BaldOwl

National Registry of Licenses - Step in the right direction

A god move.

Hope this paves for uniform taxes too.

National registry of licences in 6 months - India - The Times of India

Old 20th July 2010, 09:18   #2
BHPian

Seems like a good initiative.
I wish this actually comes into effect rather than the file gathering duct some months down the line.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:07   #3
BANNED

A very good idea. There can be some major advantages for us, the users, as well:

1. A truly national driving license. If you move just change your address. No problems of NOCs and the like.

2. Easy transfer of vehicles interstate and Adjustment of the Road Tax Already Paid. Again no NOC etc required.

As it stands it is far more difficult to sell a car in another state if it from a state which is not 'online' (like 'Ulta' Pradesh) that from one which is (like Delhi).

If a true national database comes about, what will happen to the corruption. I am sure the babus and brokers will fight it tooth and nail.
Old 20th July 2010, 21:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I can find a horse with a horn before this come into effect. Four years passed I could not get my EPIC. My friend could not get his Pass port for months. Now will it work with National licenses.
Old 20th July 2010, 21:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

it will definitely be hosted on that badly organised hopeless .nic server, who are looked after by incompetent engineer.

Its really funny! what makes a perfectly young efficient new engineer who joins a Govt. institution become inefficient after few months of work.

Its written in the article 919 RTO are already computerized. Well to tell the truth its just on paper.

Recently i found a very good looking low mileage JK registered SX4. the price quoted was too good to be true for top variant with leather package.

I tried to double check with JK RTO which is computerized on books. None of the VIN or Reg check works on that site.

Check for yourself.
Transport Department,Govt. of J&K : Registration Search

I believe this are the things that should be outsourced to efficient company instead of paying or running a department that is incompetent or inefficient. the department full of pot bellied old timers who tries to swindle government by submitting tons of medical bill throughout the year.

Last edited by SirAlec : 20th July 2010 at 21:55.
Old 21st July 2010, 08:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
it will definitely be hosted on that badly organised hopeless .nic server, who are looked after by incompetent engineer....
Sir, I couldnt agree more with you. I've had tremendously frustrating experiences at the RTO at Hyderabad for all of the following:

1. temporary learning license
2. driving license (I had to visit the place 5 times)
3. car registration

Things are computerized, but still the brokers rule, if you want to get anything done at all within a reasonable amount of time.

And regarding any India government websites, they're so bad that I don't even want to get started. I feel like redesigning these sites for free, if only someone would accept it
Old 21st July 2010, 09:49   #7
BANNED

See one problem is - these are computerized at only the local level. So as far as the user is concerned it is just a glorified typewriter. Once the network goes national, a lot of information will be available to folk like you and me, and to other RTOs. Hopefully things will improve.

Remember all these brokers are being provided employment!!
Old 21st July 2010, 18:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
See one problem is ...
Sir, I believe you had started a thread for a similar concern. Glad to know it is seeing the light of the day. I hope this is implemented for the benfit and ease of all. State wide common licenses and transfer mechanisms.Kudos! Good move.
Old 21st July 2010, 21:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
it will definitely be hosted on that badly organised hopeless .nic server, who are looked after by incompetent engineer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Sir, I couldnt agree more with you. I've had tremendously frustrating experiences at the RTO at Hyderabad for all of the following:

1. temporary learning license
2. driving license (I had to visit the place 5 times)
3. car registration

Things are computerized, but still the brokers rule, if you want to get anything done at all within a reasonable amount of time.

And regarding any India government websites, they're so bad that I don't even want to get started. I feel like redesigning these sites for free, if only someone would accept it
I beg to differ. I think we people even before see the things in flesh start commenting or bashing it.

See the good amount of improvement done in

irctc,
incometax efilling, pan infos, nsdl, online payment of tax, viewing tax info etc
telephones,
passports
licindia sites and online payments, [huge benefit since you can pay anywhere any policy]
and so many.

They are miles ahead than they were before or when without them.

I am sure you are aware of the issues TCS is facing in the computeriation of passport issuance. TCS is not a small company, but still it struggles to get up to speed due to less cooperation from users. But do you think TCS will give up? Is that not a govt project?

So, I am sure this will get up to speed eventhough it may have some initial hiccups.

Remember any change has its own resistance.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:17   #10
BANNED

Also, the mother of all projects coming up - Aadhar!!!!

Most Viewed