Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 22:26   #271
Senior - BHPian

Is this car Lauretta just for the indian Market?
Old 14th September 2011, 09:43   #272
Team-BHP Support

Re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Torque View Post
It was Rapid, then Lauretta and now? Rapidetta?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ Good to know T-BHP is a few days ahead of Mr. Sorabjee...again
Taking the naming discussion further, they could have called it the Vendetta
Old 14th September 2011, 09:50   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

Note from Moderator: All Mission L Concept car posts deleted from the thread, please do not confuse it with upcoming Vento based car. Please discuss Mission L concept in the dedicated thread in International Automotive Section. Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 11:44   #274
Senior - BHPian

Ok, now we seem to be progressing. The launch date seems to be out.
If Mr. Sorabjee's tweet is anything to go by, then the launch does'nt seem too far off.
So, the question remains - What's the name of this car?!

OT: Here's a wild idea - Why cant Skoda have some sort of a competition? People would have to come up with some name. The best name would be chosen and the person, rewarded. Pretty doable, if you ask me.
Old 14th September 2011, 14:40   #275
Senior - BHPian

Glad that there is some confirmation on the proposed launch dates. Now that the updated vento with a price increase has been more or less released, I expect this to be launched a little below its VW cousin now.

Here is the answer to the question -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
So, the question remains - What's the name of this car?!
Quote:
Guys- please don't bash me for this, but it's possible Skoda are seriously reconsidering the "Lauretta" monicker. Sources say the online bashing of the name has stung the company hard and they may well revert (YES I used "revert" correctly!) to the original choice.

Skoda Rapid it is then! Great decision by the company and definitely one that will impact sales positively IMHO!
Old 14th September 2011, 15:30   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Note from Moderator: All Mission L Concept car posts deleted from the thread, please do not confuse it with upcoming Vento based car. Please discuss Mission L concept in the dedicated thread in International Automotive Section. Thanks
(Hi Anshuman, there is confirmation from a Skoda press release that the MissionL is in fact the car being launched in India. There is also an official press release from Skoda in the link!)

Guys Breaking news..! The MissionL concept is the one which is being launched in India in Oct 2011 ! The one which Skoda was planning to call Lauretta and now is changing the name again.
There is confirmed news of this from a press release by Skoda during the Frankfurt motor show.
More details on the Autoblog website link below, which also includes the official press release from Skoda!
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/13/s...rankfurt-2011/

Skoda MissionL concept provides glimpse at Czech automaker's future
Old 14th September 2011, 15:34   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Good point @bala80- since the Vento with the new features and enhanced price has already reached showrooms (our friend ninjatalli is geting one, apparently!) the timing is just perfect for a between-Dassera-and-Diwali launch for the Skoda Rapid.

The date I heard was Oct 25th- market launch may well be 2 weeks before that. Let's watch: these are exciting times in the Indian auto industry!

Edit: Am pretty sure this is NOT the MissionL we are talking about. unless this some devious stunt Skoda is pulling to keep things hush-hush till the actual launch!

Last edited by noopster : 14th September 2011 at 15:38.
Old 14th September 2011, 16:19   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good point @bala80- since the Vento with the new features and enhanced price has already reached showrooms (our friend ninjatalli is geting one, apparently!) the timing is just perfect for a between-Dassera-and-Diwali launch for the Skoda Rapid.

The date I heard was Oct 25th- market launch may well be 2 weeks before that. Let's watch: these are exciting times in the Indian auto industry!

Edit: Am pretty sure this is NOT the MissionL we are talking about. unless this some devious stunt Skoda is pulling to keep things hush-hush till the actual launch!
Hi Noopster,

The official press release is available on Skoda's website at
?KODA presents a design concept of its new compact model ?koda Auto -

To quote a line from that release:
"The VW Group evening at the 2011 Frankfurt International Motor Show saw a world premiere of ŠKODA's design concept called MissionL. Close to the final production look, this concept car offers a glimpse of the Czech carmaker's new compact model. The new vehicle will be launched in Europe, Russia and China in 2012, and the customers in India will see it arrive in the market even earlier, before the end of 2011."

This is definitely a surprise move and the car looks much better than the Vento! Don't know though how much of the white / light coloured interiors will be retained in the production version!
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 17:55   #279
Senior - BHPian

So Skoda is actually launching 2 cars by the year end?

1.A vento competitor with fabia face

2.The MissionL based car which would be the new Laura?
Old 14th September 2011, 18:08   #280
Team-BHP Support

If the new Lauretta or whatever, is in fact, the Mission L Concept by Skoda, then I'll be pretty pleased!

The Mission L looks fantastic. And going by the spy-pictures of the new Skoda's rear-end, it actually looks like the Mission-L. People have also said that the new sedan may look like the Fabia, and some even stated that it definitely looks like the Fabia from the front, but rest assured, Skoda might have decided to slap the Fabia's face on it, just to confuse and mislead people.

It's quite a possibility, if you ask me.

I doubt Skoda will launch two new cars before the end of the year. Think about it. Skoda has always taken their time to introduce their cars. Remember how long the Fabia took to come down?
Old 14th September 2011, 18:13   #281
Senior - BHPian

I still have my doubts on the Mission L concept being the Octavia replacement. Had'nt it been discussed earlier that the Mission L is actually the next gen Laura (Octavia globally) and this Rapid/Lauretta is the Octavia replacement (for Indian market).

Why this confusion? I suggest we all wait for the actual Indian press release. As, I think these are two separate car's that we are talking about.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:14   #282
BHPian

Skoda is looking at 2 new launches.

The first is the Sedan based on the Vento called Rapid/ Lauretta. It will be the in 7 - 10l range. This car should launch before Diwali this year.

The second is a car between the Rapid/ Lauretta and the Laura known as the MissionL concept right now. This car will be in the 11 to 14l price range and should launch by the end of the year or early next year. (I hope they revive the Octavia name for this car)

The Laura Replacement based on the New Jetta shall launch by the end of next year or start of 2013.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:32   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Had'nt it been discussed earlier that the Mission L is actually the next gen Laura (Octavia globally) and this Rapid/Lauretta is the Octavia replacement (for Indian market).
Why this confusion?
The link which behemoth posted (the autoblog one, post no. 279) states that MissionL will fill the slot between Fabia and Octavia (Laura in India).
It is confusing indeed!

Last edited by driveanddrive : 14th September 2011 at 18:34.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:35   #284
BHPian

Quote:
I still have my doubts on the Mission L concept being the Octavia replacement. Had'nt it been discussed earlier that the Mission L is actually the next gen Laura (Octavia globally) and this Rapid/Lauretta is the Octavia replacement (for Indian market).

Why this confusion? I suggest we all wait for the actual Indian press release. As, I think these are two separate car's that we are talking about.
The Rapid/Lauretta isn't a replacement for the Octy (unlike the thread title suggests)! Its just the Skoda analog of the Vento, which is a entirely new car, and a segment below the Octy (this has been already clarified in the earlier pages of this thread). Mission L seems to be based on the Vento, and as @behemoth has pointed out from the Skoda news release, it could well be the Lauretta/Rapid. @noops! I wish you went wrong on this one. Fingers crossed, Skoda!
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 18:38   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
The link which behemoth posted (the autoblog one, post no. 279) states that MissionL will fill the slot between Fabia and Octavia (Laura in India).
It is confusing indeed!
How many more clues do we need now, really?

The press release states that it will come to India first, before 2012. Skoda has a car in the pipeline for sometime now and it will be based on the VW Vento, and this is not new news to us. There is a spy-photo of the new Skoda's rear end that doesn't look too different from the MissionL concept's rear end. The MissionL Concept looks a scale smaller than the Laura, IMO.

C'mon people, put the pieces together!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th September 2011 at 18:39.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed