Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 11:41   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011

A non public launch ? - only for partners possibly then because there is no news anywhere , nothing on the Skoda website or their Facebook page - and given the trend everyone seems to be doing it live via a webcast these days which is promoted significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Skoda Rapid is either Launching tomorrow or day after in Goa. This is based on what a dealer had to say (needs to be confirmed), he was on his way to Goa today!!

Goan Bhpians, keep a look out.
Old 12th October 2011, 14:53   #377
BHPian

re: Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011

This does look like the pre-refresh Vento, like Sourav mentioned in the Vento thread. Are they clearing the 10000+ dead stock of petrol Ventos by simply changing their bonnets and boots? Because everything else looks like it is coming from the Vento! Sad!
Old 12th October 2011, 18:22   #378
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
This does look like the pre-refresh Vento, like Sourav mentioned in the Vento thread. Are they clearing the 10000+ dead stock of petrol Ventos by simply changing their bonnets and boots? Because everything else looks like it is coming from the Vento! Sad!
And fenders, lights, interiors and... There are too many changes it is only the midsection the doors and frames that have been kept constant.
Old 12th October 2011, 18:36   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
And fenders, lights, interiors and... There are too many changes it is only the midsection the doors and frames that have been kept constant.
The interiors look similar too. The dash, the switches, the climate control!

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/276...-november.aspx

Last edited by nileshch : 12th October 2011 at 18:40.
Old 12th October 2011, 18:46   #380
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The interiors look similar too. The dash, the switches, the climate control!

Skoda Rapid on sale this November - News - Autocar India
But that is just like in the Laura & Jetta, Superb & Passat and even the A4 to some extent. They all share so much.

If one opens a skoda car internal part behind it you normally see the logos for all four VW, Seat, Skoda and Audi - ie if it is a common part.
Old 13th October 2011, 02:09   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Skoda Rapid is either Launching tomorrow or day after in Goa. This is based on what a dealer had to say (needs to be confirmed), he was on his way to Goa today!!

Goan Bhpians, keep a look out.

The Rapid is launching tomorrow at a 5 star hotel in Goa. Here's a little sneek peak..
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-img2011101200188.jpg  

Ravenblood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 11:10   #382
BHPian

SOurce ICB:

Skoda Rapid to come with 103hp engines and two AT options

According to a new press release issued by Skoda, the Rapid sedan expected in mid-November in India sports 1.6-liter petrol and diesel engines producing an output of 103hp/105PS. The torque figures will not be similar with the diesel engine having a clear advantage.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:29   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblood View Post
The Rapid is launching tomorrow at a 5 star hotel in Goa. Here's a little sneek peak..
He..he.. that is really a little sneak. Ravenblood try to be and give us the first hand account of the launch!
Old 13th October 2011, 17:11   #384
Senior - BHPian

Glad that the output is that , i was slightly skeptical whether it might be dropped to the 90 level i.e a lower engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
SOurce ICB:

Skoda Rapid to come with 103hp engines and two AT options

According to a new press release issued by Skoda, the Rapid sedan expected in mid-November in India sports 1.6-liter petrol and diesel engines producing an output of 103hp/105PS. The torque figures will not be similar with the diesel engine having a clear advantage.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:19   #385
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking forward to this launch very keenly. Hope Skoda will not strip it off features like they did when they launched the new Fabia. I don't know whats the fuss if the Rapid looks similar to the Fabia or the Vento. Most of the European brands have a typical design philosophy of designing all their models similar to each other. The Rapid is no exception. Hope the overall product won't be a letdown.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:27   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
But that is just like in the Laura & Jetta, Superb & Passat and even the A4 to some extent. They all share so much.

If one opens a skoda car internal part behind it you normally see the logos for all four VW, Seat, Skoda and Audi - ie if it is a common part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Most of the European brands have a typical design philosophy of designing all their models similar to each other. The Rapid is no exception. Hope the overall product won't be a letdown.
It is fine if the design languages are similar. But using the same interiors and exteriors? Using the same switches, knobs and vent grills across two brands (which are pitted against each other) is definitely a first in India, don't know how it works outside! Beats me
Old 13th October 2011, 17:46   #387
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is fine if the design languages are similar. But using the same interiors and exteriors? Using the same switches, knobs and vent grills across two brands (which are pitted against each other) is definitely a first in India, don't know how it works outside! Beats me
Yes I agree the cabin is very much the same between the Rapid and the Vento but maybe since Skoda has a good brand image for fuel economy and build quality, thanks to the Octavia, I guess the VW group is all game to pull customers who are skeptical to go with the VW brand since its new in India. Trust me outside Team-BHP, Skoda is a very respected brand.

Moreover by sharing the underpinnings, the input cost is lowered and hence increase in profit. My cousin got a Fabia recently and the cash receipt generated had Volkswagen written over it so whether the Rapid sells or the Vento or both, the ultimate profit goes to the VW group.

Whether you agree or not, Indian customers are always taken for a ride.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 18:01   #388
BHPian

It could be a divide and rule from VW group. Basically you sell the same (almost the same) car with 2 different brands which have a different appeals. You basically provide more options there by increasing the probability of a customer buying on the brands. A prospective for Vento may go in for Skoda and vice versa. The market will have now N + 1 customers and you have a bigger share.

What we need to watch is how the car is marketed and what USP will they project over the Vento (if they have one at all) !
Old 13th October 2011, 18:08   #389
BHPian

Going by all the info so far - reports/pics/scoops- the idea appears to be that VW wants to introduce a cheaper under spec'd version of Vento (as they put it, more accessible), but without affecting the brand position it's trying to build for itself in India. Enter poor cousin Skoda, and we have the Rapid! Without designing even a nut or a bolt afresh they have a new car entirely made out of left over parts from the bin.

Personally, I'm somehow reminded of Hyundai Sonata by the front end, absolutely no Skoda there. Those Snoopy nose headlights are a absolute misfit for the Vento'ish lines.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:16   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope Skoda retunes the suspension for Rapid to give it a character of its own. I am disappointed with VW's state of tune for Polo/Vento, though the siblings are tuned better than their asian rivals but not good enough considering their other cars.

Another edge Skoda cars have in each and every segment here in India is in the steering feel, hope Skoda contunues this in Rapid.

Though i do not like the over conservative VW design language, but here the Vento looks better to my eyes. Rapid's curvy front does not really look nice with the straight lines on the side. The Skoda C theme tail lights look good though.(Comments based on pics i have seen, i have not seen the car in person).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks