Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 22:15   #16
BANNED

I owned a Zen AT from 1999 to 2005 (it was a 1997 model) and now have a Santro AT (2005) as well as a Civic AT. The latter is a different kettle of fish altogether. I must say Hyundai has Maruti beaten hollow in the AT stakes. They will have to really pull up their socks if they are to make any impact whatsoever.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

A-Star is a horribly overpriced and cramped car. It can come with a 6 speed AT for all you care, wont do anything for Maruti. When i was looking at a small car, the Maruti salesman was desperately trying to sell it with a discount of 50K. Even with a cash discount of 50K, its overpriced.

If it really has to sell, they have to sell it a notch above Alto prices. It is a replacement for Alto.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

AT option in a car which is touted as an enthusiast's car ? What's wrong with Maruti ?

IMHO, AT option makes more sense in commuter cars like Estilo, WagonR and Ritz rather than in sporty cars like A-Star and Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Maybe Maruti is playing a very smart game. Enter with a bad AT in the not so VFM car. People will forget it was Maruti. Instead everyone will perceive AT as the thing that was bad.

Kill Hyundai's AT options by just using perception.

Do I get 10 points for an original conspiracy theory?
Well, my guess would be that Maruti is trying a last ditch effort of offering AT in A-Star before phasing it out. So that AT option can be made the scapegoat for low sales of A-Star. High cost and low FE would be declared as the reasons for low sales, then it would be finally phased out. Nobody would care that it was a bad design.

There is no way that A-Star AT could pose a threat to i10 AT. Note that i10 provides the AT option only in kappa variants. Hyundai's kappa engine is a better performer than Maruti's 3 cylinder K-series engine.

Maruti's thought process (if any) is completely wrong on this one.

AT buyers don't care about high price or low FE. They are looking for quality and convenience. That is the reason for i10 AT's success. Maruti's USP of low cost and cheap maintenance doesn't matter for an AT buyer.

Rohan
Old 7th July 2010, 11:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
AT option in a car which is touted as an enthusiast's car ? What's wrong with Maruti ?

IMHO, AT option makes more sense in commuter cars like Estilo, WagonR and Ritz rather than in sporty cars like A-Star and Swift.
Then maybe even BMW should stop fitting AT boxes in their cars as well

Last edited by Daewood : 7th July 2010 at 11:30.
Old 7th July 2010, 11:39   #20
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it is a good move - They should also remove the two rear doors, make the front doors bigger, and make the rear seats smaller (kids only) and we have a funkly second lifestyle vehicle for taking the kids to school.

Ala - Zen Classic

Actually the A-Sar better was better suited to be the Zen replacement compared to the Zen Estillo. In dimentions its the right size.

Last edited by ACM : 7th July 2010 at 11:40.
Old 7th July 2010, 13:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
A-Star is a horribly overpriced and cramped car. It can come with a 6 speed AT for all you care, wont do anything for Maruti.
The Indian A-Star which is sold as the the Suzuki Celerio in the UAE comes with a 4-speed AT, so most likely the Indian version will also sport the same transmission.
Old 7th July 2010, 13:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

A-Star is too young to be phased out. AT is a welcome change, but as others have pointed out, it is too cramped to include the AT.
Old 7th July 2010, 14:05   #23
BHPian

I think it is good that the A-Star is getting auto transmission, in fact I think that all cars should have the option of automatic transmission.

I dont see what the connection is between cramped space and auto transmission - people who are not going to buy it because of the cramped space will anyway not buy it in whichever form, of those who are ok with the space, perhaps a few more will get attracted to it.

Actually the front seat space is fine, and if the auto is properly geared it can be a great city car for couples or single people.
Old 7th July 2010, 22:37   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I feel this is a good move. For many young couples with kids, A-Start is a good starter car. Besides, we need more competition in the compact automatic space. I wish they will follow up with a Wagon-R AT. This is where they can cause a dent in i10 AT sales..
Old 7th July 2010, 22:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

That would be good news for many.

I have been having collegues who are on look-out for cars for wife with AT version. I am sure they will give this option a shot.

Off Topic:
I seriously do not belive the ladies should drive AT, I mean we are at an age when they can manage planes. Not sure why people assume they cant change gears.
Esp. with the gear box getting buttery everyday. Can someone explain.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

I am fond of A-Star's looks. Wonder how people dislike it. It looks much much better than i10. Not sure of its 3-pot engine though. AT is a great relief these days on our inner city roads. But will this small petrol engine be able to cope with AT? As it is, petrol engines have lower torque. Add to this the fact that AT requires more torque to get the car moving. If it is too undepowered, then you will have to press the accelerator and wait for considerable time before the engine catches up with you. Then it will be very frustrating to drive on city roads which call for aim and shoot driving, to fill the gaps in traffic. I drove lot of petrol AT cars--- Cielo, Zen, Santro, City but found them wanting compared to their MT versions.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:18   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I am fond of A-Star's looks. Wonder how people dislike it. It looks much much better than i10. Not sure of its 3-pot engine though. AT is a great relief these days on our inner city roads. But will this small petrol engine be able to cope with AT? As it is, petrol engines have lower torque. Add to this the fact that AT requires more torque to get the car moving. If it is too undepowered, then you will have to press the accelerator and wait for considerable time before the engine catches up with you. Then it will be very frustrating to drive on city roads which call for aim and shoot driving, to fill the gaps in traffic. I drove lot of petrol AT cars--- Cielo, Zen, Santro, City but found them wanting compared to their MT versions.
You must be joking.

People dislike A-Star only because its crampy. C'mon...! i never knew why such a HUGE dashboard.

A-Star AT will sell well only if its priced between 4 to 4.50 lacs, else i-10 takes the cake.

Lets see what price wars Maruti's play.

Anyways, since VW has 20% stakes in Maruti's , we can expect much better packaged cars in the country soon.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow. if they are actually doing this then they are finally listening to us, the i10 AT has been doing very good business (I see so many of them on the road). I hope a Swift AT is also launched. That makes even more sense.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:59   #29
BHPian

I own a i10 at and like the a star better and would love too echange the car.I cannot stand the i10 beige interior and the a star is more sporty.Bring it on....
Old 8th July 2010, 00:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuja365 View Post
I own a i10 at and like the a star better and would love too echange the car.I cannot stand the i10 beige interior and the a star is more sporty.Bring it on....
I really admire your honesty. You actually not so much like a car you own. People like you are a rare commodity these days. I have seen people go to ridiculous lengths to brag about cars they own. Hats off to you, Ahuja!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks