Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 18:11   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Chances are that it will offer the same colours as the Vento as they will be built along side each other
Well...not really. The Polo and Fabia are built side by side and have their distinctive colours, don't they? Skoda gets cappucino beige while VW gets terra beige, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingStripes View Post
I would really hate it, if it comes with Fabia's headlights. i would love to see the design philosophy of the vision D carried over to the Rapid.
@noopster,
Could you please check if the new Rapid would have Fabia's headlights for sure. Thanks in advance.
Yup- that's confirmed. The test versions have Fabia Elegance headlamps, including the DRLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So basically, this will be a re-skinned Fabia with a boot?
Nope. What .anshuman said ^^- it's pretty much a Vento, with Skoda design elements infused to retain the characteristic family look.

Quote:
I hope it does not carry the Fabia's design elements; if it does, then I'm afraid Skoda has done a Maruti-Suzuki by designing their version of a Dzire. As we all know, the Swift, in profile, doesn't look very different from the Fabia. lame it on the wrap-around glass-house.
From all reports (I have not seen it myself) the Rapid is a better looker than the Vento. I don't think there is the SLIGHTEST chance of it being mistaken for a Dzire. (Yeah, I know that's not what you said but couldn't help myself!)

I do think the speculation of Diwali launch is wrong: the Rapid may be launched as early as July-August. Re: maintaining a positioning difference between Skoda and VW, a feature-upgraded Vento launch is round the corner. The upgraded vento will include new HU for ICE, steering-mounted controls, leatherette seat covers as an option, USB plug in glove box, and the absolute icing on the cake, semi-smoked headlamps (to be confirmed).

Basically everything that Gen 1 owners self included have been grumbling about.
Old 27th April 2011, 18:24   #107
Senior - BHPian

re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

This one, looks to be a killer! However, the spy shots show that it does wear a lot of the Laura clothes. The boot is very similar to that of the current gen Laura.

The dealers do mention that the pricing would be of that of the current Vento. Give or take a few K's.

I completely agree, that calling it a Fabia sedan would be blasphemous (If I may say that), it is a Vento in Skoda clothes. Thats the best way to put it.

If the dealers are to be believed, the "Rapid" would be officially launched in the 3rd quarter of this year. Not only that, Skoda plans to unveil another car in the last quarter of 2011. This would be a hatch (entry level at that) and pricing is surely set to blow away minds!
Old 27th April 2011, 18:37   #108
Team-BHP Support

With more of volume segment cars pouring in for Skoda, have they any plan to increase dealer and services network?

That would be another crucial element for their success,
Old 27th April 2011, 18:43   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
No. Please go through few recent posts, the Rapid will be a re skinned version of the VW Vento, with the Skoda Design elements. The Chassis, Suspension and Drivetrains will all be same. Look at the Scoop pics, the profile looks similar to a Vento. It's not Fabia with a DZirish boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Nope. What .anshuman said ^^- it's pretty much a Vento, with Skoda design elements infused to retain the characteristic family look.

From all reports (I have not seen it myself) the Rapid is a better looker than the Vento. I don't think there is the SLIGHTEST chance of it being mistaken for a Dzire. (Yeah, I know that's not what you said but couldn't help myself!)
Oh, apologies. The pictures hadn't loaded earlier. I've been having problems with my internet off late.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief. We have enough sedans looking like their hatch-counterparts, I don't think I'd want to see another one on its way.

And from the pictures, it doesn't look like a hatch with a boot slapped on it. Good to see Skoda designing this car from ground-up, instead of completely basing this on the Fabia. They could have done that and perhaps even gotten away with it, but they didn't.

Good job, Skoda.
Old 28th April 2011, 13:15   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, apologies. The pictures hadn't loaded earlier. I've been having problems with my internet off late.

I'm breathing a sigh of relief. We have enough sedans looking like their hatch-counterparts, I don't think I'd want to see another one on its way.

And from the pictures, it doesn't look like a hatch with a boot slapped on it. Good to see Skoda designing this car from ground-up, instead of completely basing this on the Fabia. They could have done that and perhaps even gotten away with it, but they didn't.

Good job, Skoda.
I'm surprised you had such misgivings from Skoda. No european manufacturer has done a bad job while introducing the sedan that's a hatch counterpart, in the looks department. Linea and Vento being shining examples(the Vento might look a tad bland, nevertheless the boot is well integrated).

In fact I'm pretty sure that the sedan based on the Fabia would in all probability be a better looking than the Vento, and that's saying a lot.
Old 28th April 2011, 13:55   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
I'm surprised you had such misgivings from Skoda. No european manufacturer has done a bad job while introducing the sedan that's a hatch counterpart, in the looks department. Linea and Vento being shining examples(the Vento might look a tad bland, nevertheless the boot is well integrated).

In fact I'm pretty sure that the sedan based on the Fabia would in all probability be a better looking than the Vento, and that's saying a lot.
Actually, it was a very general statement. Be it a Jap or an Euro car, I would prefer a proper hatch or a proper sedan, and not a sedan-ed hatch, if I may.

What I don't like is the new trend in 'converting' perfectly good hatchbacks into sedans. True, it works well for our market, and as a regular follower of automobiles, I would definitely recommend someone to go in for such a sedan. But as an enthusiast, personally, I would never buy or recommend such cars. It's basically, a case of listening to the heart, over the head, if you know what I mean.

The new Rapid, I'm sure, would be a quality product. It should be great VFM.

For the record, I'm a fan of European-cars, especially their roubst character and amazing build-quality.
Old 28th April 2011, 14:23   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Look closely at the picture published by ACI. It's a no brainer PS job with Vento body, Skoda grille and Imaginary headlamps.
Yes, the headlamps look super close to the Vision D concept from the Geneva motor show.

By the way, apparently this could be the first Skoda with a traditional boot. I thought the current notchback kind of a boot is great.

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th April 2011 at 14:24. Reason: spelling
Old 28th April 2011, 15:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do think the speculation of Diwali launch is wrong: the Rapid may be launched as early as July-August. Re: maintaining a positioning difference between Skoda and VW, a feature-upgraded Vento launch is round the corner. The upgraded vento will include new HU for ICE, steering-mounted controls, leatherette seat covers as an option, USB plug in glove box, and the absolute icing on the cake, semi-smoked headlamps (to be confirmed).
Is it a surmise or you have confirmed info. Is it from the Factory or some other source?
Old 28th April 2011, 16:11   #114
BHPian

Hope the new Rapid comes with a vRS version too
I think the Rapid will be the 1st Skoda car to be priced under its sibling rival (the Vento). India must be an amusing market for the VW group.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 28th April 2011, 16:15   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope the new Rapid comes with a vRS version too
I think the Rapid will be the 1st Skoda car to be priced under its sibling rival (the Vento). India must be an amusing market for the VW group.

Cheers!
Rohan
I don't understand this comment. All Skoda cars are priced below their VW siblings. Its a part of their band positioning.
Old 28th April 2011, 16:59   #116
BHPian

Quote:
What I don't like is the new trend in 'converting' perfectly good hatchbacks into sedans. True, it works well for our market, and as a regular follower of automobiles, I would definitely recommend someone to go in for such a sedan. But as an enthusiast, personally, I would never buy or recommend such cars. It's basically, a case of listening to the heart, over the head, if you know what I mean.
The new Rapid, I'm sure, would be a quality product. It should be great VFM. .
I on the other hand, think that such sedans make perfect sense for our country where the average purchasing power is still less. the category you have mentioned starts only at the D segment sedans. Wish we all had the moolah for that Suhaas I guess where you are coming from is the way sedans like Dezire have been designed. Well I too agree that a person is better off buying a Swift in such a case.

Sedans like Linea, Vento (even ANHC wrt the Jazz) on the other hand look propotionate and classy, no one minds them being extensions of hatchbacks (also because in many ways they are not). God willing, the Rapid will add to this segment. I'm no Skoda fan, but can't find fault with any of their vehicles on the looks deartment, and that includes the Fabia.

Last edited by avisidhu : 28th April 2011 at 17:00. Reason: restricted smileys
Old 28th April 2011, 17:55   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I on the other hand, think that such sedans make perfect sense for our country where the average purchasing power is still less. the category you have mentioned starts only at the D segment sedans. Wish we all had the moolah for that
Oh I completely agree. I've even mentioned it in my previous post.

It makes quite a lot of sense, in our market, where people want sedans that aren't expensive to run or maintain. That also could be attributed to the idea people have about hatchbacks and sedans and their pricing strategies. A sedan that's cheaper than a hatch in our country would be politically incorrect.

Quote:
Suhaas I guess where you are coming from is the way sedans like Dezire have been designed. Well I too agree that a person is better off buying a Swift in such a case.

Sedans like Linea, Vento (even ANHC wrt the Jazz) on the other hand look propotionate and classy, no one minds them being extensions of hatchbacks (also because in many ways they are not). God willing, the Rapid will add to this segment. I'm no Skoda fan, but can't find fault with any of their vehicles on the looks deartment, and that includes the Fabia.
Actually, no. This has nothing to do with the Dzire and the way it looks.

It's just the way I look at things and the way I perceive them. I've never liked hatch-backs that have been turned into sedans. Yes, they work brilliantly in developing markets, where there are customers would literally queue up for them. Whenever I find myself sitting in a sedan-ed car, however impressive they might be, I always think of them as just sedans with boots. In fact, even the Jetta isn't really my cup of tea!

It's just one of my idiosyncrasies.

Like how I'm not a fan of Hyundai or anything Korean, even though they're known to roll out fabulous products off-late. I drive a Santro, for Christ's sake, and it's unfortunately, not by choice!

I must change my perceptions!

Anyway, getting back to the topic. The Rapid sounds like a very good package. Hope Skoda don't compromise on features. As some others have mentioned, it should be not very different from the Vento in terms of features. Let's hope they provide essential safety-kit, like airbags and ABS as standard on all variants.

Any details about the interior? I hope they don't make it boring

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th April 2011 at 18:02.
Old 30th April 2011, 13:28   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do think the speculation of Diwali launch is wrong: the Rapid may be launched as early as July-August.
The test mules do look launch ready.

Looking at the price difference b/w Fabia and Polo, case should be similar here as well. Skoda might play around with the goodies being offered in the variants.
Old 30th April 2011, 13:37   #119
BHPian

Does anyone know if it has the same transmission tunnel issue as the Vento? Hope Skoda have addressed it at a smaller (!) level.

Quote:
semi-smoked headlamps (to be confirmed).
Wow! Those gorgeous headlamps with turning lights integrated into fog lamps will be a real treat. http://www.autopressnews.com/2009/03..._headlight.jpg. VW: Please bless us with it.

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 30th April 2011 at 13:44.
Old 30th April 2011, 13:44   #120
Senior - BHPian

Looks like its gonna end up looking like the Laura at the rear end and the Vision D concept front on. With Skoda elements, the car may look more upmarket i feel...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed