Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:36   #121

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Looks like its gonna end up looking like the Laura at the rear end and the Vision D concept front on. With Skoda elements, the car may look more upmarket i feel...
Hope it works out the way you have mentioned. But some of the reports suggest that the headlights of the car might look similar to that of Fabia's. For me that would be a disappointment.
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:30   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingStripes View Post
Hope it works out the way you have mentioned. But some of the reports suggest that the headlights of the car might look similar to that of Fabia's. For me that would be a disappointment.
The Fabia's curved headlamps would not suit the straight lines of the Vento much. But, going by the looks of the test mules, the head lamps would be closer to the Vision-D concept than the Fabia. Definitely looks promising!
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:21   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
The test mules do look launch ready.

Looking at the price difference b/w Fabia and Polo, case should be similar here as well. Skoda might play around with the goodies being offered in the variants.
I didn't get how do you look at the price difference between Polo and Fabia. There used to be a good difference between them (around ~20-30K) but from this April onwards Skoda hiked Fabia prices and now its almost comparable with Polo. I'm looking for top-end petrol Fabia (Elegance) and difference is <10K for HL Polo.

I personally like the Fabia as a whole package, otherwise considering the costs of missing features from Fabia like electronically adjustable ORVMs, rear wash wiper and defogger, makes it costlier than Polo! Except good space and rear ac vents (I'm assuming that Polo doesn't come with it) there isn't more to offer from Fabia, as compared to Polo.

Anyways, my motive was not to compare these two cars but to inform that there is not much difference between the two. And if somebody takes into account the features offered, Fabia looks even bit costlier, specially after the April price hike.
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:58   #124
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand this point. When the Polo and the Fabia are totally different Visually, now why is Skoda using the Vento's body for the Rapid? So now only the Fabia would be the distinguished car of the four!
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:01   #125
Senior - BHPian

That's what I am trying to say, the difference isn't much, Skoda doesn't have much space to play around on the pricing front.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:27   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I don't understand this point. When the Polo and the Fabia are totally different Visually, now why is Skoda using the Vento's body for the Rapid? So now only the Fabia would be the distinguished car of the four!
Fabia is based on a older platform, so making a Sedan keeping the Fabia as the base would not be as good option as the Fabia is already past most of the lifecycle. Choosing the Rapid to be based on the Vento will be much easier and cheaper option.

I feel Skoda would be wise enough to engrave the Skoda design language to the Rapid, to be able to distinguish it from the Vento and make it instantly recognisable as a Skoda.

Even if they manage to price it below the Vento, there is not much on equipment which they can consider to delete. In comparison to the future competition(Verna, Fiesta etc) the even Vento's equipment list feels too basic. A smarter way will be to get more equipment for Vento and get most of it to the Rapid.

Just like last fews years were dedicated for launches in hatchback segment, 2011 is going to be the year of Sub 10L sedans. Eagerly awaiting the positioning, equipment and pricing information on all the upcoming sedans.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:31   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I don't understand this comment. All Skoda cars are priced below their VW siblings. Its a part of their band positioning.
Internationally, I do think all Skoda cars are priced below the VW siblings.

However, as Skoda was in the Indian market before VW and the existing Skoda prices during VW entry period would have resulted in VW over-pricing their cars, Skoda was left with the option of either reducing prices or discontinuing existing models to launch cheaper variants.

Since the old Fabia was more expensive than the Polo, the launch of the new Fabia at a reduced price. Other than the Fabia/Polo category, and the Octavia/Jetta category to some extend, I dont think Skoda and VW had any other cars in India in the same category. So no price clashes.

But there is one thing I don't quite get. Shouldn't the Jetta and the Octavia be in the same category, with the Vento in a lower class? One explanation might be that the Skoda Rapid is a new category of Skoda and not a replacement to the Octavia, and the replacement to the Octavia will be launched at a later date and priced above the Vento but below the new Jetta.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:48   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
But there is one thing I don't quite get. Shouldn't the Jetta and the Octavia be in the same category, with the Vento in a lower class? One explanation might be that the Skoda Rapid is a new category of Skoda and not a replacement to the Octavia, and the replacement to the Octavia will be launched at a later date and priced above the Vento but below the new Jetta.
Rapid is Vento in different clothing, so how can you expect it to be positioned in a segment above. Internationally Octavia was replaced by Octavia II= Laura, but in India they were selling 2 generations of Octavia together. It's like when NHC replaced the OHC, NHC was cheaper and a segment lower.

BTW Skoda has introduced cheaper Basic Models of Laura over time to fill the gap created after the departure of the Octavia.

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd May 2011 at 17:50.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:00   #129
BHPian

Completely forgot about the Laura!! My mistake. The Laura is the new Octavia. So the Octavia replacement (i.e., the Laura) should be cheaper than the new Jetta.

To clarify, I was not saying that the Rapid is to be priced above the Vento, but trying to indicate that it would not be right to say the Skoda Rapid is a replacement to the Octavia, but it would actually a new category of Skoda.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:26   #130
Senior - BHPian

Another artist's impression (Courtesy: Skoda Rapid Sedan | Theophilus Chin) :
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-5656465987_ebdb333151_b.jpg  

Old 6th May 2011, 19:54   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another artist's impression (Courtesy: Skoda Rapid Sedan | Theophilus Chin) :
The grill should be bit more wider for the car to show the Skoda character! The artist has left the rear as is! You can easily make out its a Vento from the side & rear portions.

I never found anything wrong with the Skoda grills ! They looks quite ok. This one is just not there!
Old 11th May 2011, 13:51   #132
BHPian

Here is a picture people!!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-227817_10150188586660827_736885826_6906864_2785286_n.jpg  

Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 14:26   #133
Senior - BHPian

It looks launch ready!
Old 11th May 2011, 15:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It looks launch ready!
I dont think so These initial batch of prototypes would be masked with camouflage would undergo lakhs of kms of testing and then the original production would begin.

And from the initial pics, I dont like the integration of the Fabia's rounded nose with the straight lines of the Vento. Hope its the picture that makes it seem bad to me.
I dont want the Rapid to be criticized for its nose integration like the Dezire is being criticized for its boot integration Skoda would want to do something about that in the early stages itself.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 11th May 2011 at 15:20. Reason: Additional content.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 15:16   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Here is a picture people!!
If this is the final version, I must say it looks disappointing. We were expecting something better but the Headlamps and front end seems to be from Fabia and rest of the body is from Vento with minimal changes(Look at the C Pillar). So this is just a rebadged Vento with minor changes to front end and backside.

Let's wait for some more pics.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks