Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:50   #1
BHPian

Punto Sport to launch

Note from Mod : This thread is closed. Please continue the discussion over on SidIndica's excellent test report

SOURCE: ACI

Important points are in bold.

On paper, this seems like the right thing to do – take the Linea’s 90bhp motor and stick it in a car that’s a 100kg lighter. The power-to-weight ratio goes up by 12bhp per tonne and you now have a car that, at least on paper, moves like it looks. A quick blast on the roads around the Fiat factory in Ranjangaon in the 90HP revealed if the extra horses have made a difference. And, as far as heart transplants go, this is an easy one. The Punto and the Linea share the same basic engine, with the only difference being the Linea has a variable geometry turbo while the Punto 75HP has a fixed geometry turbo. The two cars are also based on the same platform, so it was literally a plug-and-play application. That they share the same transmission down to the number of teeth on the gear cogs only helped matters. Fiat tweaked the Engine Control Unit and modified the Noise Vibration and Harshness package and voila, you have the Punto 90HP.
So, what is it like to drive? It starts and settles into a gravelly idle. Snick the gearlever into first, feel the progressive bit of the clutch and you’ll like the way it moves off the line. It feels a teeny bit gutsier than the 75HP on part-throttle progress. The spec sheet says the 90HP makes 20.4kgm of torque at 1750rpm (that’s 0.4kgm more at 250rpm lower than the 75HP). However, you feel this torque kick in only when the engine is spinning closer to 2500rpm. It is when you floor it that you’ll discover a considerable amount of lag. Wait a bit, let it spin to 2500rpm, and then, as the turbo kicks in, you’ll feel a bit more punch in the mid-range. If you keep the engine boiling, it’s possible to make good progress. It performs best when you upshift at around 4500rpm and stay above 2500rpm.
As you can see from the performance figures, the difference the 15bhp makes is when you drive flat out. The 90HP gets to 100kph 1.4 seconds faster, and you’ll hit 120kph a huge 3.7sec earlier than the 75HP. However, the in-gear acceleration times are virtually identical, making it hard to notice the power increase in everyday driving. Also, the engine gets quite audible when revved hard.
Admittedly, the car we drove wasn’t in its final spec, and Fiat has been working hard to improve on the other aspects of the Punto – there’s improved dashboard trim, better fit and finish and a few more features on the way. Fiat is also offering the sporty-looking red stitching we had on this Punto’s seats.
The 90HP will most likely be offered only in the top-of-the-line Emotion and Emotion Pack trim when it is launched in the second week of July this year, and it will be sold alongside the 75HP. We expect it to cost around 15 percent more than its lesser cousin.
The Punto 90HP isn’t that much quicker than the 75HP in the city. It is best on the highway where you’ll find the extra power complements the phenomenal ride and handling characteristics of the Punto. With the extra power and the other improvements to the car, what you can look forward to is a more complete Punto.
Attached Thumbnails
Punto Sport to launch-puntosport1.jpg  

Punto Sport to launch-puntosport2.jpg  

Punto Sport to launch-puntosport3.jpg  

Punto Sport to launch-puntosport4.jpg  

Punto Sport to launch-puntosport5.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2010 at 09:37. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Visibly not at all different from the normal Punto? Atleast black roof?
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:29   #3
BHPian

Forgive my naivety here, but the 90HP Punto shaves off 1.4 seconds to 100kph off its 75HP cousin. Experts correct me here - Won't a Pete'd 75HP Punto do the same?
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:31   #4
BHPian

Fiat Launches Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet in Argentina | Indian Autos blog

Check the above link. This claims that GP 90 HP accelerates from 0 to 100 kph in 12 seconds

Last edited by ashok_lat : 23rd June 2010 at 16:48.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:32   #5
BHPian

This is not the sport I guess but a regular emotion variant with VGT. The sport was supposed to come with sunroof and some other features.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thank god they have not called it sports and put the awful stickers. I guess pete box will do magic with this engine
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:41   #7
BHPian

So there is absolutely nothing sporty about the way the 90 HP Punto goes. Disappointing to say the least. The only visual difference I can see is the addition of chrome finished door handles just like the Linea.

I have a feeling that the 'Sport' moniker and all that comes along with it will not feature with the Punto 90 HP. Maybe Fiat have decided that the fully kitted out 'Sport' will come at a later date with the 1.4 T-Jet? Just thinking aloud actually. But that could make perfect sense. As the report suggests, this isn't the final spec of the new car. Let's wait and watch.

Last edited by roms : 23rd June 2010 at 16:46.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

The ACI article is already in discussion in the main GP threads. The GP that they tested is NOT the Punto Sports...
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:45   #9
BHPian

i feel this is a huge disappointment. is it as good as the i20 in terms of performance and braking?
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good Lord...Please get Fiat to plonk in that relic 1.6l engine. It is way way better than any existing engine off the Fiat India stables.

I don't understand why this car is so slow. Where is all the power going? There is no justification in calling it a "Sport Variant" when there is nothing really there. I was having high hopes they would launch the car previewed at Auto Expo. We now get something a lot lamer than that & no real performance.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

$ ! I was waiting for the one they showed on the car show!

Ok,so this is just 50k extra or so?
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
Fiat Launches Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet in Argentina | Indian Autos blog

Check the above link. This claims that GP 90 HP accelerates from 0 to 100 kph in 12 seconds
sir ji that link is of june 2009.one year old link
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

This should be an amazing diesel engine. And the Punto is probably the first car with a '90HP' badging at the rear
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
sir ji that link is of june 2009.one year old link
I know the link is 2009 but i wonder how come they quoted 12 Sec which is aprox 4 secs lesser than that shown in ACI
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

This had been as everyone pointed out a huge disappointment . After waiting for nearly a year , I was expecting them to do another GTX in the market but I guess at the moment , its Swift VDI/i20 who are the rockstars.

I dont understand what Fiat was trying to prove launching this product. Imagine a non sport VDI can kick the Punto sports 3 letter word all the way till 100 and still more.

Bad-Bad---Now I hope they dont launch the abarth Version with 96 bhp and a 0-100 timing of 15 seconds !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed