Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 17:35   #16
BHPian

if they (dumb as they are) try removing the hsrp by force not knowing what they are dealing with, wouldnt it result in damage to the exterior paint / scratches etc also?

come to think of it, fixing that will cost more than those 'simple / el chepo' number plates.
Old 24th July 2010, 19:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
Smart number plate? Now whats that , and how it is installed ? Need to get new plates, need to know about this smart plates ,so that i can get those installed this time. thanks
Check these out...
1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tes-india.html
2. High Security Registration Anti Theft Smart Car Number Plates manufacturer India - Trust me, their service & product both are good

Even if the front head is sheared off, there's a nut on the other side, atleast for motorcycles. How about cars?
Move over stolen monograms, it's number plates now!!-p1.jpg
But I guess, they could do nothing by stealing HSRP's or smart number plates unless selling it to owners back saying they found the lost one
Old 24th July 2010, 22:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Now this is new to me. I've never heard of number plates getting stolen. I've said this before in the monogram thread, I don't think the cops care. One bit. Because if everybody knows where the monograms eventually end up (where they're bought for a pittiance, maybe 100 bucks) then is it really that difficult or impossible to investigate, track back and crack down on this crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
A family friend lost all the wheels from his Scorpio.
Wheels? Wheels? Or just the hubcaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
It's not just number plates or monograms that are being stolen. My friend lost both the front wipers, and that too in the rainy season! It's so unsafe to park cars on the streets nowadays even in broad daylight!
Err...seriously, what the hell is happening? Monograms, numberplates, wheels and wipers !!
Old 24th July 2010, 23:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

Wheels? Wheels? Or just the hubcaps?

You read it right. Wheels!!. The car was supported by stones on all the four sides!!

He would have been happy if they had stolen the hubcaps. Lol.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 24th July 2010 at 23:17.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
You read it right. Wheels!!. The car was supported by stones on all the four sides!!

This is nothing compared to what happened to one of my friends who happens to be a son of a police inspector and this happened inside a Reserve police quarters which has walls all around it. This happened when he first bought his new 150cc pulsar he used to chain up his front wheel to his house window along with the usual handle/ignition lock. Just 2 weeks after this the bike got stolen with the front mag wheel still attached to the chain.

Sorry a little O.T but had to tell this.

Last edited by rocky080 : 25th July 2010 at 00:06.
Old 25th July 2010, 00:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
Just 2 weeks after this the bike got stolen with the front mag wheel still attached to the chain.
It must have been so bad for that person to walk to his car in the morning to find it without it's wheels

Worse still, walking to the bike in the morning only to find it's front wheel...

Old 25th July 2010, 00:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
It must have been so bad for that person to walk to his car in the morning to find it without it's wheels

Well, read on. He obviously didn't notice the missing wheels. He starts the car, engages the gear and you can imagine the rest.

Gets down and realizes not one but all the 4 wheels are gone.

I would have had died if I was in his shoes.
Old 25th July 2010, 00:22   #23
BHPian

The cheapest and the most effective solution to deal with such an issue is to use a sticker instead of the plate. This has an added advantage of making sure that the number plate does not rattle if your car is equipped with a woofer.

Cost: Rs 200/- for the set (front & rear)
Date of installation: last quarter of 2007

Move over stolen monograms, it's number plates now!!-01042008005.jpg

P.S.: Sorry for the poor quality image. (phone cam in use)
Old 25th July 2010, 11:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Using stickers is a good thought, High security number plates even if stolen would only fetch scrap value as the numbers are embossed.
Old 25th July 2010, 16:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

If this kind of thefts are promoted, I wouldn't hesitate to start using stickers as it costs only few 100's while the HSRP, though doesn't fetch any value, costs a bomb to buy & to replace if stolen.

A little OT that's worth reminding a caution. An old movie of Shivaji Ganesan where he breaks glass windows of houses & his friend comes to mend it making some money for the day. I hope this trend doesn't follow the monogram, wheel, wiper & number plates!!!
Old 25th July 2010, 16:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
The cheapest and the most effective solution to deal with such an issue is to use a sticker instead of the plate. This has an added advantage of making sure that the number plate does not rattle if your car is equipped with a woofer.

Cost: Rs 200/- for the set (front & rear)
Date of installation: last quarter of 2007

Attachment 393375

P.S.: Sorry for the poor quality image. (phone cam in use)
What those screws are for or are they just part of the stickers?
Old 25th July 2010, 20:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
What those screws are for or are they just part of the stickers?
They are not the screw's brother, instead they are the holes in which the screw's are err ''screwed'' !!
Old 26th July 2010, 13:58   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I think the answer to this may be the shear-off screws (where after attaching the plate, the top of the screw is sheared off and the plate can't be removed anymore) provided with the so-called High Security Number Plates (HSNP).
So broadly, we have three potential solutions already mentioned on this thread:

1. Shear-off screws

2. Using stickers instead of plates

3. Embossed number plates. Surely, they can't be re-used (unless the thief wants your number for a stolen car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The solution is to paint the area white and paste stickers of the registration detail.
True. But would look ugly. Good numberplates can compliment the looks of your car. Atleast I'm very particular about the size & design. I have to admit though, Maglev's sticker plate looks decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
Well well someone took both the numberplate (front & Back) from our Punto , day before yesterday
Shucks! Sorry to hear about this, AGM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
I recently had to show my RC book as evidence before a number plate shop actually delivered the new plates.
Great practice, but impossible to implement. I've never been asked to show my registration details as proof of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
Just 2 weeks after this the bike got stolen with the front mag wheel still attached to the chain.
Sorry about that, but I couldn't help laughing after picturing the sight.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:23   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

3. Embossed number plates. Surely, they can't be re-used (unless the thief wants your number for a stolen car).
Thinking about this, this is even worse! I would rather have my number plates stolen, cleaned or recycled and used/sold with some other number on them than having someone else using my number on their car or on a stolen car ;-)
Old 26th July 2010, 20:34   #30
BHPian

I don't know if this can be included in this thread, but I once had all but one number stickers from my bike's number plate stolen. That's right, just the stickers. I came back to the bike to find that it now had a fancy number KL-01 AF 1 on both plates. I had the plates sprayed with clear-coat after restoring the numbers. Probably some street kids who decided my bike deserved a better number.

I'm not investing in high-security plates until they're mandated. There were warnings on several dailies that most of the so-called high-security plates were unapproved and fake, and would need to be reinstalled. Add to that the price that it 3X that of regular sticker plates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks