Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:35   #1
BHPian

Scorpio Automatic Production Stopped *temporarily*?

I just got off the phone with CAI at CBE. I was trying to help one of my Managers get a Scorpio Automatic. They tell us that M&M has stopped production of Scorpio Automatic until September 2010. Does anyone know what is cooking?

Old 2nd July 2010, 16:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is not correct, I have seen Automatic Scorpios tagged as RFD (Ready For Dispatch), all were RHD.

Spike
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:18   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
I just got off the phone with CAI at CBE. I was trying to help one of my Managers get a Scorpio Automatic. They tell us that M&M has stopped production of Scorpio Automatic until September 2010. Does anyone know what is cooking?

Wonder why, I thought Diesel Automatics that too in the SUV was a boon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
This is not correct, I have seen Automatic Scorpios tagged as RFD (Ready For Dispatch), all were RHD.

Spike
The difference between Production halt and RFD are entirely opposite.

Lets wait for some concrete reports from the media.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Apart from it, I was finding every other Scorpio an Automatic one these days. I thought it was picking up.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He's referring to stoppage of production, not despatch of vehicles which are already manufactured.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Most likely they discovered a serious design defect which would need a couple of months to sort out internally first and then at the vendor level. Or maybe they need the additional capacity to make the THAR!
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
He's referring to stoppage of production, not despatch of vehicles which are already manufactured.
Pavan, Suman I know the difference between Production halt and RFD. Luckily, I happen to see (and also drive a few) of these vehicles being produced every other day. Moreover, once the vehicle is produced there is a time shelf for which it remains inside the factory premises after that it has to leave. If you want I can again go to the assembly line and find out if such vehicles are being rolled out. But I am damn sure!

Spike
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Pavan, Suman I know the difference between Production halt and RFD. Luckily, I happen to see (and also drive a few) of these vehicles being produced every other day. Moreover, once the vehicle is produced there is a time shelf for which it remains inside the factory premises after that it has to leave. If you want I can again go to the assembly line and find out if such vehicles are being rolled out. But I am damn sure!

Spike
Spike,

It does sound like you are the insider on the production floor.

Is it possible that M&M has asked dealers to stop booking for some months until a refresh or whatever is put out and what is on the assembly line is the older orders?
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

They might be doing stock clearance at the factory before they want to produce new vehicles.
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

@ananth : can you be more specific? Have "they" told you that an Automatic Scorpio can not be booked? Or it was just a piece of info "they" were giving you to dissuade/persuade you from booking the vehicle. If the vehicles are available for RFD like people brought out here then I dont think there would be any problem in booking.

This situation could be an outcome of overproduction. Possibly, they want to wait till stock clears.
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

I guess this should be true as I don't get to see too many automatics on the road. Probably, M&M would've decided to stop their production due to lack of sales.
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:43   #12
BHPian

Real deal

I had booked a VLX AT on 23rd April this year with delivery time of about 4-6 weeks. There were lot of delays in the delivery with the dealer giving not so convincing excuses. Got in touch with M&M's regional sales head who had to say the scorpio at production is temporarily halted due to unavailability of certain parts which are sourced from elsewhere.

Quote:

To: ********@yahoo.co.in
Cc: CUSTOMERCARE@mahindra.com; *****.***@mahindra.com
Sent: Fri, 28 May, 2010 1:32:27 PM
Subject: FW: 6006 RE: Scorpio VLX Automatic booking at Koncept Auto, Noida

Dear Mr. Gupta,

I have checked the status of this order & sincerely regret for delay in execution.

I would like to update that there is a delay on availability of specific parts for Scorpio-2WD-Auto Transmission – BS4 vehicles. These are imported parts & our best estimate is to get this model rolled out by Ist week of July’10. It should be available for delivery by 2-3rd week of July’10 at Delhi .

I know you’ve other options & appreciate your choosing to opt for Scorpio. While I may not be able to reduce the delay, I am sure you’ll be happy once you receive your vehicle.

With best wishes,

Regional Manager

But he did'nt promise a certain date for the delivery of my vehicle. Gave up in the end and cancelled the booking.
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
@ananth : can you be more specific? Have "they" told you that an Automatic Scorpio can not be booked? Or it was just a piece of info "they" were giving you to dissuade/persuade you from booking the vehicle. If the vehicles are available for RFD like people brought out here then I dont think there would be any problem in booking.

This situation could be an outcome of overproduction. Possibly, they want to wait till stock clears.
Firstly, I already have a Scorpio Automatic and I was trying to help one of my friends get one. CAI, CBE actually refers people wanting to buy a Scorpio Automatic in CBE to me for feedback. So, it was not a case of a dealer trying to dissuade. They mentioned specifically that they could not take orders now as production was being stopped until Sept 2010.

Secondly, M&M only produces an Automatic after the order has been placed. So, all the ones on the line will be for firm orders placed by dealers. There is no stocking of the Scorpio Automatic.
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Lets wait for some concrete reports from the media.
Considering Spike works in the M&M factory, I think we can take his word over the media. Also, I think he knows more about production than any of us.
Old 3rd July 2010, 09:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

thats really surprising, hope its temporary and production resumes soon.

Also the mail received by live2drive confirms the news to a small extent.

Samurai: I dont think there is any media report here, its news from dealer who didn't book the vehicle.

Spike: awaiting confirmation from your end

Last edited by tanwaramit : 3rd July 2010 at 09:06.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks