Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 15:21   #106
BHPian

Can someone tell me when Tata is doing so well, reaching number 2 spot and everything, why is Fiat still suffering? Look at the sales of Indica and Indigo compared to Punto and Linea. So it can't be just the question of A.S.S is it? Or don't people know Fiat's A.S.S is handled by Tata? Or is it something else like cost of spares of Fiat (which I believe is competitive these days) or availability of spares?

Figo doing great numbers right from the launch. Even VW Polo doing better than Punto now. And I'm not even talking about the products from Hyundai and Maruti which are supposed to have a great reputation in India. What is it that Fiat did in the past that people are not accepting their wonderful products like Punto and Linea?
Old 7th July 2010, 15:33   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The Nano productions is on in full swing since the beginning of June. Nano is currently available off the shelf - yes you read that right, no waiting period for the Nano as of now.
Wrong. Tata has not finished delivering the first 1 lakh customers who booked last year. But they are soon going to start the bookings for the next batch. But, it is not available off the shelf.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:41   #108
BHPian

I don't see the figures for TATA Manza. Did I miss it?

Murthy
Old 7th July 2010, 15:51   #109
mkh
Senior - BHPian

The second month of Figo numbers clearly established my point in the last month:
  • Figo has eaten sales of Fiesta and Ikon more than ANY competition. Swift is unfazed, so is the i20, which means that a buyer who wants to go in for an ikon is going for the Figo more than any other car buyer.
Clearly not that great a deal for ford as the numbers convey
  • Interesting to see the verna stand consistently at that 1500-1800 mark, lets see what the new model does to its sales( dont expect a lot of change)
  • Linea falls down, sub 1K now: None seems to care too, so its about 1K for the punto and linea looks like. Wonder if it can survive with the vento and etios coming in. I will not be surprised to see a lot of Linea buyers prefer the Vento if prices are matching
  • Indigo takes the lead: Finally! The tables are turned over the dezire, lets see for how long though. This segment has a new leader now, and a much awaited one. Manza is surely a VFM product.
  • Superb is really Superb!: Leads the segment by a huge margin( the others combined still fall short).Talk about a quality product,wonder what are the others thinking looking at these numbers.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Wrong. Tata has not finished delivering the first 1 lakh customers who booked last year. But they are soon going to start the bookings for the next batch. But, it is not available off the shelf.
Well i don't have the linky right now, but it was widely reported on the forum that the Nano is available off the shelf now that the Sanand plant is up and running in full steam.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

Sales of the luxury car segment is really interesting.
1. Even after launching the new F10 5-series, BMW managed to sell just 25 units!
2. The Q7 sells more than the cheaper Q5!
3. The LC Prado is the best selling luxury SUV this month. Seems like no one can beat Toyota when it comes to selling SUVs (read: Fortuner)
Old 7th July 2010, 16:08   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Observations from the sales numbers.

Nana production in full swing will only increase these numbers.

Alto still ruling the roost in its segment, however Hyundai is pretty close i10+santro. though Alto is bare bones compared to both the santro and i10.

Punto at 1,273/- not bad, after getting to below 1000 units in the last few months. Indica the closest competitor to Swift. Polo sales number at 1,527 is slowly and steadily increasing month on month. I20 doing very well at 5,366. HONDA, reduce another 50K see the sales increase by a few hundreds.

Indigo sales more than Dezire. Though the Indigo CS is clubbed with Manza, Does any body have the break up of the indigo sales.

Cruze the highest in the segment, but might not be for long as Altis diesel is on the way. Short lived rank no 1.

Superb is at 374 more than double that of Accord, speaks for the Value the Superb offers ignoring the horror stories of Skoda A.S.S

C Class > 3 Series, E Class > 5 Series; the S class and 7 - Series tied.

Bolero is the leader in its segment. Can some manufacturer bring out a worthy competitor to Bolero?

Innova doing consistently 4K+

Fortuner numbers are almost 5 fold more than the nearest competitor (Endeavour)

Land Cruiser segment leader. Land Cruiser Brand on work here.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:10   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun687 View Post
Can someone tell me when Tata is doing so well, reaching number 2 spot and everything, why is Fiat still suffering? Look at the sales of Indica and Indigo compared to Punto and Linea. So it can't be just the question of A.S.S is it? Or don't people know Fiat's A.S.S is handled by Tata? Or is it something else like cost of spares of Fiat (which I believe is competitive these days) or availability of spares?

Figo doing great numbers right from the launch. Even VW Polo doing better than Punto now. And I'm not even talking about the products from Hyundai and Maruti which are supposed to have a great reputation in India. What is it that Fiat did in the past that people are not accepting their wonderful products like Punto and Linea?
This is just due to the ill informed majority of India.. Leave aside metros, I dont think many people may even know that a model called Fiat Punto/Linea exists in the market. My parents still attribute Fiat to the cars that used to come out in early 80s. Fiats lack of proper advertisement needs to be blamed here..
Old 7th July 2010, 16:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Figo has eaten sales of Fiesta and Ikon more than ANY competition. Swift is unfazed, so is the i20, which means that a buyer who wants to go in for an ikon is going for the Figo more than any other car buyer.
There is a 4-6 weeks waiting period in Chennai for the Fiesta is the car is not already in the yard. So maybe a bulk of the production resources have been diverted to the Figo? Not sure, but it does seem to make sense.

The Ikon is not on sale in BS4 cities any more, so it's sales are bound to take a hit. And there is a 6 weeks waiting period for the Ikon as well.

But both cars are probably in their last year of production, so maybe the launch of the new Fiesta would turn things around.

Quote:
What I have observed so far is that a single car owner usually prefers to go for the M 800/ Alto /Spark rather than the Nano. The Nano is preferred by those who own at least one other car and want a car for city rides. I'm not saying this is the case 100%, but the trend so far is like this at least in Chennai. It may change now that the Nano is available off the shelf.
This is what I have observed as well. It's especially popular with moms to pick up kids from school. In the long term (after the first 1L cars are delivered), I don't see the Nano matching the 20K+ sales level of the Altos and the old M800s.

Quote:
Well i don't have the linky right now, but it was widely reported on the forum that the Nano is available off the shelf now that the Sanand plant is up and running in full steam.
The information is incorrect. Where is the question of Nano being available off the shelf when even the first 1L bookings have not been delivered yet. It's available off the shelf only when there is a cancelation.

Last edited by Gilead : 7th July 2010 at 16:25.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:24   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The information is incorrect. Where is the question of Nano being available off the shelf when even the first 1L bookings have not been delivered yet. It's available off the shelf only when there is a cancelation.

Quote from ET:
"The Nano will be available off-the shelf, once full stream production starts at Sanand, in Gujarat."

I just about managed to fish out that linky. Kindly refer the first paragraph of the quote from ET.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1951560

They say the price hike will come into effect from Aug/Sep 2010 which means the first one lakh deliveries should happen before that.

Last edited by longhorn : 7th July 2010 at 16:31.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:24   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
[*]Figo has eaten sales of Fiesta and Ikon more than ANY competition. Swift is unfazed, so is the i20, which means that a buyer who wants to go in for an ikon is going for the Figo more than any other car buyer.[/list]
+1. Ford better bring new Fiesta. 600 Fiesta's a month is just too painful.

SX4 cuts a pathetic figure ~1100 odd cars. Its glaringly obvious this car's a big failure for Maruti (ok, maybe not as bad a failure as Baleno which it replaced ).

i20 comfortably beats Ritz!

Toyota rocks! Triple bonanza with LC ousting segment leader Q7 in the luxury SUV segment. Altis is not the segment leader anymore, but i am sure Toyota will be only limited the delivery capability when it launches the diesel.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:28   #117
h14
BHPian

FIAT's stock clearance sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
1 lakh discount was/is on for Palio (1.1, 1.3) mind you these are BS-III engines. Basically that brought Palio to the price levels of Indica-Xeta, Indica-Diesel. I guess this was tried to see if the discount helps pick-up the demand.

Fiat Numbers are steady around 2K marks. Considering above discount on Palio,

should we draw a conclusion that there are no takers for Palio 1.1 and 1.3MJD at 3lakh and 3.75 ex-showroom?

or

Palio demand picked up, but, there is a drop in Linea or Punto numbers?

Can someone share break-up by model for Fiat?

The discounts are indeed for the Palio. I grabbed 2 2008 manufactured Palio 1.3 MJD for 3,66,600/- on-road with free insurance (cheaper than my Spark LPG ). In fact there were about 48 odd cars that were sold in this offer. More details are in here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-3.html

Please check Posts 40 and 42 in there.

Since all the stocks are now cleared, FIAT is offering the Palio 1.3 SDX at 3.89 Ex-showroom with free insurance. The car is made on order with a waiting period of 45 days.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:29   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
3. The LC Prado is the best selling luxury SUV this month. Seems like no one can beat Toyota when it comes to selling SUVs (read: Fortuner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
.....Land Cruiser segment leader. Land Cruiser Brand on work here.
LC Prado was launched in December last year. However, many people placed orders only after seeing the vehicle in flesh at the Delhi Auto Expo and the subsequent Toyota Q World (Exhibtions) in various cities.

It is heard that Toyota wanted to provide only 2010 manufactured Prado's to customers. Hence, The first shipped batch reached here sometime in March and deliveries started thereafter. The sales figures therefore MIGHT be due to the staggered deilvery pattern (owing to staggered shipping quantities).

I think so.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:31   #119
BHPian

@mkh Actually it's a big deal for Ford in the sense that Fiesta + ikon number was in the range of 2500. But now Figo + Fiesta + Ikon is in the region of 7500 consistently. That's a cool gain of 5000 cars per month which is substantial.

Swift numbers are going to be unfazed since Maruti has around 800 dealerships all over india. i20 diesel actually is a bit of sales dud. It's quite possible that the diesel numbers of i20 might have been better before Figo came on the scene.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:33   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote from ET:
"The Nano will be available off-the shelf, once full stream production starts at Sanand, in Gujarat."

I just about managed to fish out that linky. Kindly refer the first paragraph of the quote from ET.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1951560
Thanks, but the key line to note in the article is this.

Quote:
As for the next phase of deliveries, Tata Motors will make appropriate announcements in due course of time.
If it was available off the shelf, they would have said so. We just have to assume full production has not started in the plant yet. Anyway, you can call any Tata dealer to verify this. The car is definitely not available off the shelf.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks