control on it to put that power on ground.
I'll second this and say that although this might not be rocket-quick, nor would it set sales charts afire, but I sure am glad that Fiat is launching this model. The discerning customer now gets the choice of a fantastic engine for not so much money. The same customer (discerning) would be able to make out the turbo-lag in the i20 as well.

The i20 will sell, purely because of the Hyundai badge and it's stellar interior quality.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:46   #59
BHPian

50k incremental price is a speculation as of now....let the actual price be declared.

I feel Fiat has been responding well to customers & media. So u have the 90 hp on Punto & the T-jet on Linea coming later this year. For a co. that is hardly 2 yrs old, this is good enough. Also, ACI mentioned about better interior quality on 90 HP.

With the recent HT survey having Fiat on the top it'll certainly help the brand image.
Old 24th June 2010, 18:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
The i20 will sell, purely because of the Hyundai badge and it's stellar interior quality.
If there is something in the i20 to die for, it is that 5 star safety and 6 airbags. Nothing else, even the interiors would make me buy an i20. The plastic quality of the dash is good, but the brown-beige-silver combo gives me a nausea.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks