Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2006, 15:12   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Its really not a matter of what we "think". Rather, its more like what we "need" or "want". Our (enthusiasts) wants vary, for obvious reasons, than those of the typical Indian car buyer. We like to high-rev, but my neighbour would not have gone over 3000 rpm in his entire 60 year life. That said, we enthusiasts could have a different set of needs too. Case in point : I choose my cars based on performance, driving experience and looks. That reflects in the C220, Vtec and my petrol-Jeep attempt.

However, the latest entrant to my garage is.....an Indigo! Why? Because I needed a replacement for my Esteem which was primarily chauffeur driven. And I wanted to save my Benz and Vtec from the women and their grocery shopping trips!!! Its probably the only car that I would have missed taking the showroom delivery of.

Now you wont find Team-BHP fantasizing about the Indigo as much as even the Ikon 1.6. Thats because we are a community of enthusiasts...a select niche within the mass car buying population of our country.

Butttttttttttttttttttttt to answer your thread question : An astounding YES! To me, the only thing that matters is what I think......more than the thoughts of any other person I know.
Old 13th December 2006, 05:28   #17
BHPian

No.It doesnt matter to the manufacturers what "WE" the enthus think. It does matter to them what "Mr. Gupta" with 4 lacs in his pocket shopping for a small car thinks.
Old 13th December 2006, 11:41   #18
BHPian

Q1- regarding the education about the cars- definitely there are so many auto ethus in this forum who are better educated (regarding cars) compared to common men. but i also wanna add on that there are many people who are not a part of this forum but "well educated" related to all aspects of both car(atleast cars in the same segment of theirs) and driving(they may not be best but definitely good).

so the knowledge about the cars and other technical know hows dont necessarily reflect during the purchase. so should we take that a owner of M800 or any basic model made their purchase decision of buying that car because he/she is not educated or ignorant about that product? NO........... the owner may be an auto enthu n knows every stuff about the cars and market. but when it comes to purchase, everyone(including the experts) have their own "motivation/driving factors" for the purchase. apart from affordability, there may be other reasons for gettin a santro or zen(may be their needs and wants are satisfied, that may be an additional car for them and hence wants may be less, or they like something in that for that price etc.......)

similarly,people who go for merc, audi, BMW, Lambo are whatever do so because of satisfying their motivational needs(which can be status, safety, bhp or whatever). there are people who buy merc (not all) just because they can afford and they want that to be their status symbol(atleast in India). how many of them know about their vehicles fully? they are chauffer driven and taken care by them(expections are there).

so, at the end, it is all driving forces or purchase motivation( of both "we" and "them") that is important for the companies.

Q2- influence by another person - here again, the "another person" need not be an auto enthu and who knows the vehicle fully. usually people know what they want and influences are successful only if it hits that angle.
Old 13th December 2006, 13:34   #19
BHPian

I think it Matters!!! and circle of influence is growing :)

I think we are looking at only one side of three dimensional entity... The Car. We are too focused on the Car.

One of the influencing factors in deciding on the car is customer's needs/wants/wishes which is capped by several contraints.

But there are areas where this forum has been highly effective in spreading message like after sale service, consumer court cases etc.

Again I disagree on q1. that knowledgable folks are not going for best car..."best" is a relative term which differs from customer to customer.

When my needs change might even see me in c-class on expressway.

PS: The other two dimensions are Manufacturers & consumer. I don't think govt. & roads do really matter... the reality says they don't.
Old 13th December 2006, 14:36   #20
BHPian

Does it matter what “we” think?

It depends on 'matters whom?'

To us? Yes
To the general public? No
To the manufacturers? No

Most Viewed