Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 12:25   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

I guess they will differentiate by offering an AT in the Diesel which is currently not available in the Vento. Makes sense to have 2 cars in the same segment, as customers lost to other brands could remain with the VW group.
Old 7th September 2011, 18:27   #257
Senior - BHPian

Re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento! Edit: It will be called Lauretta

But the only issue is the news about the diesel tranny sounded more like a wishful thinking and a mere speculation. Atleast to start with, it is only going to come with the same 1.6 petrol and diesel powerplants from the Vento stable.

If skoda does bring in the auto tranny, then it is a big differentiating factor from vento and it will address the lack of choice for the buyer looking for a AT diesel sedan below 10 lakhs.
Old 7th September 2011, 19:04   #258
BHPian

You never know. If the Lauretta comes with the Diesel AT option, then VW maybe offer the same AT option for the Vento as well. IMO, Why would they miss out on this opportunity?

The marketing gimmicks these Auto cars companies will undertake, is unimaginable!
Old 8th September 2011, 10:52   #259
BANNED

Lauretta disguised as a VW caught by Sirish Chandran. Image from his twitter page.

Quote:
Fabia sedans undergoing testing are carrying VW badges. Bang identical to Vento except for Fabia nose & Skoda 'wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-p4xy.jpg  

Old 8th September 2011, 11:22   #260
BHPian

I believe the rear lights will be similar to the laura's.There are two patches beneath the vento rear lights and that clearly means the skoda lights will be much larger.It would be much more good looking than the vento for sure.
Hope the interiors have some sprucing up == lots of chrome
Old 8th September 2011, 12:42   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys- please don't bash me for this, but it's possible Skoda are seriously reconsidering the "Lauretta" monicker. Sources say the online bashing of the name has stung the company hard and they may well revert (YES I used "revert" correctly!) to the original choice.

What about IPR issues, you ask? Well- apparently they may risk it since the Rapide isn't launched in India.

Skoda Rapid it is then! Great decision by the company and definitely one that will impact sales positively IMHO!

Edit: offtopic perhaps but if true this just goes to show the power of opinion in the internet age. T-BHP and others shoul take a bow! Perhaps NOW Indian auto companies will start taking their online presence a bit more seriously.

Last edited by noopster : 8th September 2011 at 12:51.
noopster is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 12:48   #262
Senior - BHPian

Oh come on Noop (and Skoda)! Make up your mind will you? Rapid > Lauretta > Rapid. For all we know they might just come up with a new name all together. Call it "Octavietta" (replacement of Octavia).

Good news is, the ridiculous name is being re-considered. Another good news is, the test car snaps have started leaking on the net. If these pictures are anything to go by, the car looks swell indeed.

Now, launch it with the AT Diesel and see the sales chart on fire!
Old 8th September 2011, 14:15   #263
BHPian

@noop! Monickers aren't ready! So does it mean production is yet to start?? Is Skoda considering Felicia by any chance!

OT: if Team-BHP has a voice in Skoda, then why is @harishv still going through what he is going through!
Old 8th September 2011, 15:14   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

@2cents: Production is in full swing dude! This car should be launched just before Diwali.

I think Rapid is a much nicer name than Felicia. Also Fabia and Felicia sound like the Bobbsey twins.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Skoda or its parent company in any way. Please exercise due caution and discretion when using the contents of my posts. Read the red herring prospectus carefully before investing. Contains no fruit juice or fruit pulp.

Last edited by noopster : 8th September 2011 at 15:16.
Old 8th September 2011, 16:18   #265
BHPian

Me thinks they should also change the Fabesque grill to the old Octavia grill or the Mission L car grill...and if they can make that nose a little less Bulbous . I hate Bulbous nose cars ! Come on Skoda
Old 8th September 2011, 17:05   #266
Senior - BHPian

Sensible decision to revert back the name, if it happens. And on close look at the rear picture posted above, I feel it looks more like the laura compared to the vento, which IMO is actually pretty good. They have masked it pretty well to hide the details, but then the crease do show up beneath the camoflauge!

I hope skoda offers this with more wide range of colour choices compared to its VW cousin.
Old 12th September 2011, 11:12   #267
BHPian

They should make the front end better! Agree with rxpaul. Pls skoda!
Good rear design! I hope they write the name of the car 'Rapid' in the centre of the boot, like they have done in the superb. Also is there a unveiling of this car at the frankfurt motor show? Any Idea?
Old 12th September 2011, 16:03   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Disclaimer: I am not associated with Skoda or its parent company in any way. Please exercise due caution and discretion when using the contents of my posts. Read the red herring prospectus carefully before investing. Contains no fruit juice or fruit pulp.
Hilarious!

Personally, "Rapid" is a much nicer and purposeful name. "Lauretta" is random, to be honest. Why try so hard to sound similar to Laura when that itself is not the smartest name that the company has come up with till date!
Old 13th September 2011, 21:37   #269
BHPian

The Skoda sedan for India, to be based on VW Vento will NOT be called Lauretta, says Sorabjee, Autocar India editor. Here is his tweet:Skoda to launch Lauretta on Oct 7th in India. Only it may not be the Lauretta. Skoda India wants to change name AGAIN!

It was Rapid, then Lauretta and now? Rapidetta?
Old 13th September 2011, 21:42   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Good to know T-BHP is a few days ahead of Mr. Sorabjee...again
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed