Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 13:02   #106
BHPian

90 BHP Punto VGT Short Review Link

Here is the link : Review / Road Test of the 2010 FIAT Grande Punto 90HP for India
Attached Thumbnails
Punto Sport to launch-fiatpunto90hpopener.jpg  

Old 29th June 2010, 13:41   #107
BHPian

90 HP. wow !! .. now that's as impressive as it looks .... But again with a machine like punto, TATA needs to buckle up to be able to provide support on A.S.S for such wonderful machines.
IMO, as tempting as the machine might look and ride I would give it a second thought purchasing this vehicle as I would buy it with the intention of running the car to 5 digit + KMs and with the TATA's assurance on the vehicle's "long lasting life" I'd let it pass.

Hope Fiat stops the piggy back deal with TATA and imply a service that gets to be as reputed as the product.

Last edited by no_boundaries : 29th June 2010 at 13:56.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:45   #108
Senior - BHPian

Nice detailed review there by motoroids. Fiat should remove the 90HP logo, looks odd.

I was hoping a change in gearbox, but that's not in place.

I do agree with the author when he says that he would rather wait for a more rev happy 1.4 T-jet.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 29th June 2010 at 13:57.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:54   #109
BHPian

nice and clean review; but i have noticed all these reviews give 0 to 100 timing and not 100 to 0 (timing or distance); I guess braking is as important as accelerating
Old 29th June 2010, 13:59   #110
BHPian

They should have launched with improved gear box as well the sport sticker job, looks good.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:08   #111
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Good review. Btw, how many enthus will go bye for with this power or output? I doubt.

The most important thing to be done in my view is marketing + marketing + marketing. And ofcourse, marketing on the A.S.S too.

My 2 cents.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:16   #112
Senior - BHPian

Nice. The photographs in the review are simply breathtaking. Keeping in mind that Fiat engines open up after few thousand kilometers, I see even better and smoother performance down the line.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:28   #113
BHPian

This is the Punto that Fiat should have launched initially. This could end up being too little too late. People didn't buy the Punto not because it has a 75bhp engine but because of the following main reasons -

1. The first 2 gears being very short had played a big spoilsport.
Because, when people move the car in the first gear, they think that they would have to change gear at around 15-20kmph, but Punto's 1st gear doesn't go beyond 10kmph and the engine becomes very harsh if it is pushed further. This continues with the 2nd gear. So the general opinion people get is - the engine is noisy and the car is a dud with no pick-up at all.

2. Fit and finish - The last time I saw falling plastic bits was in our Amby in the 90s. When i saw them in the Punto, Imaginge how surprised one would have been.

3. A.S.S - Though some have got some good experiences with TASS recently. The majority is still having issues. Down south, the situation is very poor and shows no signs for improvement.

Though all the above 3 have been discussed to death, I feel Fiat should have concentrated on these things rather than just a '90hp' badge.

Sorry Fiat, you're getting the game All Wrong!!
Old 29th June 2010, 14:29   #114
BHPian

Raj, rest assured the Punto has superb braking so it wouldn't lag in that department. I know such apprehensions have started after you've seen or heard about the rocket hatch.. right?
Old 29th June 2010, 14:35   #115
BHPian

This is a much better review than that of ACI. I hope FIAT has not scrapped off the Punto sports edition plans with the meaty wheels and alloys along with the sunroof and moonroof. If FIAT launches the 90hp model with only a 50k premium over the existing model then this would sell in decent numbers.
Old 29th June 2010, 15:02   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
This is the Punto that Fiat should have launched initially. This could end up being too little too late. People didn't buy the Punto not because it has a 75bhp engine but because of the following main reasons
I feel otherwise. The Palio was a very good machine. but 1.6 led to a fuel guzzler image. No matter which version of Palio was under discussion, it was labelled a fuel guzzler.

This is what I used to hear a lot.

"Which car is that?"
"Its a Palio"
"Nice car but mileage is low"

This time they are doing it right. Make a good name for the car among the AAM JUNTA. Then start off by introducing high end versions.

We have to remember that not all car users/buyers are team-bhp'ians.
Old 29th June 2010, 15:21   #117
BHPian

a big mistake by FIAT to not launch 90HP in other variants(only in EM PK)... 90HP VGT gives better mileage than the 75HP FGT..... so they should have given the option of this engine in all their low end variants starting from ACTIVE versions...
Old 29th June 2010, 15:22   #118
superveloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
90 HP. wow !! .. now that's as impressive as it looks .... But again with a machine like punto, TATA needs to buckle up to be able to provide support on A.S.S for such wonderful machines.
IMO, as tempting as the machine might look and ride I would give it a second thought purchasing this vehicle as I would buy it with the intention of running the car to 5 digit + KMs and with the TATA's assurance on the vehicle's "long lasting life" I'd let it pass.

Hope Fiat stops the piggy back deal with TATA and imply a service that gets to be as reputed as the product.
Hey buddy, There isnt any tata assurance on the Puntos long life. The punto is designed, manufactured and assembled in India by FIAT INDIA. And the vehicle is just serviced in India by TML. Even warranty, vendors and service procedures are laid down by FIAT INDIA. So there is no point in bad mouthing TML.

The only similarity is that maybe the same person who services a TML vehicle would also service a FIAT vehicle in the service centre.
But mostly in all TATA-FIAT JV A.S.S there is a fiat team to handle fiat vehicles. And they are trained also by FIAT INDIA at Ranjangaon Training Facility.

If you are going to buy a punto then dont let your misconception stop you. But please dont bad mouth Indian Manufacturers. Oh and one more bit of information FIAT service was second from Last; in the last JD POWER CSI survey, While TML was 5th, above GM, FORD and HYUNDAI.

Old 29th June 2010, 15:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
a big mistake by FIAT to not launch 90HP in other variants(only in EM PK)... 90HP VGT gives better mileage than the 75HP FGT..... so they should have given the option of this engine in all their low end variants starting from ACTIVE versions...
What happens to the pricing then?
Old 29th June 2010, 15:27   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
This is a much better review than that of ACI.
Aren't ACI and Motoroids saying the same thing? They both say that 90 hp Punto is about a second and a half faster than the 75 bhp one. So, it is still in 16 secs for 0-100kph.

Motoroids has a more detailed review as compared to ACI.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks