Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 15:19   #1
BHPian

Higher premium for Traffic Violations - Chennai

Courtesy : The Hindu dated 18July2010

CHENNAI: Violation of traffic rules with just not stop with a spot fine. If the traffic enforcement plan of the Chennai Police takes shape, violation of road traffic rules will result in the increase of insurance premium and could even go to the extent of cancellation of ‘no claim bonus.'

For habitual offenders, suspension of driving licence and confiscation of their vehicles is on the anvil.

Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic) M. Ravi said traffic discipline in Chennai is set to scale new heights with the police contemplating to link traffic violations with insurance premiums.

Driving in a rash and negligent manner would only result in road accidents where insurance companies have to pay for the loss of life or damage to vehicles.

In the event of any traffic violation where the road user is charged, we will have a mechanism to alert the insurance company concerned. When the person goes for renewal of annual insurance, the premium value would have been increased. We will also recommend cancellation of no claim bonus in some cases,” he told The Hindu on Saturday.

Legal sanction

Stating that a proposal in this regard would soon be sent to the government for approval and also to obtain legal sanction if required, he said this kind of a traffic enforcement system was prevalent in some developed countries.

Efforts were on enhance the quantum of fine in case of repeated offences. “Where a habitual offender comes to notice, we will suspend his driving licence, cancel permit and confiscate the vehicle. We are undertaking many road safety awareness programmes…I think it is also time for some tough action. We need to go hammer and tongs against violators,” he said.

Mr. Ravi said he was aware that many vehicle users tried to bring pressure on traffic police when they were caught violating rules of the Motor Vehicles Act.

“They immediately try to wield their influence by calling somebody on their mobile phones. For a fine of Rs. 50 to Rs. 100, the accused persons drop names. We have given clear instructions to police at all levels to go ahead to impose penalty on any person violating the law…there shall be no compromise in this regard. Even government vehicles will not be exempted,” he added.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/07/18/stor...1861040300.htm
Old 18th July 2010, 15:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Something has to be done.

However, nothing will do any good if it does not include

-- taxi drivers

-- school drivers

-- bus drivers

-- drivers of cars with political flags.

It is also, of course, entirely at odds with any existing "private income" schemes among so-called law enforcers.
Old 18th July 2010, 16:44   #3
BHPian

Well please also add autos and shared autos owned by the police. Shared autos are the worst.

Slightly OT, can anyone check if Shared autos are listed in the RTO vehicle list? most of these shared autos looks like they have been made/modified locally
Old 18th July 2010, 16:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

I was in for a pleasant surprise yesterday, driving down ECR. After Mayajaal, a cop with a speed gun stopped me. I was doing around 70.

I switched on the left indicator, pulled over, stopped but didn't get down, rolled window down. Surprisingly, the cop smiled at me (that was the biggest surprise - I haven't seen a traffic cop smile till date!!), and he said, "sir you are using seat belt and indicator, that is good. Only, please reduce the speed. You were doing 70. The speed limit is 60 here. Please carry on".

I was shocked. What, a cop who is genuinely interested in implementing speed limits, and actually trying to educate people about seat belts & indicators.. secondly, his objective is not money..

On the other side of the road I saw a string of cars lined up (people coming back from Pondy/Mahabs) and another cop was taking their licenses and writing something from what looked like a bill book.

Very pleasant surprise. I told him "Thank you sir" (first time I feel real respect for a cop) and left the place.

OT: Ahead of me I spotted a black Hummer coming in the opposite direction, it was doing good speed. I think the Hummer driver would have been stopped for sure.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

One pleasant surprise is the mention that the charge would also be levied equally for government vehicles. But I doubt if this would be enforced, but atleast they were daring enough to accept and mention govt vehicles name in the list.

As mentioned by someone, dont think the MTC busses would ever be booked by this drive.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

rajushank84, it is a pleasant surprise to hear your story. A relief from cynicism. Lets hope for more of this stuff from the cops.
Old 18th July 2010, 21:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

another loophole for the insurance companies to exploit?
I think so.
But good initiative from the cops.
Old 18th July 2010, 23:08   #8
BHPian

But will this law be enforced, I dont think a constable will stop a red-beaconed car or atleast a car with political flag for violation. He is not so powerful in this bureaucratic and politically filled up city. If he does . It would make his life worse. Am I correct?
Old 18th July 2010, 23:41   #9
BHPian

A very good initiative but also a great way to increase corruption.

First & foremost the police should focus on ensuring that MTC buses, Shared autos & trucks drive in a sane way. Needless to say there is no point in driving slowly in Chennai.

Btw I don't give a damm to DMK & AIADMK vehicles..

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 18th July 2010 at 23:43.
Old 19th July 2010, 02:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Surprisingly, the cop smiled at me
Yes, I've observed this in 97 when I was speeding at Velachery bridge, they were polite to car owners. Now days, I feel the cops are getting friendly to people & IIRC, this cops being friendly image was driven in TN some 2-3 years back by the former commisioner of Chennai (couldn't recall his name now) who was transferred for a silly reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Ahead of me I spotted a black Hummer coming in the opposite direction, it was doing good speed. I think the Hummer driver would have been stopped for sure.
I'm very sure they wouldn't have stopped for sure. If it were stopped, I hope it were a brown hummer only as the other one belongs to someone who's known to entire TN.
Old 19th July 2010, 08:22   #11
BHPian

real implementation...
this law will NOT be applied to union guys like taxi, rickshaws etc.
this will be used to loot money where there's no clear signs like faded zebra crossings, defunct signals etc.
Old 19th July 2010, 08:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

Abroad, your no claims will not be taken away but your premium takes a hit if you have a major violation
Old 19th July 2010, 09:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is based on what is done abroad, only modified a little to take away the NCB as well. This is just in the suggestion stage, I don't think NCB will be included in the implementation stage.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

I wish not wearing a helmet by two wheeler riders also is treated as a major violation and insurance claims be denied to them. This is the only way to make people wear helmets, no amount of fines will accomplish this.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:18   #15
BANNED

Changing Premium for Violations in fine with me. Must also include Politico's drivers in the list posted by Thad!

The insurance companies staff are hand in glove with the truck operators, who sometimes do not insure the fleet even Third Party and in the event of an accident make multiple claims, by changing the plates. we all pay for it.

Take the example of reducing peak NCB to 50% from 60/65%. What dis they achieve, penalize the careful driver to subsidise the careless. Ditto for reducing NBD to Zero instead of two stages I think it is high time that we make noise, and at least try and persuade the private insurers to do something in this front. Also, how about the UK practice of Protected No Claims (the peak NCB is reduced to 60% from 65% but up to two claims in 5 years, do not hurt it)

Most Viewed