Team-BHP - Ikon TDCI discontinued ? EDIT: Confirmed: Ford stops Ikon production
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Ikon TDCI discontinued ? EDIT: Confirmed: Ford stops Ikon production (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/84680-ikon-tdci-discontinued-edit-confirmed-ford-stops-ikon-production.html)

I had been to chennai ford for booking an IKon tdci and they said it has been discontinued . The sales guy mentioned that the car has been stopped due to emission norms ... which i find it funny enough given that the Figo and Fiesta use the same engine . Can anyone else confirm if the car has been really discontinued ?

Nothing such on the official site! I think the sales guy got confused with the petrol IKON!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatmana2000 (Post 1961049)
I had been to chennai ford for booking an IKon tdci and they said it has been discontinued . The sales guy mentioned that the car has been stopped due to emission norms ... which i find it funny enough given that the Figo and Fiesta use the same engine . Can anyone else confirm if the car has been really discontinued ?

Yes, a source working in Lathangi Ford confirmed this to me when I went there to help a friend take a buying decision on a Figo. This is because they were introducing the new Fiesta and did'nt want too many offerings in the same stable. Expect the Fiesta diesel prices to go down soon.His reason was just probably a rehearsed one, but this is what I heard from my source in the Ford dealer in Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmx1000 (Post 1961067)
Yes, a source working in Lathangi Ford confirmed this to me when I went there to help a friend take a buying decision on a Figo. This is because they were introducing the new Fiesta and did'nt want too many offerings in the same stable. Expect the Fiesta diesel prices to go down soon.His reason was just probably a rehearsed one, but this is what I heard from my source in the Ford dealer in Bangalore.

I want a tdci with a car which has a boot . the figo is excellent , but the fiesta is way too expensive . almost 3 lakhs difference btwn the figo and the fiesta . I am regretting my desicion to not have bought the Fiesta limited edition . That was certainly cheaper ..hmmmz

Well that's it, one of India's most iconic cars is off the roads. It truly was a beast. Check out Condor's Ikon, one of finest examples I have ever seen. End of an era indeed.

I doubt the veracity of this claim by the salesman to a great order! Two simple reasons,

1. While Ikon TDCi will have to eventually go away once the current Fiesta with 1.4 TDCi is priced downwards to make way for a newer variant with a bigger TDCi I do not think that Ford has fixed up the final plans to launch the new Fiesta here as yet. Till that is done I do not see the Ikon vanishing completely from the showrooms. Afterall Ikon still pulls in some decent numbers every month for Ford.

2. Ikon was recently given a new face. Now the petrol variant is already gone IIANM. If they wish to withdraw the diesel as well then it just won't make sense for them to have gone in for the new tool/diecasts etc for this new face. The reasoning says that the Ikon should stay around at least another 1.5 to 2 years from this date to have justified the launch of the new facelifted version.

Go and check with another dealership or better still write an email to Ford. They should reply back soon. I think the salesman confused the Ikon Flair with the TDCi.

I'll confirm tomorrow. But mostly it's the end of road.

How can the same engine not meet emission norms in one car and meet them in another?

Maybe still available in non-BS4 cities. Check website first.

Very likely the sales person is confused, like they often are :)

BS-III is still applicable in most places. So the Petrol & Diesel versions should both be in production. Ford may not be focussing much on the Ikon flair (if they still are actually producing it). The Ikon TDCi shares the same engine as the Figo, and hence does not need to be stopped.

I was also told last month that the Ikon is on the verge of being discontinued.

After Getz, this is the next great car to go off the market :(

Even if you somehow manage to get one of the last pieces, I would suggest stay away from it because the resale will be pathetic in a few years. Figo has a decent boot for a hatch, I suggest you go for it instead of the Ikon.

Isn't FIGO TDCi BSIV ? I don't think they are discontinuing Ikon due to norms. Looks more like gearing up for the all new fiesta launch by year end.

Fiesta will take place of Ikon and current Fiesta will be replaced by new gen Fiesta.

There goes the resale of my Fiesta. :Frustrati

Truth be told, the ikon is better taken off from the market. Its too old and there are better cars in the market. And if its to bring the new Fiesta, good for FORD.

One of my friends told me that the Ford in India has sold around 300 ikons for Jun dont think this would be the case. So he is saying this that there is no stoppage as yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish3 (Post 1961679)
There goes the resale of my Fiesta. :Frustrati

Truth be told, the ikon is better taken off from the market. Its too old and there are better cars in the market. And if its to bring the new Fiesta, good for FORD.

Actually, I drove the Ikon TDCI last night on one of the city's best twisties, it was an absolute blast, enough power, super tight handling, nice meaty steering wheel, at that price, its better than a swift for thrills.