Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 17:50   #1
BHPian

Manual Transmission Shift Indicator on the new i20

<Mods: Wanted to post this in the existing thread of i20 new variants, but that has been closed.>

While browsing through the i20 site saw this feature come up. When did Hyundai include this on the i20? I don't see this mentioned in Sid's thread of i20 new variants. Has it been added in the latest units getting rolled out? Can some of the newest owners confirm? Is it in Petrol or Diesel or both?

Well whatever it is, this is another first from Hyundai and it is keeping us surprised both sides (i20 on the positive extreme and Verna on the negative).
Attached Thumbnails
Manual Transmission Shift Indicator on the new i20-clipboard01.jpg  

Old 28th June 2010, 17:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

It has been available on the 6 speed Crdi since it was launched.
may be you just noticed it.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:55   #3
mxx
BHPian

Interestingly even I found this info on their site only yesterday.
I had been to the i20 website after the 6-speed crdi was launched, but dont remember seeing this.
Old 28th June 2010, 17:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

I can understand its utility on a auto shift (sequential etc). Would you need it on a Manual? Did Hyundai add this to say, ok here you go, we have one more thing that nobody has.

Last edited by srishiva : 28th June 2010 at 18:01.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The best shift indicator in a car is the Tachometer.

Does it actually need a separate thread?
Old 28th June 2010, 18:12   #6
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I can understand its utility on a auto shift (sequential etc). Would you need it on a Manual? Did Hyundai add this to say, ok here you go, we have one more thing that nobody has.
I guess you did not read the text in the pic. It does not just show the gears, but tells you when to upshift/down-shift optimally according to various parameters.
However, I think this feature will only be useful for newbie drivers.
Old 28th June 2010, 20:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure, if I understood this right. This is an indicator to show which gear the car is running presently on a MT gear box right? If that is the case, why would anyone want to see it on the instrumentation? In motorcycles, yes it makes sense as the gear lever remains in the same position, but on a car, why?
Old 28th June 2010, 21:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

@aargee, I was confused as you. I didn't read the descriptive box
It actually tells you the gear you should be in.
Old 28th June 2010, 22:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

+1. Hyundai is just too good at including a whole lot of these trivialities. Now, is it possible for an on-board computer to automatically change gears, based on the tip from this indicator? Perhaps batmobile can
Old 28th June 2010, 23:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The indicator tells you when to upshift or downshift (arrow displays) for optimum fuel consumption. Hence it is for MT and not for AT.

Maybe its another feature tht was already there in the export i20. Just tht the Indian version was stripped of it till now. The real time fuel consumption indicator is still missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Agreed. But then one can argue that the ORVMs can be manually closed, why the need for electric-foldable ones? Its all gadgetary at work my friend - and that sells.

Does not need a separate thread. But as you can read in my first post, the most relevant thread for this is closed by the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm not sure, if I understood this right. This is an indicator to show which gear the car is running presently on a MT gear box right? If that is the case, why would anyone want to see it on the instrumentation? In motorcycles, yes it makes sense as the gear lever remains in the same position, but on a car, why?
Clarified above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
+1. Hyundai is just too good at including a whole lot of these trivialities. Now, is it possible for an on-board computer to automatically change gears, based on the tip from this indicator? Perhaps batmobile can
Thats why they have the AT. To automatically change gears
Old 28th June 2010, 23:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this looks like a good feature to newbies; being an old fashioned guy, I would like to hear the engine & then shift the gears rather than looking at the instrumentation & change the gear. Personally, this wouldn't be a feature acting as a buying factor for i20.
Old 28th June 2010, 23:48   #12
BHPian

I guess it is usefull for freebies... but an extra feather on the premium priced car.

I have noticed the same and quoted on the below link on 17th June
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post1941752
Old 29th June 2010, 10:12   #13

To my mind Hyundai has brought this feature in to tackle part of the issue related to the turbo lag, mileage and overall reliability of their diesels.

I would think they have seen that a lot of their customers are first time Diesel heads who are not accustomed to driving a diesel engined car. Many of them probably drive their cars like petrols and lug their engines with a net result of lower mileage, acceleration and long term reliability. With this and like some earlier comments about a 'feature' to position to customers, Hyundai has brought this in.

Having said this, I would like to state that I find the RPM meter and the general engine sound and feel a much more useful indicator of when to shift. Also, looking at the display when driving could be dangerous.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:36   #14
BHPian

I did take a test drive of the new i20 (petrol) last week and the sales guy pointed me to this feature... I said "neat!"... Often times I have had to ask my dad to pick the right gear to maintain the best power and efficiency and there you go... the car tells you where the "sweet spot" is.... Although it is a little awkward to be looking behind the steering wheel for the small display, but once you get used to it it can be fun

It is yet another feather in the cap.... I am still waiting for the real time FE display... come on Hyundai... are you listening...
Old 29th June 2010, 12:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashpai View Post
To my mind Hyundai has brought this feature in to tackle part of the issue related to the turbo lag, mileage and overall reliability of their diesels.

I would think they have seen that a lot of their customers are first time Diesel heads who are not accustomed to driving a diesel engined car. Many of them probably drive their cars like petrols and lug their engines with a net result of lower mileage, acceleration and long term reliability. With this and like some earlier comments about a 'feature' to position to customers, Hyundai has brought this in.

Having said this, I would like to state that I find the RPM meter and the general engine sound and feel a much more useful indicator of when to shift. Also, looking at the display when driving could be dangerous.
+1

I think this is a very valid point.

A driver who is new to diesel engines would find this feature very useful, at least in the initial stages.

The feature may become redundant after some time, when the driver starts to feel the engine and upshift/downshift based on speed/rpm/engine sound etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmania View Post
Often times I have had to ask my dad to pick the right gear to maintain the best power and efficiency and there you go... the car tells you where the "sweet spot" is.... Although it is a little awkward to be looking behind the steering wheel for the small display, but once you get used to it it can be fun
Same here. Even I don't like it when my dad lugs the car in a high gear or revs the car in a low gear unnecessarily.

If such a feature was present, corrective action can be taken in one's driving style (and dad won't feel offended if his son points out a mistake in his driving style).

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks