Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 13:49   #1
BHPian

Fiat India small car to take on Alto

Fiat India is gearing up to launch its small car in India by 2012. It will compete with the Alto and have a 1 litre engine.

Taken from Economic times
Fiat India small car to take on Alto-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Mods: Please merge this thread if a similar thread exists. I didnt come across any.
Old 30th June 2010, 14:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Whatever it is hope they dont launch it with the name Uno. It has already earned a bad reputation in India.
By the way 1L engine comes above the Alto category into the Spark, A Star range, dont think it will compete with Alto
Old 30th June 2010, 14:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon
By the way 1L engine comes above the Alto category into the Spark, A Star range, dont think it will compete with Alto
With rumours (hoping they come true) of 1litre K-series being plonked in the Alto, the Fiat car can compete with the Alto.
Old 30th June 2010, 14:48   #4
BHPian

The article says that it wont be named UNO and they are still deciding on the name. It will be competition to Alto as it will be priced similarly.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

My question will be why 2 more years & that too for a litre class engine? Why is Fiat India taking right decisions late instead of right time?
Old 30th June 2010, 20:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

I might be wrong, but -
Does 2012 coincide with the launch of a redesigned Fiat Panda for EU market? If so, then we can expect a face-lifted current generation Fiat Panda with a newly developed 1 litre engine. They can easily compete with an Alto on price if they bring an entire assembly line lock stock and barrel from Poland/Italy to India thus saving a lot on tooling & setup.

How else do you think Ford has managed to price the Figo so keenly? After all, it is a re-skinned previous generation EU Fiesta.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 30th June 2010 at 20:21.
Old 30th June 2010, 21:16   #7
BHPian

They will be wrong to pitch it against Alto IMHO. By 2012, Maruti will come up with a different offering and all others will be doing is playing catch-up. If they want to be capture volumes, they have to think boldly, not just call their products "bold drive". Large part will be played by a very very efficient A.S.S. I can't help but compare it with how printers are built cheap and huge earnings are made on cartridges/refills. Maruti has fine-tuned this art. Provide cheap, efficient cars and ensure every nook and corner of entire nation is covered to provide service.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

I dont get the point in Fiat doing this, if I were them.
I would first try to get a deep foothold on the segments that I am in. I mean push Punto to the hilt and get the Linea to its right engine propotions.
There is no point in getting to a deeper fight when you have not completed the primary war yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
How else do you think Ford has managed to price the Figo so keenly? After all, it is a re-skinned previous generation EU Fiesta.
At any given day, I would prefer a company which sells a re-skinned version to a company which still sells the old version of the car(without making any changes) along with the new car. In this case, read Maruti (800>Alto>Astar) Hyundai (Santro>i10).
Old 1st July 2010, 17:57   #9
BHPian

With the Palio gettinng phased out in BSIV cities , there is a gap in FIATs model line up in the 3-5L range. FIAT is very well aware how crucial the small car segment is in India.

Whatever the new model might be named The basic model "might" compete with an Alto, but it wont stop there. With the right features and engines FIAT will take this fight till the i10/Ritz/Swift range.

FIAT already has the widely used 1.1/1.2/1.4 ltr engines in petrol but the major advantage would be the 1.3 MJD in this segment.
Old 1st July 2010, 23:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
With the Palio gettinng phased out in BSIV cities , there is a gap in FIATs model line up in the 3-5L range. FIAT is very well aware how crucial the small car segment is in India.

Whatever the new model might be named The basic model "might" compete with an Alto, but it wont stop there. With the right features and engines FIAT will take this fight till the i10/Ritz/Swift range.

FIAT already has the widely used 1.1/1.2/1.4 ltr engines in petrol but the major advantage would be the 1.3 MJD in this segment.
That shouldn,t be the case anymore as Govt is Keen on doing away with diesel Subsidy and bringing Diesel Prices in Synch with international markets and going by PM's recent press statements , I expect that too happen any time in near future ...
Old 1st July 2010, 23:08   #11
BANNED

Alto is on its last legs of existence. Maruti is lucky that they could sell this contraption for this long in the country. The Alto might not even stay that long to compete with the Fiats new car.

Atleast we get to see some entry level cars from the Fiats.

Well, Best of luck Fiat.
Old 2nd July 2010, 02:05   #12
BHPian

Finally, it's good to see some competition for maruti's age old products. 800 --> Nano
Alto -->fiat,hyundai,GM, Tata
More than the Nano segment it is the alto segment which is getting flooded. Alto being it's largest seller, Maruti is expected to come with a better product. More the competition better it is for customer.

What about omni? Any competition here.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Alto is on its last legs of existence. Maruti is lucky that they could sell this contraption for this long in the country. The Alto might not even stay that long to compete with the Fiats new car.

Atleast we get to see some entry level cars from the Fiats.

Well, Best of luck Fiat.
A Decade old Alto with the Astar engine will kick the life out of any new Fiat. Just see what the Swift is doing to the Punto. I think Fiat is confused. To be a mass player, A** is crucial. Fiat should first try and consolidate its position in the existing Punto and Linea segments rather than proliferating without building the necessary capabilities. One thing they can do is to license Suzuki petrol engines for smaller cars. They may meet with some success
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think the current tie-up with Tata for Service is in-adequate if Fiat plans a small car. We would need workshops in every corner, like Maruti has. May be Fiat could tie-up with another Company just for the service of this small car?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 2nd July 2010 at 14:02.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
That shouldn,t be the case anymore as Govt is Keen on doing away with diesel Subsidy and bringing Diesel Prices in Synch with international markets and going by PM's recent press statements , I expect that too happen any time in near future ...
I agree with you but the person who clocks 1.5k + kms a month will go for the diesel irrespective of the price right.

At the moment diesel is priced lower than the petrol but still the people going for petrol are the ones who go as per their monthly requirememt or either they are petrolheads and vice-versa

Last edited by MihirC : 2nd July 2010 at 16:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks