Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 528 45.17%
No 552 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.61%
Voters: 1169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 18:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Folks, slightly OT
In countries where there is no subsidy on diesel, why are diesels still popular, especially in the luxury segment (Mercs and Audis). Is it because of the torquy nature of diesels? There is certainly something more to diesel then low running cost.
Old 1st July 2010, 19:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Folks, slightly OT
In countries where there is no subsidy on diesel, why are diesels still popular, especially in the luxury segment (Mercs and Audis). Is it because of the torquy nature of diesels? There is certainly something more to diesel then low running cost.
I think they are only popular in Europe (definitely not in US). Folks prefer it due to the higher mileage as gas is not cheap in Europe (at par with India in most countries AFAIK).
Old 1st July 2010, 21:44   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Folks, slightly OT
One reason could be the engine. I remember seeing a BMW (forgot the model) in an US showroom where the SP told that the diesel version is more powerful than the petrol - to put it in his words "got more horses".
Old 1st July 2010, 21:50   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
One reason could be the engine. I remember seeing a BMW (forgot the model) in an US showroom where the SP told that the diesel version is more powerful than the petrol - to put it in his words "got more horses".
Was he talking about the 530d? Yes powerful diesels mated to Automatics can be very rewarding to drive. Those who has driven Audi A4 3.0Tdi and BMW 530d know it. For comparison the Audi 3.0 TDi is faster than 3.2TFSi variant.
Old 1st July 2010, 22:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Was he talking about the 530d? Yes powerful diesels mated to Automatics can be very rewarding to drive. Those who has driven Audi A4 3.0Tdi and BMW 530d know it. For comparison the Audi 3.0 TDi is faster than 3.2TFSi variant.
It is true even in case of 3 series (320D is substantially quicker then 320i).
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:42   #66
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Diesel for the torque
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:58   #67
BHPian

I voted yes.

IF I was interested in a Diesel for FE, it would still be more economical to own a diesel given the nature of diesel engines. Of course, I wouldn't blindly decide on a diesel (which was true even before the deregulation). The usage does matter.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:08   #68
BHPian

I voted yes too.

Economy is one thing, but more than that I am beginning to enjoy the feel of driving a diesel, especially on highway runs ( bought a diesel (i20 CRDi) recently). I had driven the premier 137D and earlier generation Indicas many years back, and the improvement in NVH and Performance the new gen CRD engines have brought in is amazing.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:31   #69
Senior - BHPian

I would buy a diesel car even if diesel was costlier than petrol. The joy of driving a diesel turbocharged car can never be matched by petrol cars.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:40   #70
BHPian

Turbo charged petrols in mainstream engines is still far away. So voted for Diesel, turbo charged. Simply love the torque.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:52   #71
BHPian

Yes!!

I would definitely give in a diesel. Especially when you see the diesels of some of the new models are performing better than their petrol siblings. (Figo, Polo, Swift..and the list is growing)
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:00   #72
BHPian

Dear Anshuman,

Very valid poll but still missing something to become unbiased. The missing clause is: "If the diesel car costs same as petrol car". I own a diesel car. Still I voted for petrol in your poll. Provided the sentence I mentioned is included to your poll I will defenitely vote for diesel only. I love the torque and the turbo kick a diesel gives. Driving with crdi is fun.

Thanks,
SANSI
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:23   #73
BHPian

I am struck struck struck

I booked a diesel car mid version, thinking of savings. Now with the de-regulation, i am feeling i should have gone with petrol top end version.

Also i was under the impression that diesel burns completely and pollutes less than petrol. Experts view please.

STILL voting for Diesel, as i feel more comfort in driving diesel car than a petrol

Last edited by classicselva : 2nd July 2010 at 13:24.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:26   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I would buy a diesel car even if diesel was costlier than petrol. The joy of driving a diesel turbocharged car can never be matched by petrol cars.
Get behind the wheel of a turbo charged petrol/or behind a non-turbo diesel for a fair comparison and all your performance parameters will jump out of the window.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:40   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Get behind the wheel of a turbo charged petrol/or behind a non-turbo diesel for a fair comparison and all your performance parameters will jump out of the window.
Agreed. But please get me a Turbo Charged Petrol under 6 or 7 lakhs with ~100 BHP - and I shall gladly get rid of my Getz CRDi
ph03n!x is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks