Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India

Daddy daddy, there's a monster outside our house!
No son, thats just my new Porsche Cayenne.
- Jeremy Clarkson

Back then, Porsche really stirred in an extra serving of the "sport" in the Sports Utility Vehicle formula. The design was controversial, Porsche's move into the segment was controversial, the looks were ..umm.. controversial -- but it sure went on to prove itself as a success as well as carve out a narrow but very deep niche.

Even in India, the Cayenne contributes to ~70% of Porsche sales here. 94 units in 2009 alone.

Fast forward to 2010

Today Porsche nationally debuted the new 2011 Cayenne at Mumbai, just 4 months after its international unveiling at Geneva.

2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160117_edit.jpg

All five engine options offered on the Cayenne will be available in India, including the Cayenne Diesel & the Cayenne S Hybrid.

PRICING

Ex-showroom prices in INR, all across India :

Cayenne - 65.82 Lakh
Cayenne S - 78.62 Lakh
Cayenne Turbo - 127.10 Lakh

Cayenne Diesel - 59.22 Lakh
Cayenne S Hybrid - 75.46 Lakh

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd July 2010 at 16:07.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

ENGINES

Porsche claims a power-up as well as an impressive 20-23% improvement in fuel efficiency across the range in the 2011 Cayenne. This can be greatly attributed to the lighter weight (~180kgs lighter) and the 8-Speed tiptronic with auto-start/stop (ie it switches off the engine at traffic lights, but don't worry - your A/C and ICE will remain on). The environmentally-friendly aspect of their cars is clearly being pushed hard these days.

Porsche seems to have gone with the tiptronic rather than the PDK (porsche's dual-clutch) since the more traditional auto has its advantages in off-roading conditions, thanks to the presence of a torque-converter. The wide range of 8 available ratios benefit the F.E. and remove the need for a separate low ratio box when off-roading as well. Manual transmission is only available on special order in India.

The Cayenne S uses the same mill as the Panamera S, and the Turbo uses the Panamera Turbo's engine. The Cayenne turbo comes with aluminum suspension components, to reduce weight and improve ride/handling. I believe these components are offered as optional on the other models in the range. Take a look at the Turbo's figures - its an absolute beast.

2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-sp3222072010143653.png

The Cayenne S's V8
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160133_s.jpg

The Cayenne Turbo's engine bay, packing 2 turbos
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160131_t.jpg

The Cayenne S Hybrid

Porsche seems to have picked a good model to help delve into the production Hybrid world. The 3.0L supercharged V6 puts out 333hp, and is mated to a 47hp electric motor - adding up to 380hp and producing a whopping 500Nm from as low as 1,000rpm! Apparently this hybrid can keep up with the Cayenne S on the track.

This isn't a name-sake hybrid either. Its a full-hybrid, meaning, it can run entirely on the electric motor at speeds upto ~60km/h.

Add to that, at highway speeds, when you're just crusing along (provided its slower than 155km/h!), the petrol engine can dis-engage completely and the electric motor can keep the car coasting along. Porsche engineers refer to this as "sailing".

All in all, the S Hybrid looks like a very competent package, and is quite suitable to the needs of the huge majority of Cayenne owners - city streets! Price wise, its 3.16 Lakhs cheaper than the regular S. I'm interested to see what the sales figures will say about this. I guess buying a Porsche SUV is blasphemous enough - may as well make it a Hybrid!

2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-hy.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd July 2010 at 16:50.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

EXTERIOR

Now, the earlier Cayenne was no looker - so making an improvement on it wasn't really a tall task. Typical of Porsche, they have taken an evolutionary approach to the design rather than a revolutionary one. The new car is unmistakably a Cayenne -- but its a much better proportioned one, and the several small changes made all add up to make the car look less ... ugly?

The 2011 is 48mm longer than the previous cayenne, but despite this, some clever styling along the roofline, side glass area and sloping rear end of the roof make the car seem smaller when viewed from the side.

2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160127.jpg
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160124.jpg

The front has no such effect, its still fairly imposing, and looks quite similar to the 2007 facelifted Cayenne. The sides or "wings" as they were referred to have been raised higher, and the hood has been given more of a V-shape. The Turbo can be distinguished by the larger (higher) air-intake, bigger power-hump on the hood, different fog-lamp cutouts, and dual twin-tailpipe configuration at the rear.
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160148.jpg

The mirrors, as well as the rest of the car has black plastic cladding on the bottom, making a clear statement that this car is designed to be used off-road as well. Unfortunately this does have a bit of that "body coloured bumper not available on lowest model" feel.
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160094.jpg

Twin pipes of the turbo on each side and the low-placed reflector.
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160050.jpg

The rear is no longer flat-bum ugly, however, you have to look fairly hard to see any Porsche influences. It seems like it could belong more to a Japanese SUV than a Porsche. The dull tail-lamps don't help matters much. Dare i say -- it has a bit of a soccer mom feel to it.
Name:  P1160147.JPG
Views: 40670
Size:  138.4 KB

The Turbo gets the 19" rims as stock whereas the S gets 18"ers -- unfortunately not too impressive, though the 20" and 21" wheels are optional extras. Check out the MASSIVE discs and calipers on the Turbo!
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160068.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd July 2010 at 16:17.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

INTERIORS

The largest perceivable improvement on the 2011 Cayenne is the redesign and management of the interior space. As mentioned earlier, the car is 48mm longer, of which 40mm is the increase in wheelbase - which equates to more usable space in the cabin. Design elements have been borrowed from the Panamera extensively, and the insides have a much sportier feel now.

The rising center console, culminating in the touch-screen display. Cayenne signature grab handles on either side for the passenger as well as the driver.
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160052.jpg

Smaller sportier steering wheel replaces the previous gen's samosa style wheel.
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160070.jpg

A host of buttons on the console - takes a bit of getting used to i'm sure, but there is a certain convenience of a direct switch rather than wading your way through a menu system.
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160072.jpg

The 18-way adjustable sports seats on the Turbo, looks and feels great (sports seats are an option on the others).
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160084.jpg

The rear bench now has sliding rear seats (fore/aft). Currently shown all the way back. The backrests have a 3-stage recline adjustment too, however, its minimal -- don't expect to be reclining any more than your typical office chair would let you.
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160065.jpg

Rear AC controls - quite extensive for something quite simple, but hey, more stuff to play with.
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160099.jpg

Very futuristic looking door panel. 3 sets of speakers, pop-out ash-tray, storage compartment and the sweetly styled door latch.
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160059.jpg

Boot space
2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-p1160144.jpg

I usually try to avoid closing reports on some sort of verdict, but keeping the (improved) controversial styling aside - the new Cayenne range seems to have been an improvement in every way!

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd July 2010 at 16:19.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I really like the back part. It doesnt look at all a Porsche , but I think its much better than the ongoing one.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:16   #6
BHPian

Splendid, Rehaan.

My personal pick would be Cayenne S Hybrid. Given that its reasonably priced, cheaper than Cayenne S and almost at par with Cayanne S in performance, it should do well in terms of sales. However, how does it compare in maintenance with Cayenne S and in terms of battery life / cost of replacement?

Cheers,
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:25   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Stunning pictures, especially the initial shots, and comprehensive report (as always)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Even in India, the Cayenne contributes to ~70% of Porsche sales here. 94 units in 2009 alone.

including the Cayenne Diesel & the Cayenne S Hybrid.

PRICING

Ex-showroom prices in INR, all across India :

Cayenne Diesel - 59.22 Lakh
The most important model for Porsche India. The diesel is very well-priced and will prove to be popular. Diesels make the most sense in SUVs : torque, robustness and long-tank range. Porsche has priced the Cayenne right in the ballpark of the M Class, X5 and the Q7. Brand is all that counts in this segment, an advantage that plays in favour of Porsche.

Quote:
Porsche seems to have gone with the tiptronic rather than the PDK (porsche's dual-clutch)
Conventional auto is also more reliable. Good decision.

This is the most practical Porsche for India, way more so than the Panamera too. Will take some time getting used to a diesel & hybrid in Porsche though .

Simply love the front seats. Porsche engineers seem to have a thing for buttons, eh?

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2010 at 16:27.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

very nice pix this is way better than the previous model, esp interiors
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:07   #9
BHPian

Today's DNA has a 4 full page advertisement giving details about Porsche range.
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:27   #10
BHPian

Very nice pics and nice report

I too feel the diesel version will do well in India. Cayenne is definitely the most popular model in our country considering the roads. Another interesting point here is that most of the vehicles sold by Porsche are ending up in B & C class cities. I am sure the Cayenne will be a better choice for these cities than the other options from the stable.

Just had some queries:
1. There are temperature controls shown at both the sides in the pictures (the front and rear consoles have two buttons). Any idea how these work? Is this like a common switch?

2. There are not many service centres for these cars in India. If I am not mistaken there are only 5 authorised centres right now. How do the owners get these vehicles serviced? What is the service frequency for these premium cars? Does Porche have a mobile service team?
(Mind you, I have no plans to buy a Porsche the thought just popped up)

Rgds,
Aj
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:56   #11
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
...However, how does it compare in maintenance with Cayenne S and in terms of battery life / cost of replacement?..
I too am interested to find out. Theres really nothing else to complain or worry about with the Hybrid is there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
1. There are temperature controls shown at both the sides in the pictures (the front and rear consoles have two buttons). Any idea how these work? Is this like a common switch?
This is "multi-zone" climate control. Each of the 4 passengers can control their desired temperature and fan settings for their own "zone".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Does Porche have a mobile service team?
Porsche had introduced a Road-side assistance program recently.

Unfortunately i do not have any more details on that at the moment. Can anyone else shed some light on it?

cya
R
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

The rear looks quite ordinary and I quite agree, its very "soccer mom"ish
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don't like the new styling but the interiors are way better than last generation. The cabin exudes luxury everywhere! And that boot is humongous!! I guess three people can comfortably sleep in there
Overall this looks like the Panamera on stilts! Bollywood is crazy behind Cayennes!
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

I actually was about to skip right through to post that the front looks good now, but the rear is just plain stupid. And there's so much beige in the interior, it would make me sick !! Overall though, nice move by Porsche, bringing it into India super quick and offering the entire range of engines here. Doesn't make you feel "left-out" anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Bollywood is crazy behind Cayennes!
It once was, before the Q7 came in. It will be interesting to see if B-town takes to this once again, because the presence of the LED'd Q7 is just insane, never mind if it actually looks good or not.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd July 2010 at 22:55.
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:55   #15
BHPian

Car looked good in real.. More than the exterior changes, I prefer the interior of this to the previous gen 7 year old model.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks