Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 17:30   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

VW wants position it's own products at a premium compared to it's stepchild Skoda but this is easier said than done. Look at the new VW Passat, Why is it priced cheaper than the best seller in segment- Skoda Superb? This despite the fact that Passat is a new car, comes with better equipment and 170 hp version of the same Engine(not too long till Superb gets this engine).

Look closely at the picture published by ACI. It's a no brainer PS job with Vento body, Skoda grille and Imaginary headlamps. Let's wait for actual car's pics before debating on the design and looks. One thing confirmed though is the choice of engines, the Rapid will get the same engines as the Vento.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

I dont like the now Octavia replacement. The reasons why the Octavia was a super hit in India are amongst these;
1) Fantastic and competition crushing prices
2) Rocker of an engine and gearbox
3) Rock solid build quality
4) Safety features standard across all the variants
5) Awesome fuel economy
6) Nice big car look.

If Skoda flinches on any of the above, they will loose the plot. They have seen what a price sensitive market like India needs. They tried stuff and failed everywhere. The Superb also succeeded only after the prices were dropped and a better car emerged. The FAbia is not doing numbers because of the price. Their petrol cars dont sell, except of course the superb and now the Laura to some extent, so if they try stunts with what has been their bread and butter brand, the Octavia, they're doomed. Now they have real competition on their hands with the new Verna, the arriving Honda City Diesel and their own Vento. Octavia still looks and feels like a bigger car than all these and also si built better than any of these. The only problem is really expensive parts but the plain Jane Octavias lasted and lasted and are still lasting. IMHO Skoda should no bring a sassy pansy looking car which resembles a Fabia with a boot. Wrong move Skoda.
Old 25th April 2011, 23:35   #93
PPS
Senior - BHPian

One of the readers of Velociti Magazine has taken spyshots of the Rapid . Here's the link -- Spied - Skoda Rapid testing in Aurangabad | Indian Autos blog
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 23:53   #94
BHPian

@PPS- Thanks you for posting such a wonderful information. The car is same as the vento and only changes are cosmetic i believe. It has same seats, rear quarter glass and same dashboard. Hope this will be priced lesser than the vento.
Old 26th April 2011, 00:43   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
One of the readers of Velociti Magazine has taken spyshots of the Rapid . Here's the link -- Spied - Skoda Rapid testing in Aurangabad | Indian Autos blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
@PPS- Thanks you for posting such a wonderful information. The car is same as the vento and only changes are cosmetic i believe. It has same seats, rear quarter glass and same dashboard. Hope this will be priced lesser than the vento.
I dont think both Vento and Rapid will have the same equipment list. Vento should be having some differentiating factor from Rapid. So I strongly feel that Rapid will have some features cut from it - like what they did to facelifted Fabia. And its almost certain that this will be priced below Vento - so all the more reason to cut down on features since both Vento & Rapid will have the same engine spec.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th April 2011 at 00:45.
Old 26th April 2011, 01:33   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more from the grapevine, on how the SK251 varies from its VW namesake:
  • Headlamps will be like the Fabia's. The Rapid gets new taillights with "typical Skoda design elements".
  • Inside a Rapid, you cold be excused for thinking you are in a Vento except for the black carpet (major sore point for Vento owners!) and seat covers. Steering wheel and gear lever will be typically Skoda.
  • The brown shade instead of Vento's brey for the plastics could evoke mixed reactions, though in combination with the black, apparently doesn't look bad.
  • Overall, looks better than Vento with the masculine bonnet lines and the logo adding character. Sibling-cannibalisation is expected.
  • 15" alloys like the Vento but with 7-8 arrow shaped spokes. The Vento has plain Jane alloys- these, in typical Skoda tradition, will look good.
  • Skoda suffers the lack of imagination on its parent: no new colors. red, white, black, silver and cappuccino beige. Only difference is the red probably suits the Skoda better than the VW equivalent.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:54   #97
Team-BHP Support

Chances are that it will offer the same colours as the Vento as they will be built along side each other
Old 26th April 2011, 10:30   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Inside a Rapid, you cold be excused for thinking you are in a Vento except for the black carpet (major sore point for Vento owners!) and seat covers. Steering wheel and gear lever will be typically Skoda.
The brown shade instead of Vento's brey for the plastics could evoke mixed reactions, though in combination with the black, apparently doesn't look bad.
Skodas are known to make classic black-beige coloured combination interiors and not some funny colours. I wish the do the same with this car. A classic black (dash)-beige (rest).

EDIT: Any realistic dates for this car? I know some blogs/mags have reported Diwali. I take such assertions with a pinch of salt as they tend to give some speculative dates as if they are obliged to do so. It has very little real life relevance.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 26th April 2011 at 10:32.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:52   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
VW wants position it's own products at a premium compared to it's stepchild Skoda but this is easier said than done. Look at the new VW Passat, Why is it priced cheaper than the best seller in segment- Skoda Superb? This despite the fact that Passat is a new car, comes with better equipment and 170 hp version of the same Engine(not too long till Superb gets this engine).

Look closely at the picture published by ACI. It's a no brainer PS job with Vento body, Skoda grille and Imaginary headlamps. Let's wait for actual car's pics before debating on the design and looks. One thing confirmed though is the choice of engines, the Rapid will get the same engines as the Vento.
The partly reason I feel behind the pricing strategy is to avoid getting dangerously close to BMW 320 Corp edition. VW can never beat BMW in brand value. We Indians are anyways crazy about badge than the product itself. For us, Passat with so many innovative features at lower price is always welcome
Old 26th April 2011, 13:16   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
The partly reason I feel behind the pricing strategy is to avoid getting dangerously close to BMW 320 Corp edition. VW can never beat BMW in brand value. We Indians are anyways crazy about badge than the product itself. For us, Passat with so many innovative features at lower price is always welcome
There is a reason why BMW 5 sells more than 3 despite cheaper variants like CE, Luxury car buyers want Space and Size. The 3 series is so tight inside that even a Corolla feels spacious in comparison. The 3 is for who love to drive and 5 for those who want space and flaunt value.

Both Passat and Superb are full one size larger than the 3. But they are nowhere as agile as the 3, which feels like a well trained athlete.
Old 26th April 2011, 13:30   #101
Senior - BHPian

Here are few spy pics of the Skoda Rapid
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-rapid.jpg

Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-rapid-2.jpg

Source : Indian Autos Blog

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th April 2011 at 13:39. Reason: Attached the pics properly
Old 26th April 2011, 13:39   #102
BHPian

Indian Autos Blog says that the new Rapid was testing in Aurangabad. It means the launch is very near.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:39   #103

Quote:
Headlamps will be like the Fabia's. The Rapid gets new taillights with "typical Skoda design elements".
I would really hate it, if it comes with Fabia's headlights. i would love to see the design philosophy of the vision D carried over to the Rapid.

I am already in a conundrum choosing between the new verna and the new fiesta. I am going to wait for the Rapid, only if it looks no where close to how the fabia looks. (Autocar's rendering of the Rapid, is what I would like to see for real. Please GOD......)

@noopster,
Could you please check if the new Rapid would have Fabia's headlights for sure. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:01   #104
Team-BHP Support

So basically, this will be a re-skinned Fabia with a boot?

I hope it does not carry the Fabia's design elements; if it does, then I'm afraid Skoda has done a Maruti-Suzuki by designing their version of a Dzire. As we all know, the Swift, in profile, doesn't look very different from the Fabia. lame it on the wrap-around glass-house.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:08   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So basically, this will be a re-skinned Fabia with a boot?
No. Please go through few recent posts, the Rapid will be a re skinned version of the VW Vento, with the Skoda Design elements. The Chassis, Suspension and Drivetrains will all be same. Look at the Scoop pics, the profile looks similar to a Vento. It's not Fabia with a DZirish boot.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed