Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 21:42   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
2. Using stickers instead of plates
Are stickers containing the number plate information legal? Any idea where to get them in Bangalore?

I ask this because I was told that the Polo doesn't come with holes to fix the screws for the numberplate. It seems that the holes have to be drilled in the bumper. A sticker would suffice nicely if legal.
Old 26th July 2010, 22:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I came back to the bike to find that it now had a fancy number KL-01 AF 1 on both plates.
I just had to laugh at that one !!
Old 27th July 2010, 08:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

How about getting the registration no embossed either on the car rear bumper or on the rear glass or nay other such location which may be visible to car owner as well as the traffic guys.

Since now the antenna comes printed on the rear window shield how about doing the same for the car reg no.

I have seen the stickers on the no plate coming off too soon than expected because of poor gluing. These days the no plates come with fancy dealer stickers which make it all the more attractive to be flinched.

The best solution to prevent the no plates and monograms from getting stolen would be provide stickers are GTO suggested and keep the stickers in lots as spares.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:23   #34
HKP
BHPian

Stealing number plates is quite common here in USA. There are companies like Lockum that offers solution for this. DMV (like our RTO) has procedures to follow if your number plate (registration Plate) is stolen.

Plates stolen are mostly used for car theft, traffic violations(Its the number plate that is caught in the camera) and other petty crimes.

Its a good idea to report the theft to police and keep it in records so that you are not responsible for any crime committed using your plate.

\\hkp
Old 27th July 2010, 21:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How about getting the registration no embossed either on the car rear bumper...
Re-registration will mean a new bumper.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th July 2010 at 21:18.
Old 28th July 2010, 07:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Re-registration will mean a new bumper.
Even if we do re-registration the car number would still remain the same in case of transfer to within the RTO or different RTO. I fail to understand the need for a new bumper.

Lately I have been seeing so many Fiestas, Ikons without the blue oval and it gives me jitters as to whether my Fiesta is next in line. Every time I visit a mall or a shopping area, the first thing I check after I return back is whether the monograms are safe, now I need to strat worrying about the number plates. If this trend continues, then I may end up having a check list for my car.
Old 28th July 2010, 08:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

So the number plate theft is on the move. Now for all of us it is a caution to check the number plates on every start up after taking from the parking. If it is stolen another problem of caught with the police on the way. It might give a good business for the number plate vendors and nightmares to car owners.
Old 28th July 2010, 08:31   #38
BHPian

As most people suggested it would be best to get Smart plates which have the numbers emobossed rather than being printed stickers. Plus you also get a screws with heads that snap-off.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Isko bolte hai "CHINDHI CHOR" in Mumbai slang language. What a shame. We can prevent such things. Cant put locks for number plates

I still remember one incident, we went to Mumabi Sahar airport to pick up my cousins from US. Thief stolen our one wheel cap of the sumo. Driven was sleeping in the car.
Old 28th July 2010, 13:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I still remember one incident, we went to Mumabi Sahar airport to pick up my cousins from US. Thief stolen our one wheel cap of the sumo. Driven was sleeping in the car.
Maybe he needed just one to complete the set on his Sumo.

The number plates need to be protected a la Bond way. Someone tries to touch the number plate and bang goes the alarm.

Some time back I had seen in one of the English movies, the number plates of the car gets changed with some kind of automatic operations, the old plates slide in and new ones some up during the vehicle running.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:12   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Isko bolte hai "CHINDHI CHOR" in Mumbai slang language. What a shame. We can prevent such things. Cant put locks for number plates

Well what I have done is riveted my embossed number plate to the car. No one can even move it a cm !

I believe everyone should get an embossed number plate to stop the robbers !
Old 31st July 2010, 23:44   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pics of two poor victims:

Attachment 392878
Hope that isn't your Civic??!!!
Old 1st August 2010, 00:46   #43
BHPian

I think part solution to such thefts lies in parking at trusted areas and parking lots which people usually avoid to same some money, but as they say locks are not for thieves, especially druggists who pick anything worth Rs 10 even. Outside my gym there have been few incidents like these.I sincerely don't think there can be a permanent solution to such problems and thats a sad plight.I love my india minus these robberies which have become a real pain.Really its too sad.
Old 1st August 2010, 10:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hope that isn't your Civic??!!!
His is a 1.8V as far as can I remember.

I have been seeing many HSRP number plates broken/sheared in my office parking recently. Only now I know that it could be a botched theft attempt .

Last edited by JustCause : 1st August 2010 at 10:39.
Old 1st August 2010, 12:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I came back to the bike to find that it now had a fancy number KL-01 AF 1 on both plates.
And you got it free of cost - imagine the savings

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks