Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 12:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

If you see carefully VW is the only company which has footprint in most of the segments either through self or through its subsidiaries. Now with Vento launch it will make it presence felt in one more segment.
Horror A.S.S stories are not deterring people from buying Skodas in scores. See the Laura and Superb figures.

Last edited by poloman : 7th July 2010 at 12:24.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:22   #92
BHPian

Thanks Karpusv.
Polo only 1527. This is almost the same figures from Apr`10, so no increase in production for Polo in the last 3 months
Surprised to see Maruti OMNI at 5971.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:31   #93
BHPian

Thanks Karpusv for the numbers.

Significant points:

Tata's performance has been a big positive. Nano with full fledged production now having begun has sprung up 7K odd nos which is superb.

i10 has managed to do 12K nos and be ahead of Wagon R which has only managed 9k. I guess the 1 week maintenance shut down at Maruti may have impacted some numbers for Maruti as the other models like Alto, Swift, Dzire have all seen dips from the earlier month. A star and Estilo are doing pretty decent numbers at 3.6k and 5.3K respectively. Estilo's performance since facelift has been on a steady rise.

Punto has finally managed to do some decent numbers. Hopefully with the 90HP version they should manage to touch 1.5K. Polo is now seeing a rise with the capacity constraints being managed better. Figo has been the star in this segment. Ever since its launch it has maintained a consistent figure of around 6k. However, it seems to have cannibalised Fiesta and ikon big time (not too good in terms of sales value).

Tata has also performed well in the sedan segment with Indigo range (CS+Manza) toppling Dzire as the segment leader. We will have to wait and watch over the next couple of months if this trend continues. Linea sees a dip, while City still easily leads the pack of cars above 8L. Guess the Vento may affect its sales. We will need to wait and watch.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

The new WagonR at 9084 units has brought in very good opening numbers. Though not at par with the sales numbers of the earlier model, considering the price increase, the lack of discounts, and the fact that the WR Vxi is priced similar to the Ritz Lxi and the Figo Exi, its doing very good numbers.

The AStar, surprisingly, has outsold both the Beat and the Spark. I feel AStar numbers are a letdown only when compared to the Maruti label, not otherwise. The Alto again is back to its glorious days, just shy of 20k units. Seems like the market did not mind the downgrading the Alto was subjected to, citing the BS IV norms.

The Indigo Manza + Indigo CS has outsold the Swift Dzire.

Last edited by longhorn : 7th July 2010 at 12:41.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:39   #95
BHPian

The Maruti nos for all its cars are much lower than the previous months.Might be due to the maintenance shutdown.Have to watch July figures to corroborate that.

VW need to increase production significantly.If you are launching a new hatchback and can only produce 1500 per month,then you are in serious trouble in terms of planning.Should have been more in the 4K region.

Figo is doing exceedingly well.With the 2nd shift starting,lets see whether it reaches close to the 8-9K mark.But to my utter surprise it has hit his fellow stable mates the most.The Fiesta with 600 odd units has suffered the most.More special editions on the way?You bet

Merc E class seem to be trumping BMW 5 series big time.Dont know why this is the case.Hasnt the new 5 series been launched in India?
Old 7th July 2010, 12:42   #96
BHPian

Thanks for the numbers.
Has anyone got an amalgamated spreadsheet with all the numbers from January - June 2010?
Old 7th July 2010, 12:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

Was shocked to see the Fiesta figures dropping below the 1K mark. The only solace to Ford is Figo is doing great,
Amby - 650; Beetles - 25; Octavia, L&K - 0. Are these figures for real.

As usual Mitsubishi's lagging way behind the segment leaders. Lack of proper marketing, no new lauches, no VFM products. It has to be down the rung.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:43   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Polo only 1527. This is almost the same figures from Apr`10, so no increase in production for Polo in the last 3 months
No dude. Polo numbers have been increasing every month!
March - 698
April - 901
May - 1314
June - 1527
Old 7th July 2010, 12:53   #99
BHPian

I think the biggest takes are -

1) Manza overtaking Dzire.
2) Cruze overtaking the likes of Civic and Altis.
3) Even Indica is treading close to Swift.
Old 7th July 2010, 13:02   #100
Senior - BHPian

look out the Fortuner!!!

Cant match it even if rest of the manufactures summed up together

And I am impressed with the Ambi sales. Is it still teh Govt babus buying? I doubt.
Old 7th July 2010, 14:03   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post

Yes, Tata and Maruti are fighting it out in the hatch and entry sedan segments.

Quote:
2) Cruze overtaking the likes of Civic and Altis.
Adding to that, Laura has overtaken Altis. Altis badly needs that diesel engine.
Old 7th July 2010, 14:41   #102
BHPian

Quote:
I think here manza is not overtaking, together the entite Indigo line is overtaking Dzire and same is the case with Indica it includs Indica V2 and Vista (including petrol varients will make them 4) where as in swift you have only 2 varients Petrol and Diesel.

Last edited by lalitk25 : 7th July 2010 at 14:48.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:07   #103
BHPian

Thanks Karpusv,

I updated the page with the Fiat model sales for the period January-June 2010 in India: Sales of Fiat cars in India

Unfortunately I can not find data from the entire Indian market, there is the excellent reports of Vasudeva?
Old 7th July 2010, 15:09   #104
BHPian

I cannot wait for the nano production to ramp up to full scale. I expect we will see the nano eating a big chunk out of the alto sales.

Meanwhile, it is interesting to see the ford figo doing so well, even better than the i20. Also, Polo overtaking punto must spell doom for fiat.

Big surprise in the C+ segment. The civic is a goner and really needs a replacement soon. It is interesting to see the jetta overtaking the civic. VW has really carved out a presence for itself in the indian market. But the biggest surprise is that the top selling C+ segment car is the cruze!! Expect things to change once the Corolla diesel is here. Laura also selling well. Looks like C+ segment is begging for more diesels.

Superb has completely eaten up the D segment. No surprises there.

The new CGI engines have done wonders for the merc. Overtaken the 3 series, even with the corporate edition 320d. Looks like merc has hit the jackpot.. selling more, at a higher price.

70 Audi A6's sold! Thats quite a lot. More than the 7 series and the S class combined. Somehow these A6's are nowhere to be seen.

Fortuner has completely taken over SUV Market. I dont think its that good. I'd rather have a captiva.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:17   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
I cannot wait for the nano production to ramp up to full scale. I expect we will see the nano eating a big chunk out of the alto sales.
The Nano productions is on in full swing since the beginning of June. Nano is currently available off the shelf - yes you read that right, no waiting period for the Nano as of now. According to June sales figures, the Alto has hardly taken a hit from the Nano. Let's wait and watch what happens in the coming months.

What I have observed so far is that a single car owner usually prefers to go for the M 800/ Alto /Spark rather than the Nano. The Nano is preferred by those who own at least one other car and want a car for city rides. I'm not saying this is the case 100%, but the trend so far is like this at least in Chennai. It may change now that the Nano is available off the shelf.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks