Team-BHP - Delhi world’s fifth worst city for commuters
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Delhi world’s fifth worst city for commuters (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/84747-delhi-world-s-fifth-worst-city-commuters.html)

News from The Hindu of today.

Ahead of the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, a new study has ranked the national capital fifth among 20 cities of the world where traffic is nightmarish, adversely affecting people’s heath and productivity.

New Delhi, which will receive thousands of athletes and foreign tourists during the mega sporting event, scored 81 out of 100 in IBM’s ‘Commuter Pain Study’, reflecting its failure to keep the transportation infrastructure at pace with economic activity.

More info here: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...icle495242.ece

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoverwild (Post 1962925)
News from The Hindu of today.

Ahead of the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, a new study has ranked the national capital fifth among 20 cities of the world where traffic is nightmarish, adversely affecting people’s heath and productivity.

New Delhi, which will receive thousands of athletes and foreign tourists during the mega sporting event, scored 81 out of 100 in IBM’s ‘Commuter Pain Study’, reflecting its failure to keep the transportation infrastructure at pace with economic activity.

More info here: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...icle495242.ece

That's a shame. To be honest, Delhi has invested more than any other city on public transport, and still it's this bad. There are times when the sheer numbers (population) makes it nearly impossible to do anything.

Quite surprising as I always found Bangalore traffic more nightmarish than Delhi. In Delhi at least you get to see straight and broad roads within the city where the traffic actually 'moves' with the occasional traffic jams. In Bangalore I rarely cross 40kmph within the city.
P.S : I feel Bangalore traffic is a bit more disciplined and patient when stuck in a jam compared to Delhi.

Why haven't they studied Mumbai or Kolkata. both these cities too face similar problems.

Guys, why pull alone individual cities when the cancer of indiscipline traffic has infected the entire country. I felt ashamed of myself two years ago on hearing just 2 simple statistics. There was some guy who visited both China & India as part of emerging market leaders in Asia from US. He first visited Delhi & flew to Beijing. Just 2 points I cannot forget
1. He compared the railway stations of both the capitals
2. He compared the traffic sense on both the capitals

I leave the results of comparisons to your imaginations, but I felt the comparison was very much justified.

Very true.

My dad was there last month, and he swears by the traffic sense at the Capital.

I thought Hyderabad is the worst untill now, need to visit Delhi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amartya (Post 1962942)
That's a shame. To be honest, Delhi has invested more than any other city on public transport, and still it's this bad.

The investment is probably better than the other Indian cities but no where near the required amount. People travel in Metro's like the Jews were made to during the Holocaust. There are often arguments between passengers for space which makes the journey more stressful than convenient. People would still prefer their own car instead of the Metro during office rush hours.

Quote:

There are times when the sheer numbers (population) makes it nearly impossible to do anything.

I think Tokyo and London would have more population but the transport situation is still a lot better.

I've not been to Kolkata but amongst the other big cities I've been to in India (Chennai, Bengaluru, Mumbai, New Delhi), I definitely felt that New Delhi had the best roads. Flat and broad. I don't know how it's now but it was definitely pretty good in the recent past. In fact seeing that poll, I'm happy that we're not first on that list.

5th and all is a little too much. I bet Bangalore, Mumbai and Kolkotta are not too behind too. What did they rank ? 6th, 7th and 8th ?

Lolz,thats nothing new all the metro cities face the same problem and we are a part of this as a machine :D

Skim through "How to lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff and then you realize how such intangible surveys are nothing but BS.

The moment you see the title of a study as "Commuter Pain Study" you should realize the people who did it were having a fun day at work and suddenly decided, "Guys, what say we do this. It gonna be kicka - -"

Traffic in Indian metros is a pain. Bangalore is worse then Bombay and Delhi. But it is not fair to compare Beijing traffic with Bangalore traffic. The number of variables change drastically - to mention a few, the living standards, the average household income, the preferred mode of transportation, infrastructure, mentality of the people, average working hours, et cetera.

For me going from Koramangala (Bangalore) to MG Road in an air conditioned Volvo in peak traffic is a welcome relief than drivingmy own car, but going from Auburn Hills (Michigan, US) to downtown Detroit using public transport even at off peak hours is a nightmare.

Quote:

That's a shame. To be honest, Delhi has invested more than any other city on public transport, and still it's this bad. There are times when the sheer numbers (population) makes it nearly impossible to do anything.

Ah!!! C'mon, we all know where & how these investments are made & done. But I agree cent percent with you on population front. Its extremely difficult to control the thoughts of billion brains & add to the movies showcasing the stunts to be imitated by the spoiled rich & the frustrated poor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooney (Post 1963153)
Skim through "How to lie with Statistics" by Darrell Huff and then you realize how such intangible surveys are nothing but BS.

The moment you see the title of a study as "Commuter Pain Study" you should realize the people who did it were having a fun day at work and suddenly decided, "Guys, what say we do this. It gonna be kicka - -"

Traffic in Indian metros is a pain. Bangalore is worse then Bombay and Delhi. But it is not fair to compare Beijing traffic with Bangalore traffic. The number of variables change drastically - to mention a few, the living standards, the average household income, the preferred mode of transportation, infrastructure, mentality of the people, average working hours, et cetera.

For me going from Koramangala (Bangalore) to MG Road in an air conditioned Volvo in peak traffic is a welcome relief than drivingmy own car, but going from Auburn Hills (Michigan, US) to downtown Detroit using public transport even at off peak hours is a nightmare.

Fantastic post. Would definitely agree with the statements in the last paragraph. Also, in the west, the cities were designed around automobiles, something we cannot do due to a multitude of reasons.

Actually, City-by-City, (ie, if Beijing was a country), it is classified ahead of the entire nation of which people in our country are always stuck up with, the US.
Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1963074)
Guys, why pull alone individual cities when the cancer of indiscipline traffic has infected the entire country. I felt ashamed of myself two years ago on hearing just 2 simple statistics. There was some guy who visited both China & India as part of emerging market leaders in Asia from US. He first visited Delhi & flew to Beijing. Just 2 points I cannot forget
1. He compared the railway stations of both the capitals
2. He compared the traffic sense on both the capitals

I leave the results of comparisons to your imaginations, but I felt the comparison was very much justified.

From what i know, they dont have caste system or marriages either.

The point of comparing Delhi to Beijing was that both the countries India & China are considered emerging markets, if China's growth is ranked #1, India is #2, both are considered super powers atleast in Asia & that's the reason both the country's capital's were compared.

Right after Indian independence we were far ahead of China & they'd just caught up the growth in last 30-40 decades or so.

Quote:

For me going from Koramangala (Bangalore) to MG Road in an air conditioned Volvo in peak traffic is a welcome relief than drivingmy own car, but going from Auburn Hills (Michigan, US) to downtown Detroit using public transport even at off peak hours is a nightmare
Provided one doesn't reach downtown Detroit in the odd hours. Going a little OT - but again comparing Bangalore to Detroit is different from comparing any north eastern state to Detroit; its the same case here too except that you find more traditional weapons here.

Whether anyone wants to agree or not, it is very much evident that, we're light years behind catching up road sense.