Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 15:22   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Here is a picture people!!
I am shocked how poor it looks. If this is close to finalization stage, they need to ideally completely shun this and revisit drawing board.

The front end looks inharmonious to the back end. They just don't get. We were hoping for Vision D concept kind of looks. According to me, the Fabia simply cannot be converted to a sedan, without looking odd. Fabia's proportions are quite odd and do not gel in smooth profile.

I think after a slew of new launches, a lot of buyers will switch their attention back to VW Vento TDI as default choice.
Old 11th May 2011, 16:59   #137

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

From this pic... i feel Skodia is doing a "Dezire" Job. But atleast Maurthi used just its Swift platform and Skodia is mixing both new Fabia (front) and Vento (platform / back)

I am very disappointed its this is anywhere near to the output product.
Old 11th May 2011, 23:01   #138
Senior - BHPian

Guys i think its known that the car is based on the Vento so i dont see any reason to doubt whether its a Fabia with a Boot or a reworked Fabia.
Also, since its a Vento Based car, why would they need to test the car for lakhs of kms? The Vento has already been tested for Lakhs of kms.

I do agree it looks ugly and all the reports about it being based on the Vision D in terms of styling seem to be untrue.
Old 12th May 2011, 09:11   #139
GSM
BHPian

Guys, what's your take? Any possibility of Rapid being equipped with pure HPS or will it also be only EPS like the Vento? I am told that Polo has EPS, whereas Fabia has HPS and applying the same logic (however illogical it may seem), I wish Rapid comes with HPS.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:43   #140
BHPian

^^IIRC, Vento does come with a Electro Hydraulic PS, just as the old Fabia. Polo and the new Fabia have EPS.
Old 12th May 2011, 12:00   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM View Post
Guys, what's your take? Any possibility of Rapid being equipped with pure HPS or will it also be only EPS like the Vento? I am told that Polo has EPS, whereas Fabia has HPS and applying the same logic (however illogical it may seem), I wish Rapid comes with HPS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
^^IIRC, Vento does come with a Electro Hydraulic PS, just as the old Fabia. Polo and the new Fabia have EPS.
Guys, isn't it getting too finicky at such an early stage? I mean let's wait for the overall package and then talk about the smaller but significant features.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:53   #142
mxx
BHPian

I dont understand why people expect a vision D based design. This is skoda's cheapest sedan, so the price needs to be kept low. Add to that, it must be priced below the vento to preserve VW group positioning. Now skoda will need to keep the margins reasonable. One way to do it is to make use of Fabia's parts bin. Any reason why they would not?
Old 12th May 2011, 19:27   #143
BHPian

The last pic is disappointing. I thought replacements should always be better than the ones they replace, and not the other way around.

The Laura in India is the actual replacement for Octavia in European markets which makes a lot of sense.

The Rapid can be better termed as skoda's new entrant into the 10 lakh category and not a replacement for the Octy.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:55   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I dont understand why people expect a vision D based design. This is skoda's cheapest sedan, so the price needs to be kept low. Add to that, it must be priced below the vento to preserve VW group positioning. Now skoda will need to keep the margins reasonable. One way to do it is to make use of Fabia's parts bin. Any reason why they would not?
Does designing a good looking car add too much to the cost? When they have saved a hell lot on R&D as engines, chassis and body is carried over from the Vento? Why not take a little bit effort for the only thing Skoda has to design on its own, the nose of the car?
Old 12th May 2011, 20:17   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Why not take a little bit effort for the only thing Skoda has to design on its own, the nose of the car?
I second that. The nose could become an important factor for losing out on sales compared to the Vento.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sir, the car will compete with the City, Vento, Verna, Fiesta and Linea, it better be good looking ! Also, i dont understand how much money it takes for Skoda to paste a nice nose on the car.. its really not rocket science or something that costs the earth.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 15:59   #147

Tough luck, I was really hoping for a better nose job
Old 13th May 2011, 17:55   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys, isn't it getting too finicky at such an early stage? I mean let's wait for the overall package and then talk about the smaller but significant features.
Indeed. Its a bit too early I feel!

Quote:
I guess its not just expectation. Going by the news bit released (in autocar etc.), it is based on the vision-D concept.
Old 13th May 2011, 21:24   #149
Senior - BHPian

Thomas Kuehl , Skoda India Board Member, in this video talks about launching an 'entry limousine' in the fourth quarter of this year.

Skoda to launch small car for Indian markets in Jan 2012-Auto-ET NOW-Economic Times

(Don't go by the story header, the soundbyte doesn't have anything to do with the story!)
Old 13th May 2011, 21:40   #150
Team-BHP Support

This is extremely disappointing. But somehow, I am not surprised.

I was right from the start. It will look like the Fabia. Let's hope they don't 'D'zire' it completely and integrate the boot like an it's an after-thought. But the fact that the front end is a straight-lift off the Fabia completely puts me off. And from the most recent picture, it looks like there is more of the Vento that I thought. That rear quarter-glass and the silhouette is a give-away. Very, very sad. Sigh.

How hard is it for a company to design something different from the hatch sibling that its based on? Fiat did it with the Linea, so why can't Skoda?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks