Team-BHP - Excellence Award for TATA Motors !!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Excellence Award for TATA Motors !! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/8556-excellence-award-tata-motors.html)

So even as we discuss about taking TATA to task for that lemon Sumo Victa, what do I hear? TATA Motors getting a "business excellence award". Wonder if the jury knew how TATA manged to "excel" !!

Read the full story here...
http://in.news.yahoo.com/051110/43/60z44.html

Cheers

they got the award for their commercial vehicles business unit (CVBU) not the passenger car unit.

"CII Institute of Quality," gave them award !!!! who is CII ???? anyone heared of them ?

max , man its the confendration of indian industries.
one of the representing bodies of our industries & its a powerful group.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalluDude
So even as we discuss about taking TATA to task for that lemon Sumo Victa, what do I hear? TATA Motors getting a "business excellence award". Wonder if the jury knew how TATA manged to "excel" !!

Read the full story here...
http://in.news.yahoo.com/051110/43/60z44.html

Cheers

Does CII also give awards for the best lemon? And the nominees are . . . . . . And the Award goes to . . . No awards here for the right guess.

I dont really think Sumo is a lemon.

One of my good friends has had it for some 8 years I guess and its still running reall well. Its a diesel and has done 3-4 lacs on the odo.

cant say about the victa though

BUt tata I know is trying its best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max
"CII Institute of Quality," gave them award !!!! who is CII ???? anyone heared of them ?

CII - confederation of indian industries, and like vish said they are a pretty powerful lobby having some real decision making powers in the indian context... but the award if for the commercial vehicles more like trucks et al...
just think of how the truck buyers are gonna be dealt with if passenger car consumers are treated this way :D..
ak

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarshi84
I dont really think Sumo is a lemon.
One of my good friends has had it for some 8 years I guess and its still running reall well. Its a diesel and has done 3-4 lacs on the odo.
cant say about the victa though
BUt tata I know is trying its best.

every now and then, most of the batches have a deffective piece which we call it a lemon, the problem is not to try and make all products defect free(which every one is trying -- remember the term quality!!!), but accepting it, which tata has not done in varun's case..
the fact that, your friend has it for 8 yrs sure substantiates that, the product is a great one, but what if some one gets a lemon, does the company toss them around, and change parts without accepting that the piece is defective, if they had done than may be in a couple of months of varun reporting those problems, then we would all vouch for TATA and their products!!!
ak

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalluDude
TATA Motors getting a "business excellence award". !!

Cheers

oh yeah - They deserve the Business Excellence Award,since they know how to Excel in doing business by ripping off customers..

cheers,
sr

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarshi84

3-4 Lakhs?? Thats lot of mileage for a Tata car. It seems then that Tata products, even though they seem shoddily built last for quite a while. Guess they know what lasts in India best.
In some reliability survey (dont remember which magazine,but it was the one in which the Accord topped, E- class 2nd), the Indigo was said to be the 10th most reliable car in India. I heard of some Indigo diesels clocking 1-1.2 lakhs in a couple of years without major hiccups.

i really think we as a forum are being a bit irresponsible here in bashing about the TATAS.

In the Pre-Varun Roy (Protest against Tata Motors thread) era, the only grouses about TATA cars, if at all, used to lack of finish quality, refinement etc.

now, going by the bashing they are receiving in the post Varun Roy era, it would seem they are the most unethical manufacturer ever.

This talk about TATAS ripping off customers was never EVER mentioned or implied before. Suddenly they are theives ?

I am not denying Mr.Varun Roy has had an extremely bad experience with his SUMO and his being a return customer makes it all the more unfortunate. His complaint is legit, and his anger justified.

But tell me which manufacturer in the WORLD has not manufactured a lemon every once in a while and which organisation has not failed in its customer satisfaction process flow once in a while. sometimes these things happen. its unfortunate, but it happens.

The TATAS are an institution in themselves and Ratan Tata is probably one of few and most respect worthy Indians ever.

Earlier, (I think a month or so ago) there was this thread on this forum about TATAS acting aggressively against dealers for lack of service and a case of some member's relative getting even a replacement new car.

But suddenly we have members talking about TATAS ripping off customers etc.

IMHO, this is extremely juvenile.

To rip off - meaning in slang - to take someone for a ride..there is nothing wrong in that terminology I feel..Tata have certainly taken Mr.Roy for a ride by not replacing their Sumo..
To rip off also has a slang meaning of to take anothers property without permission(stealing),which isn't the meaning in this thread,since Tata Motors have never,and will NEVER "steal someones money"...that's something "juvenile"..and everyone is well aware of that.
Also,it's not a question of only Tatas here..I feel Ichibaan Honda /Honda Siel India have also taken me on a long ride when my car was with them for flood repairs of my vehicle till recently..but then,in the end,I was served well by them by complaining to higher authority,and also writing emails using "strong" terms..
I agree that any car manufacturer in the world isn't 100% perfect,but atleast they shouldn't allow such an issue to reach the public in the first place..I mean,Mr.Roy had so many trips to the service facility,and must have complained to higher authority before putting on and displaying the car service history..if Tata had replaced/repaired to his full satisfaction,it wouldn't have even been discussed on this forum.
Mr.R.Tata is one of the most respected people in India,and hope Tata Motors do good business,but in such cases,if Tata don't replace the car(Mr.Roy's car),after so many months of torture/visits/complaints to ,it's really really really sad..if this would have been the case in the western world,I guess he would have got a replacement car by now..then why not here??..an Automobile Manufacturer,be whereever,should consider such cases,and not harass the customer any further..isn't a period of so many months enough harassment to a customer who has paid lacs to get a car from a reputed company?
And yeah - many things are mentioned for first time...not only Tata ripping off ..since no one had mentioned before that tata motors was ripping off customers..well,perhaps Mr.Roy knows how he's being taken for a joy ride..but hasn't maybe posted it as rip-off (slang)

no hard feelings to anyone..we as team bhp.com are a family - and trying to help and express our views about various issues/cars/other stuff..there are misunderstandings,but should be solved.

best,
sr

Quote:

now, going by the bashing they are receiving in the post Varun Roy era, it would seem they are the most unethical manufacturer ever.
This is not exactly the case. There is difference between unethical and un-professional behaviour. Unethical behaviour is when there is intent to cheat in someway. Un-professional is simply not getting your act together.

Tata's are certainly not Un-Ethical. They have provided an excellent product that is an impossible to beat Value for Money. But, they are not as professional as a passenger car company should be... They are only a bit better than how a Scooter companies treat their customers. It is just a "chalta-hai" attitude.

Ratan Tata (And most senior management of Tata) are certainly honorable men. But, Most Indian companies never adopted global manufacturing and service standards. Where as Japanese cars have been fine-tuning their standards for decades. For all its problems, Indica is a solid car which hasn't developed a single 'additional' rattle in five years, from the day I picked it up. The cabin is amazingly well built (unlike marutis) and It is the car I would buy when I am a retired man. My priorities then will be great VFM, cheap to maintain car. I won't mind running to garage every few months, because i'd have all the time in the world, to become friends with the service station personnel. :-)

I don't think criticizing and pointing out how one feels let down because one was provided with a car that had niggling problems is equal to calling them un-ethical or cheats. At worst I'd call Tata Dealer/service network to be unprofessional and dis-organized.

WEll I wonder if you will bash maruti the same way if some here says maruti makes lemon cars.

Is is not easy to manufacture cars as having discussions here. Its costs money which totals in crores.

While this Mr. Roy case( I dunno the story) maybe genuine there are always such cases happening with each and every company.

Tata's new Dicor when compared to the first batch of safari in 98 shows how much tata has tried to improve their product.

One of my neigbours is a return customer for tata and while his old indica still gives him troubles He is satisfied with the car and went ahead and bought the indica.

if the salesman tells me I will get 20kmpl from my Honda city and I dont get that FE, then does that mean I take up a fight with the dealer? Each dealer out there is sitting to make sales and every potentiel customer should understand that.

whenever buying a car, keep some knowleadgeable person along with you or test for yourself. test drives are meant for clearing your doubts. We took a FE test for our maruti years back when we didnt believe the salespersons figure. Do the same. check for power and handling and then even if you receive a bad car than curse your luck.

Tata gives you the value no other car company gives and their cars are longlasting and more durable than many others. Giving quality at the same prices asks for some years of expertise asks for some R&D. tata is still a baby when it comes to passenger cars and it needs time and opportunity.

I don't know about others but I would certainly bash Maruti or whoever? You are missing the whole point here. How does a car become a lemon ? when the same repairs are carried out on more than the stipulated number of times in a certain stipulated period of time or within the stipulated mileage covered. Now, it depends totally on the manufacturer to decide wether he wishes to allow that period of time to lapse before it takes appropriate action. It also depends on how the dealer network has performed by following the norms and sending vital feed-back to the maker.
I would even go a step further, in fact such a car can be great source of education to the manufacturer because the performance levels of the car can be matched with the attributes of its user.
How I wish that someone would start a thread on team BHP, where vital feed back on the performances can be provided by all its members using their cars under different conditions.It is another matter,whether or not the manufacturers use these inputs in improving their end product, and service as well.