Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 17:52   #481
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If I may hazard a guess on the logic behind the Skoda Rapid's launch, it may have something to do with the spare production capacity that the VAG group has at it's Chakan plant. This plant was setup at a huge cost and AFAIK, it has a production capacity of 110,000 vehicles per annum. The basket of products currently being made there are:
Skoda Fabia (1400 # Oct2011), VW Polo (3340) , Vento (3474) , Jetta + Passat (546). Total : 8760 (Oct). However on a average, assuming around 8000 cars per month of sales of existing models. By adding the Rapid (which would have been less than 20 Cr investment to develop due to part similarity), they would aim for sales of another 1000# per month, under the Skoda brand. This car would also fill the gap on an entry level sedan below the Laura and at the same time, give VW access to more B class / Tier 2 cities where Skoda has a presence and VW currently does not. It will help VW take its plant utilization to 100% and also increase overall sales for the VW group.
It is a decent business strategy aimed at maximizing returns from resources.
Also, the profitability of sedan models in India is higher than their corresponding hatchback versions. Costwise, the incremental cost is not more than 30K rupees for a car of this class while the difference in selling price is higher by 1.2 lacs (resulting in higher profits for the sedan version).
Eventually for Skoda, Fabia buyers may also migrate to the Rapid, resulting in an improved portfolio mix for Skoda India and better profitability.

Regards,
Behemoth
Thats an excellent explanation. Puts things in perspective.

At the same time, they should be careful to the price the Rapid appropriately so that it does not cannibalize the sister concern Vento.

Lack of steering mounted controls, bluetooth and of course the brand image will give an edge to the Vento, IMO.
Old 4th November 2011, 18:40   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
is the interior color combination same as that of vento? looks dull.
On the contrary, the interiors are pretty bright and airy, and share the same beige as the Vento. The pics there have been taken in a darkened room hence that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
The dealer i visited said the same thing. Prices etc should be out by the 11th and the display car will be available in Delhi by the 15th as per them.
The official launch is on November 16th, so prices will be disclosed only on that date, not earlier. Bookings will start immediately after the official launch.

Expect deliveries by the last week of November, tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
confusion on this issue , the link posted by Scorcher above to the carwale first drive clearly states " In addition, the Ambition and the Elegance can also be ordered with a 6-speed conventional automatic ‘box."
No confusion. There is no diesel AT option offered in the Rapid as of now. Maybe in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Thats an excellent explanation. Puts things in perspective.

At the same time, they should be careful to the price the Rapid appropriately so that it does not cannibalize the sister concern Vento.

Lack of steering mounted controls, bluetooth and of course the brand image will give an edge to the Vento, IMO.
Exactly. I agree with what Noops said above.

What the Rapid will do is give another option to the 6.5 lakh - 9 lakh buyer, along with the Verna, City, Linea & Vento. Even if the pie is split 5 ways (let's assume evenly for the sake of argument), the share of Rapid + Vento will be 40%, which is a clear majority over the other three.

The only real threat will be obviously from the Verna (now that Honda will have issues with City's sales for the next 3 months at least, and Linea's pretty much buried by Fiat itself), but now with a safer and settled option in the Rapid at 35-40K lesser the price of a Verna, I can see Verna's sales getting dented.

Also, the initial "wow" factor associated with the "Fluidic" looks has slowly gone down. It will be interesting to see if Verna maintains it's 4500+ monthly sales in the months to come.

The fit, finish and performance of the Rapid are obviously top-notch. Barring apprehensions of Skoda's A.S.S. by skeptical buyers, I foresee the Rapid settling down into a nice ~1400-1500 bracket in monthly sales. Combine that with around ~3500 Ventos every month, and that is ~5000 sales for the VW-Skoda combine. If they top the 5K numbers, even better.

Good things are ahead for the European duo. The Rapid could not have been launched at a better date. Perfect timing, actually.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th November 2011 at 18:49.
Old 4th November 2011, 18:44   #483
Senior - BHPian

According to autocar, Rapid has
  • better ride & handling
  • better steering feedback
  • more redined diesel
  • more peppy petrol
They also stated Vento's ride is not flat & it pitches. I don't know how and I don't care. Although I dont trust any of these bookish reviews, I think if it somehow turns out to be true, VW will be struggling to sell Vento at a premium.
Old 4th November 2011, 18:47   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

SVP from the C&B show seem to be blown away by the Rapid diesel's handling. Cant wait to get a glimpse of the car on the show this week.

Now Skoda only if you can price the car well. I do believe in the fact that once they garner some volumes the servicing experience will improve owing to the bigger exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Although I dont trust any of these bookish reviews, I think if it somehow turns out to be true, VW will be struggling to sell Vento at a premium.
I doubt that it will outsell Vento. From my interaction with people ( family and friends), VW is considered more luxurious and aspirational. Also the fact that its a relatively new brand in India and already has a handsome road presence owing to 2 good looking cars, Polo and Vento.

Also remember that most sales in this segment are going to be for the diesel variant which will not come with the additional Skoda shield free of cost. I hope they offer it at a reasonable price.

Last edited by drmohitg : 4th November 2011 at 18:51.
Old 4th November 2011, 20:01   #485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
According to autocar, Rapid has
[*] better ride & handling[*] better steering feedback[*] more redined diesel[*] more peppy petrolThey also stated Vento's ride is not flat & it pitches. I don't know how and I don't care. Although I dont trust any of these bookish reviews, I think if it somehow turns out to be true, VW will be struggling to sell Vento at a premium.
I can understand tinkering with cosmetic features but If the two cars are so similar I don't understand how one of them comes with such distinct inherent attributes. And if they are capable of providing above superior attributes why deny the Vento the same???

Separately, I'm at a loss to understand why they can't offer diesel ATs. It seems like a commercial no brainer to me. Just because I'm a semi premier customer who wants the convenience of an AT doesn't mean I can easily afford it in petrol guise. I wish there were more ppl offering diesel ATs in this segment as well as the premium hatch segment at least. I'm sure they would have takers.
Old 4th November 2011, 20:23   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I can understand tinkering with cosmetic features but If the two cars are so similar I don't understand how one of them comes with such distinct inherent attributes. And if they are capable of providing above superior attributes why deny the Vento the same???

Separately, I'm at a loss to understand why they can't offer diesel ATs. It seems like a commercial no brainer to me. Just because I'm a semi premier customer who wants the convenience of an AT doesn't mean I can easily afford it in petrol guise. I wish there were more ppl offering diesel ATs in this segment as well as the premium hatch segment at least. I'm sure they would have takers.
Personally I feel Vento & Rapid will be as similar to drive as Fabia & Polo. So waiting for the official review here. I also fail to understand why deprive AT to diesel customers. Sure it will make is costly by 50K but there are people out there looking for it. The top management is just a bunch of jokers if they think they can lure those customers into buying a Laura or Jetta AT.

But 1 thing I seriously appreciate is that the Rapid is providing ABS & driver side airbags on the mid variant.

So here is me putting my money on the sales figure of Rapid. Although I would like to see Vento to be in the front because we bought it.
Old 4th November 2011, 21:31   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI video review of Skoda Rapid !

swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 21:31   #488
BHPian

Few more pics of the Rapid from the car's media launch/drive which happened today at Jaipur.

Phote Feature: Pics from Skoda Rapid media drive

Last edited by manjot1912 : 4th November 2011 at 21:33.
manjot1912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 22:46   #489
Senior - BHPian

right , that makes sense , maybe she was telling me that the dealers might get the pricing information ( for their own consumption) by around the 11th , ofcourse she could be totally wrong in everything she has told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The official launch is on November 16th, so prices will be disclosed only on that date, not earlier. Bookings will start immediately after the official launch.

Expect deliveries by the last week of November, tops.

Old 4th November 2011, 22:47   #490
Senior - BHPian

About 40-50 K lesser than the Vento.
Old 4th November 2011, 23:10   #491
Senior - BHPian

I'd still go for the Vento over the Rapid just for its looks! I don't like the Rapid from any angle. It doesn't look half as good as the Vento (in the pics at least)
Old 4th November 2011, 23:51   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
I'd still go for the Vento over the Rapid just for its looks! I don't like the Rapid from any angle. It doesn't look half as good as the Vento (in the pics at least)
+1 to that. I still prefer Vento's neat lines. One thing that will go Rapid's way is it will be tad cheaper than Vento and it has a middle variant with Driver Airbag and some more features. Vento badly needs a middle variant, the Trendline version is a sales dud !
Old 5th November 2011, 21:09   #493
Team-BHP Support

Is the dashboard color scheme different from that of the Vento, or is it identical?
Old 5th November 2011, 21:28   #494
BHPian

The car seems to be really Promising & even more promising than VW Vento, thanks to its more Mature & Stand-out stance.
But what really a Question-mark for Skoda is their After Sales Service & Spare Parts area.
Or Skoda is cleverly marketing their cars i.e Selling first at cheaper prices than corresponding VWs & then Servicing with providing its Spares at relatively higher rates.

Btw, Another important info I got from my friend today -Many reputed Insurance companies have stopped providing Insurance & Claim services to Skoda cars as Dealers used to misuse it for shelling fatter Accident & part replacement claim amounts.
Old 5th November 2011, 21:34   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is the dashboard color scheme different from that of the Vento, or is it identical?
Here is the pic of the dash in the Rapid.

courtesy: motorbeam
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/skoda-...-drive-review/
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Rapid based on VW Vento begins production. Launch on 16th November, 2011-7927__540x375_2011_skoda_rapid_08.jpg  

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th November 2011 at 21:35.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks