Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 16:47   #61
BHPian

@nitinbose, if for your safety, one can float a L1 tender and award it to some known party for 250 Crores, only then is your safety of any importance. Else, man you and me .. are nobodies.

What makes eberybody think that Bajaj will not continue development and enhance the current rickshaw. They will coninue to evolve.

On a lighter note, Richskaw's are like cockroaches, one can never get rid of them.

As mentioned already in this thread, there are Unions, thugs, goons all wearing a uniform to cheat and fleece the unsuspecting.

C'mon guys if we can move out the Nano plant out of Singur .. anything is possible within our democraxy.

Even if a state decides to do it, I am sure Mr. Bajaj will not take it lying down.. a stay order from the courts, will stall everything and it will take another 10 years for this case to be decided atleast.

so let's watch out for the next rickshaw who will suddenly come in your way.

cheers!
Old 24th July 2010, 23:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Auto drivers' mainacal driving stems from the fact that they have no doors/bumpers/glasses and expensive H&T lights to lose in the event of accident. In case of Nano, same driver will be worried about scratches on doors/bumpers and breakages of glasses/lights and ensuing repair costs. This will ceratinly tone down their rash driving to soem extent.

Also with Nano, they will feel a little elevated that now they are also driving cars just like every one else. A small car may be but a modern one nevertheless. And a revolutionary one too, having drawn the attention of the whole world.
Old 25th July 2010, 22:32   #63

Autos are many times more maneuverable than a car, almost like a two wheeler. So a shift to four wheelers will make these auto drivers more cautious and less confident on the road. By the way what is the turning radius of an auto ? Less than two metres, I guess.
Old 26th July 2010, 06:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Auto drivers' mainacal driving stems from the fact that they have no doors/bumpers/glasses and expensive H&T lights to lose in the event of accident. In case of Nano, same driver will be worried about scratches on doors/bumpers and breakages of glasses/lights and ensuing repair costs. This will ceratinly tone down their rash driving to soem extent.
I think you have a point here. A case in point is the indicab drivers. Though rash, they are nowhere near the auto drivers. But this is still wishful thinking, the change to nano will not happen through legislation. Bajaj and TVS will not permit it.
Old 26th July 2010, 07:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

NanoCAB

maybe this is what TATA has to do to a Nano to push it as a replacement to an Autorickshaw.
Attached Thumbnails
Sleek Tata Nanos to Replace Rasping Autos-nanocab-copy.jpg  

Old 26th July 2010, 08:48   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
@nitinbose, if for your safety, one can float a L1 tender and award it to some known party for 250 Crores, only then is your safety of any importance. Else, man you and me .. are nobodies.

What makes eberybody think that Bajaj will not continue development and enhance the current rickshaw. They will coninue to evolve.

On a lighter note, Richskaw's are like cockroaches, one can never get rid of them.

As mentioned already in this thread, there are Unions, thugs, goons all wearing a uniform to cheat and fleece the unsuspecting.

C'mon guys if we can move out the Nano plant out of Singur .. anything is possible within our democraxy.

Even if a state decides to do it, I am sure Mr. Bajaj will not take it lying down.. a stay order from the courts, will stall everything and it will take another 10 years for this case to be decided atleast.

so let's watch out for the next rickshaw who will suddenly come in your way.

cheers!
Hi Shivshanker,

Cockroach vehicle - that's the same name I gave the vehicle. I often comment that just like cockroaches, they'd even pass between your legs. I really liked that.

Indeed if Bajaj or other autorikshaw companies were to evolve their product, it's sure going to be good. However, the sad part is that that has not yet happened, yet it was supposed to have been so.

The sad part is also that Rickshaws though simple vehicles, are still quite pricey than their worth. So other than the manufacturer, nobody is being benefited.

The fares should also be such that for every kilometer, the driver also gets a cut - this would ensure that they dont cheat! The customer should also get receipts.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:26   #67
Team-BHP Support

I find the way to combat Indica drivers is to somehow slow them down. It takes a lot of time for them to get up to speed again
Old 26th July 2010, 09:48   #68
BHPian

I am all for NANO phasing out rickshaws - but as others have already suggested it should not be done by force. May be it will gradually happen by itself once NANO is available for ready delivery.

In case Bajaj or TVS wants to give any trouble, then

Quote:
Well, who says TATA cannot launch a NANO rickshaw with 3 wheels?
Old 26th July 2010, 10:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I am all for NANO phasing out rickshaws - but as others have already suggested it should not be done by force. May be it will gradually happen by itself once NANO is available for ready delivery.
Government should create a taxi category(fare) between Autorikshaws and Amby/Indica taxi's. Then if there is demand, i am sure autorikshaws will be phased out by itself. Once the demand for 3 wheelers goes down, Bajaj and TVS will covert 3 wheelers to 4 wheelers.
Having said that, In developed countries, the Transport agencies run Paratransit services in addition to regular buses. For eg, In silicon valley, VTA (The transport agency) operates Outreach, a paratransit service. They have a large fleet of Toyota Prius Hybrid cars, and mini buses.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Even Bajaj had a plan to introduce a 1L car right.
Any news about it's status?

IMO a rick is much safer for a woman travelling alone,
as a closed car with sunfilm in defnitley an easier way for a sick mind/driver to kidnap or do whatever..
Old 26th July 2010, 11:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Once the demand for 3 wheelers goes down, Bajaj and TVS will covert 3 wheelers to 4 wheelers.
This won't happen IMO. There was precisely such a proposal to make four wheelers called "Quadracycles" from TVS, Bajaj and some others about a decade ago. But the lobby from car companies who saw a threat in such a product put paid to their efforts.

The Bajaj/TVS autos and the share autos from companies such as Vikram are cheap people movers and a lot of people depend on them for their daily bread. They constitute a very large vote bank - much larger than that of car owners, and they actually go out and vote during elections, unlike many of the car owners! No Govt will dare to antagonize them. Add the lobbying power of Bajaj + TVS to this, and autos will never be taken out through legislation. It can only through choice, if at all.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:59   #72
BHPian

In Bangalore, this move was thought about by the govt and then the transport minister was quick to do a uturn on his announcement/decision.
Reasons obvious.With metro and the nano, the autodrivers would have no choice but to abandon them (since no one would buy an auto not in demand)
and take to some other profession. If this change has to be made, it will take a few years.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:01   #73
BHPian

Lets see if things change in the next 10 years atleast? am really sick and tired of driving in Bengaluru to be frank. All the joy of driving a car is gone and hopefully the metro and the nano (if at all) can bring some semblance of order on our roads.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
That said, I doubt if it'll happen anytime soon because the costs involved are quite huge
Not really. Auto rickshaws cost in excess of 1 lakh ex-showroom. A base level Nano would be close.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:53   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,
Always thought people would be sensible and mature in their thoughts if not by action. First of all this topic was about to discuss on the advent of Tata Nano on Bangalore roads and see it purely from a convenience part, but sadly this has gone way off topic. One TBhpian has branded people who fare badly in academics as people unfit for anything, tomorrow if his son/daughter fare badly in academics will he deem the same?
Another TBhpian has started to compare Bangalore & Chennai auto drivers which is not the topic at all. Folks please show some more sense and sensibility and always remember we live in glass houses.
@moderator,
Can this thread be closed since the decision of rolling out Nano's on Bangalore roads has been reversed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks