Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 12:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

About time. Ikon would be sorely missed.
Old 1st July 2010, 16:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
I had been to chennai ford for booking an IKon tdci and they said it has been discontinued . The sales guy mentioned that the car has been stopped due to emission norms ... which i find it funny enough given that the Figo and Fiesta use the same engine . Can anyone else confirm if the car has been really discontinued ?
I ran into a Ford sales guy in my office lobby and I got the dope on the Ikon TDCi. The Ikon TDCi is still BS3 only and it was not upgraded to BS4. Therefore it cannot be registered in Chennai. But it can be registered in Chengelpet with a TN19/21 regn no. if you sign some affidavit for address proof. It will take approx. 40 days to source the car from the factory. Call MPL Ford, Teynampet and ask for Michael if you are interested. PM me if you want his number.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:20   #18
BHPian

Not fair on FORD's part, discontinuing a model which is doing decent sales in less than 2 years after giving a 3 year warranty ???

I feel decieved !
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:59   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
How can the same engine not meet emission norms in one car and meet them in another?
Most manufacturers have simply retuned the ECM and repositioned the catalytic converter to meet BSIV norms. Probably, since the Ikon is at the end of its product life cycle, Ford didn't think its worth the effort. Plus, with the new Fiesta around the corner, the Ikon just had to go.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

But if they got the Figo with the same engine running as BS-IV, how difficult would it be to do the same for the Ikon ? Even more so if the Fiesta is being continued till such time the new Fiesta comes in ?
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But if they got the Figo with the same engine running as BS-IV, how difficult would it be to do the same for the Ikon ? Even more so if the Fiesta is being continued till such time the new Fiesta comes in ?
They just added a diesel particulate filter and modified the cat con a little bit to make the Fiesta and Figo BS4 compliant. I don't know how much incremental cost this adds, but Ford has obviously decided it was not worth doing this in the Ikon.

Here is my guess. The vast majority of Ikon TDCi sales goes to fleet companies. These guys will no problem furnishing a BS3 address to register the car and then run it in a BS4 city. So sales is not impacted. Apparently the Ikon TDCi now has a substantial waiting list because Ford is able to deliver only 300-400 cars a month as opposed to a demand of 900-1000. Ikon and Fiesta production will go up only after the second shift starts at the plant.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Not fair on FORD's part, discontinuing a model which is doing decent sales in less than 2 years after giving a 3 year warranty ???

I feel decieved !
If this is the case, no car can be discontinued [They should offer zero warranty before they discontinue the product]

I hope they keep spare parts available for some more time since quite a few Ikons are on road...

Ikon had already become quite old - I remember Joker's dialog - ' Do you die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain'

PS: I have a Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI Nxt. Sad to see Ikon go off the market, but like all good things, Ikon should also come to the end! Let's welcome the new Fiesta!
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
If this is the case, no car can be discontinued [They should offer zero warranty before they discontinue the product]

Ikon had already become quite old - I remember Joker's dialog - ' Do you die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain'
I don't buy this BS4 BS !. Is Sumo Victa being discontinued ? They cannot be registered in Chennai. They are still doing great numbers.

I have a feeling that FORD took us for a ride to use up the IKON die limits and sell leftover petrol IKON's for the past 1.5 years in the guise of TDCi.

Never a FORD for me in the future !
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't buy this BS4 BS !. Is Sumo Victa being discontinued ? They cannot be registered in Chennai. They are still doing great numbers.

I have a feeling that FORD took us for a ride to use up the IKON die limits and sell leftover petrol IKON's for the past 1.5 years in the guise of TDCi.

Never a FORD for me in the future !
Who said the Ikon has been discontinued? It's very much on sale everywhere except in BS4 cities. Please read my earlier posts. Even a guy in Chennai can buy one if he's willing to get it registered in Chengelpet.
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Who said the Ikon has been discontinued? It's very much on sale everywhere except in BS4 cities. Please read my earlier posts. Even a guy in Chennai can buy one if he's willing to get it registered in Chengelpet.
Chill Gil ! The thread title says so and Chennai Ford has confirmed it. The workaround is to clear out the stocks. All IKON prouction lines has been moved to FIGO. June edition of 'What Car' does not have Ikon price listed under Ford Co.

Happy to be proved otherwise. Cheers.

Last edited by 2theMax : 2nd July 2010 at 17:57.
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chill Gil ! The thread title says so and Chennai Ford has confirmed it.
The thread title is asking if the Ikon has been discontinued and not stating it as a fact. And I have dealt with Chennai Ford salesmen before. They think the difference between a Fiesta 1.6 and a 1.6S is a spoiler.

Quote:
June edition of 'What Car' does not have Ikon price listed under Ford Co.
Check which city prices. If it's Mumbai or Delhi, the Ikon price can't be there because they are BS4 cities. The Ikon is still listed on the Ford website with Chandigarh prices since that's a BS3 city. All other models have Delhi prices.

Having said that, I doubt if the Ikon and Fiesta will be on sale a year from now after the launch of the All New Fiesta. They are not going anywhere until then.

Last edited by Gilead : 2nd July 2010 at 18:09.
Old 5th July 2010, 16:11   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, are we thinking from just one angle -- making way for the new Fiesta? I could think of one more option ! Ford is struggling to meet the demand for Figo -- probably it is giving more profit to them as well. So when you have a product which is not so great in sales [may be profits too] , they would rather stop the production of lesser sold product and use that to ramp up production of Figo! Also they learnt a hard lesson from Figo demand Vs supply when they didnt make enough pre-launch cars ! So will they try and make more cars and stock it before they launch the new Fiesta??!! Becasue I feel the new Fiesta might launch in Oct - Nov [Diwali time] and they have quite some time even if they want to continue production of Ikon -- i think stopping the production of a model a well 4 months advance is mere stupidity.

All these are just thoughts and it could be wrong as well -- just wanted to think from a new dimension... Please dontttt....

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th July 2010 at 16:15.
Old 5th July 2010, 16:25   #28
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Ford is struggling to meet the demand for Figo -- probably it is giving more profit to them as well. So when you have a product which is not so great in sales [may be profits too] , they would rather stop the production
Thats a very logical way to think though IMHO the Ikon will make Ford India more money - fully depreciated moulds etc. on a per unit basis, though it is obvious that since its not selling much, on an overall basis the Figo makes more money.
Old 6th July 2010, 09:51   #29
BHPian

One of my friends is really keen on the Ikon TDCI but seems that it cannot be registered in metros since its not BS4 compliant. What are the issues/complications if the car is registered in a different location ?
Old 6th July 2010, 11:36   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
One of my friends is really keen on the Ikon TDCI but seems that it cannot be registered in metros since its not BS4 compliant. What are the issues/complications if the car is registered in a different location ?
I am not sure how the dealers get around the address thingy, but i dont see why your friend should have problems once registered.

@2theMax : Looks like you are miffed the Ikon is being discontinued, since you bought one. However, it was almost public knowledge the Ikon was to be retired around 2010. Enjoy your car, and forget about matters like the model being discontinued. You shouldn't face any issues with parts availability. Even today, the Baleno is well-loved and has takers, despite being a discontinued model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks