Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 13:17   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
history repeats itself...it happened with the launch of STILE 1.1... everybody thrashed it as underpowered...few thousand kms on it...it opened up & none of the owners really complained about drivability... samething happened with linea... few thousand kms under the belt... not a single customer so far has said it is underpowered... it again & again happens with all the FIAT's.... I say, no use test driving a new FIAT....

& it will again happen with 90HP PUNTO...

can we have CPH comment on this , the gear ratios with respect to 90HP in indian FIAT's....
You know this is absolutely what I have been feeling. I test drove the current 1.4 Petrol twice, 2 weeks apart and the SAME test drive car. My first comment to the sales executive at Consorde was, "Hey this car engine has oepend up since I drove it last time". I am so glad to hear that others feel this too.
Old 25th June 2010, 13:34   #77
BANNED

Is it coming with the same 3 pot engine, or a 4 cylinder.

The 3 cylinder on a VW is something that i am not able to digest.
Old 25th June 2010, 13:45   #78
BHPian

Economic Times has a different review:

Gruntier Grande Punto on the cards soon!-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Quote:
Floor this baby and you can immediately notice the extra pep in performance. The extra pep comes from the same engine that powers its bigger sibling, the Linea. Shifting from first to second in the powerband induces an almost first gear wheelspin thanks to the massive wave of torque. This is the result of the variable geometry turbocharger that not only offers a higher power output but also aids drivability and fuel efficiency thanks to lesser use of throttle.

In a segment currently operating with fixed geometry turbo Engines delivering 69-75 PS of power, the Punto will be the only car in its segment, with a 'locally produced' Variable Geometry Turbo engine. The Hyundai i20 is the only other hatch with similar power output and we can't wait to pit these together. The Punto 90 HP as it has been christened features minimum changes on the outside with the badging and the chromed door handles being the only differentiating factor. On the inside, the seats now feature sporty red stitching to highlight the new sporty character.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:15   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
This actually came in Zigwheels section of Yesterday's Bangalore TOI. They have given a decent review on the 90 HP.
Old 25th June 2010, 17:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Just would like to add a little bit there.

Most i20 sales are coming from the 1.2 . The 1.4 CRDi is not a volume seller.
But if i see the below report from monthly sales thread, its other way around! Hyundai sells more i20 diesel than Petrol http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...igures-10.html

Anyways i will wait for GTOs report rather than relying on ACI or some other report. GTO sir we are also waiting for i20 6 speed report

Last edited by recshenoy : 25th June 2010 at 17:57.
Old 25th June 2010, 18:33   #81
BHPian

Does it mean that Fiat is releasing Grande Punto EVO in India?
It also mentions they are releasing Punto EVO with 1.6L Tritec engine.
Old 25th June 2010, 18:41   #82
BHPian

Im saying this with my experience of a Vista QJD and a Linea petrol in the family, Like many others pointed out,FIAT engines open up after a few thousand KM. On a very recent trip to goa, My FIL redlined the car till the 3rd gear on the highways and we reached speeds of 165km/hr. We clocked around 900-1000km till goa as we got lost in the way and also we made intermediate trip to kolhapur and a few other places.

What I observed on the return journey was after the highspeeds/redlining and the kms clocked on our journey the car was feeling much smoother and the engine was sounding much much smoother as well and it felt like the engine had actually come to life.

In short it felt as if a few locked BHPS were unlocked. Same thing was experienced with the Vista's engine.

This is how FIAT engines are.No point bashing the car based on just one review and that too from ACI.

Last edited by MihirC : 25th June 2010 at 18:43.
Old 25th June 2010, 18:49   #83
BHPian

No, I do not think Fiat would launch the EVO versions anytime soon...also, the current Punto looks much better than the EVo version IMO
Old 25th June 2010, 18:52   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
But if i see the below report from monthly sales thread, its other way around! Hyundai sells more i20 diesel than Petrol http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...igures-10.html

That's not true. The sales figures's in karpusv's first post are incorrect. He had corrected them in another post later in the thread, which shows that i20 P outsells i20 D by a huge margin every month.

Although considering that Fiat manages to sell only around 1000 GPs a month, the number of Diesel i20s and Diesel GPs sold per month may be the same.
Old 25th June 2010, 18:57   #85
BHPian

Quote:
And the car can hit 0-100 in the mid 14s if tested properly using an accurate v-box, which the mods have access to.
Absolutely! This would be the Punto's final figure for the ton run....When the gear ratios are similar and ACI itself has given a 0-100 time of 15.02 secs for the Linea, it is only logical that the 100 Punto would do the same in the 14s

Lets get on with the launch then...
Old 25th June 2010, 19:32   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post

Anyways i will wait for GTOs report rather than relying on ACI or some other report. GTO sir we are also waiting for i20 6 speed report
actually there was a mistake in those figures , the corrected figures are over here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...igures-12.html
Old 25th June 2010, 20:04   #87
Senior - BHPian

one one hand you have a fiat punto

1248 cc multijet diesel
16V DOHC
90 horsepower@4000 rpm
20.4 kg-m torque@1750 rpm
5 speed manual
finally, a variable geometry turbocharger

and on the other hand, you have a Hyundai I20

1396 cc CRDI diesel
16V DOHC
90 horsepower@4000 rpm
22.4 kg-m torque@1750-2250 rpm
6 speed manual
variable geometry turbocharger

who will win? 5 speeds of pure Italian bliss or 6 speeds of Korean insanity?

this month wait is really killing me..please can we have team-bhp's first ever comparo between these 2 cars?

see both these are almost close in price, features and equipment (asta and emotion pack)

it should be an epic comparo.
Old 25th June 2010, 20:09   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
The spec sheet says the 90HP makes 20.4kgm of torque at 1750rpm (that’s 0.4kgm more at 250rpm lower than the 75HP). However, you feel this torque kick in only when the engine is spinning closer to 2500rpm. It is when you floor it that you’ll discover a considerable amount of lag. Wait a bit, let it spin to 2500rpm, and then, as the turbo kicks in, you’ll feel a bit more punch in the mid-range. If you keep the engine boiling, it’s possible to make good progress. It performs best when you upshift at around 4500rpm and stay above 2500rpm.
The turbo kicks in at 1750 RPM in both versions.

The VGT will marginally improve the already excellent driveability of the MJD
Old 25th June 2010, 20:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
history repeats itself...it happened with the launch of STILE 1.1... everybody thrashed it as underpowered...few thousand kms on it...it opened up & none of the owners really complained about drivability... samething happened with linea... few thousand kms under the belt... not a single customer so far has said it is underpowered... it again & again happens with all the FIAT's.... I say, no use test driving a new FIAT....

& it will again happen with 90HP PUNTO...

can we have CPH comment on this , the gear ratios with respect to 90HP in indian FIAT's....
Hi

I am not too techy. But from what you say, one has to drive a FIAT for a few thousand kilometers for it to "open up"

I think by that time one is "used to the car's behaviour" ofcourse a new engine needs to be run in BUT we also tend to get used to the way the cars drive.

Just my POV

Cheers
Old 25th June 2010, 22:15   #90
BHPian

New MOD for the GP

Well was just going through this months ACI, and came across this new MOD for the GP called the KIIRUS ECU remap. The thing is that they claim it REALLY makes a difference in its performance. It significantly develops more power though unknown to these guys . They have carried out a road test for the same and the timings do show significant improvement. The 0-60 coming up in 5.66 with the mod thats 1.13 secs quicker and 0-100 in 15.21 being a whole 2.63 secs quicker and shedding 4.71 in the run to 120 (15.21 as opposed to 17.84)

Keeping these timings in mind and the price at which it is offered ie; 19500/-(excluding duties) its sure makes the GP a better bet than the soon to be launched 90HP GP as its got superior performance (considering ACI's road test) and costs less than the expected price hike that is 50k.

Wish a comparison can be made between the pete's box and this kiirus one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks