Team-BHP - Merc starts selling pre-owned cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Merc starts selling pre-owned cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/84697-merc-starts-selling-pre-owned-cars.html)

Ready or not here I come !

BMW started the war with pricing; now Merc makes it more interesting by starting to sell pre-owned cars.

Merc starts selling pre-owned cars: Rediff.com Business

'experts said a 2003 SLK model driven for over 28,000 km could be bought for Rs 20 lakh, compared to Rs 48.4 lakh for a new one. Similarly, an E-Class of 2006 driven for 19,000 km could be bought for Rs 25 lakh against the fresh price of Rs 45.9 lakh.'

Saw it in the news on Zee Business yesterday. Mercs are selling for min 15Lakh and above as per the news for the models 6 years older. Good to know that Mercs are now in the used car business. Guess what prompted them to take the step, low new car business??

Looks like somebody at merc India read GTO's lateral upgrade thread ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo77 (Post 1961691)
Looks like somebody at merc India read GTO's lateral upgrade thread ;)

lol:

I just hope some company does justice both ways, give a good buyback price for sellers which is a big pain these days when you sell a car ! And give the buyer a good bargain. Obviously this means only one thing, low margins which is not something MBIL is happy with doing :p

this is really great. No more trying to find the "local" second hand car wala for branded cars. Its good step toward authentic pre-owned top class cars. Kudos Merc :)

Makes sense. Proivde a "cheaper" car for the aspirational who can't shell the price of a new car and then bleed them on ***.

This move is only to protect their brand and maintain the pre-owned market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirWind (Post 1962153)
This move is only to protect their brand and maintain the pre-owned market.

So very true.

In a free market where the manufacturer is not involved in the pre-owned business, the price and branding would depend so much upon the general perception & resale values etc.

What's so new about this news? Mercedes is doing it for years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 1962184)
What's so new about this news? Mercedes is doing it for years.

Exactly. I had even enquired about a pre-owned S Class for one of my friends dad from the Merc dealer over here about 2-3 years back.

The Mercedes Benz website always had the pre-owned cars section which listed pre owned cars available with dealers. So are they doing something different now?

I guess they must be now formalizing the process. While earlier the Merc dealers used to buy the used Mercs from owners who would come to them for upgrade within the Merc family and thus will be left with these cars for sale (pretty informal process) now it will be more like the Honda Auto Terrace or Maruti True value type of thing. Rather than the dealer one now will most probably deal directly with the company. Cars will be MBIL certified as per their approved methodology and also have some mileage warranty and 1 or 2 free service thrown in.

This is my understanding of the things. This is how most other manufacturers till date have proceeded with their used car distribution model. Similarly MBIL also is now most probably embarking on the second leg of this journey. Used cars are big business nowadays. By the way, as per the statistics Hyderabad is the country's largest pre-owned cars' market. It seems a overwhelming 54% cars on road here are used cars!

Even earlier the cars were MBIL certified. Not sure about the free services though. I have the same doubt as Devdath. What is different now?

Does anyone know what kind of deals/prices they are offering.

Guess they are going what other do; change parts if needed, certify it, give 6month-1yr warranty, add some service package?