Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Considering Spike works in the M&M factory, I think we can take his word over the media. Also, I think he knows more about production than any of us.
+1 to that.

i would give Spike the benefit of doubt and believe what he has to say rather than some dealer salesman

My 2 paisa
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:58   #17
BHPian

What about the info I received from M&M's Regional sales head then?

If the vehicles are in production then what's or who's stopping them to deliver these to the customers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
+1 to that.

i would give Spike the benefit of doubt and believe what he has to say rather than some dealer salesman

My 2 paisa
Waiting for SPIKE's inputs.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It is possible that new orders are not being taken. That doesn't mean that current orders are not in production. Maybe they have run out of certain components. So I think Spike is right in the sense that vehicles are being produced with current stock of parts but new orders cannot be taken until further parts are supplied.

The Australian company that developed the automatic for Mahindra has gone bust and the company was acquired by Geely automotive. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.
Old 3rd July 2010, 13:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
It is possible that new orders are not being taken. That doesn't mean that current orders are not in production. Maybe they have run out of certain components. So I think Spike is right in the sense that vehicles are being produced with current stock of parts but new orders cannot be taken until further parts are supplied.

The Australian company that developed the automatic for Mahindra has gone bust and the company was acquired by Geely automotive. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.
Its AVL of Austria, not Australia. But, I never heard this AVL-Geely news before.
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Its AVL of Austria, not Australia. But, I never heard this AVL-Geely news before.
The AT gearbox in the Scorpio AT was sourced from Drivetrain Systems, Australia, which was later taken over by Geely China. This information can be verified here and here.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd July 2010 at 21:59.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:27   #21
BHPian

I have booked a VLX-AT 3 weeks back and have been told Aug end as the delivery date. I speak to the Dealer - SKS Automobiles almost on weekly basis and have not got any information on Production being stopped. Infact i spoke to him last Thursday and they still maintained that the vehicle is in production. Let me call him up tomorrow and get his comments.

Like what others have said - it may be no future bookings till the production begins again. Thats leads me to a bit of nervousness - is there any issue with the Scorpio AT that M&M are not coming forward with.

Will wait and watch on more information from Spike.

Cheers
-Rajesh
Old 6th July 2010, 11:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
thats really surprising, hope its temporary and production resumes soon.

Also the mail received by live2drive confirms the news to a small extent.

Samurai: I dont think there is any media report here, its news from dealer who didn't book the vehicle.

Spike: awaiting confirmation from your end
Sorry to hear this news that they have stopped production of AT temporarily and I know it would give you anxiety given the fact that you have been waiting since long waiting for the right moment to book. Though you may have still not booked but availability gives a different assurance.
If I read correctly, the email from M&M says AT2wd - please, find out whether AT4WD would be available.

Eagerly awaiting your confirmation for having booked your dream vehicle.
Old 6th July 2010, 17:01   #23
BHPian

I discussed with SKS Automobiles today and as what they say - "One of M&M's supplier's has an issue in supply of parts hence new production will be delayed. Orders that have already been booked will be fulfilled as per the promised time."

So i'm still hopeful to get mine before Aug end.

Cheers
-Rajesh
Old 8th July 2010, 14:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Update on Scorpio AT Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
+1 to that.

My 2 paisa
Thanks Ani, at least some people believe in what I say

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Waiting for SPIKE's inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbaliga View Post
Will wait and watch on more information from Spike.
Seeing the kind of response from all you guys, I decided to give a visit to the assembly line (I am not a manufacturing guy as someone stated earlier).

Just met the PPC (Production Planning and Control) guys, today 10 vehicles (Automatic-VLX) are being rolled down for domestic. Vehicles will be scheduled depending on the nature of demand. Hope this brings a smile on all your faces.

Spike

PS- I am a R&D Engineer.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Just met the PPC (Production Planning and Control) guys, today 10 vehicles (Automatic-VLX) are being rolled down for domestic. Vehicles will be scheduled depending on the nature of demand. Hope this brings a smile on all your faces.

Spike

PS- I am a R&D Engineer.
so it means the vehicle is pretty much in production, wonder why the dealers are not booking the vehicle then ! (as Ananth says)

Last edited by tanwaramit : 8th July 2010 at 15:09.
Old 7th August 2010, 01:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
so it means the vehicle is pretty much in production, wonder why the dealers are not booking the vehicle then ! (as Ananth says)
Now here's speculation for you:

Were they waiting for the new set of automatic gearboxes from MtM. They seem to have changed suppliers to go to the US.

Australian MtM Begins Supply of Automatic Gearbox Shifters to M&M

Also, look at the gearbox itself
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio Automatic Production Stopped *temporarily*?-mtm-automatic-gearbox.jpg  

Old 7th August 2010, 04:35   #27
KMT
BHPian

This is indeed interesting, MtM is not as well non as Drivetrain that supplies the current 6 speeder. I wonder wh they chose these guys.

I wonder if we will see it in the AT scorpio or the new Mahindra SUV.

Slightly OT-From what I understand the Scorpios delay into US is largely caused by its 2 star crash test safety rating.
Old 8th August 2010, 15:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

I think now that M&Ms US plans have gone belly up, they struggled to pass the earlier NHTSA tests and the new regulations are even more stricter, it seems pointless for the company to make the Autos in such limited nos.

The new SUV will definitely have such a variant but the box might be different. With the scoops received so far it seems this car uses a 5 pot diesel which points in the direction of the Ssang Yong engine used in the Axe military concept. Especially now that M&M is thinking of buying this struggling Korean co. why not use the same suppliers.

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd October 2010 at 01:45. Reason: pls watch your language
Old 8th August 2010, 15:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Are AT shifters a part of some component of transmission, or Is it the complete gearbox? I feel its just a component.
Old 8th August 2010, 15:58   #30
KMT
BHPian

It is the complete gearbox from the bell housing onwards that will be different.
In addition, the state of tune (ecu) settings of the engine are different, not to mention the interior (clutch pedal, centre console, dashboard design etc).
For someone like M&M who are new to Automatic transmissions, there is quite a lot of development work they would have done to prepare the Scorp for AT.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed